Review by WWFrank -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WWFrank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wwfrank.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review by WWFrank -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by WWFrank »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give this book by Robert Leet 4 out of 4 stars.
This is because it seems professionally edited and that there is nothing I dislike about the book.

At the beginning of the book, our main character is introduced. He is a fourteen year old orphan boy who likes chess. Families probably think of his presence as problematic since he shifts homes often. Despite this, he is grateful and does not really care as long as he has a roof over his head.

Ron mostly likes chess since it engages his brain when not engaged in mathematics. It was pretty much the only subject he was interested in before Regina Russo, a physics professor, began mentoring him. In order to encourage him, they began having regular meetings where they would discuss his grades and Regina could pay him. Dr. Russo shifted Ron's point of view.

She taught him to ask the right question, and that the right question always has the easiest answer.

When Ron decided to move closer to where Regina taught, he rent a small house and moved to the back room since the noise bothered him. His two roommates always paid rent when it was due and he never had any issues with them. Cheryl was a botanist of sorts and Tom was a bright and quiet student who later on befriends Ron.

This book is both educational and entertaining. It focuses on theoretical physics, which at a point one may think is science fiction. Mainly, it focuses on the understanding of time. It is easily understandable as the title itself is Timewise.

It not only focuses on basic physics, but also tackles complex physics such as quantum physics. One of the paragraphs in the book that really made me think is from page 76.
"Consider that we have a series of nearly uncountable Planck intervals between when an event happens, and when it is perceived by human senses, travels through our nervous system where we process it in our brain, and we finally become aware of it ourselves. If you look at it this way, we are aware only of the past-and a distant past at that."

According to this, I understand that what we see is not what is happening currently. It is what happened say, a nanosecond ago.
Then, if you were to observe what is currently happening, you have to have a time machine of sorts. One that sees into the near future and so as you see, it happens. Then, and only then, will we be able to observe the present and not the past.

If you get into your bedroom with your eyes closed, what you see will be easier and faster if by an attosecond, than if you were to get into a random hotel room. That is because your brain is already aware of the room.

If you enter the same sitting room for the hundredth time, but everything has changed and everything feels the same, you will see what you expect for a microsecond, then the brain will become aware of the changes that were made. You, though, will not realize this. You will only see the refined or the 'edited' picture.

"Within a Planck moment, time does not exist. As within an individual pixel, there is only one colour." There is no gradation within it.

Quantum entanglement is discussed and explained. "Awareness creates time." This is because "each moment is aware of the entire command of the preceding moment and creates a new command for the next moment. This transmission is orderly. In any case, time is the result of this sequential awareness" Thus, awareness creates time.

I recommend this book to Physics students who wish to 'study' speculative science, and pretty much anyone 14 and above who has a long concentration span or anyone who wishes to improve their concentration.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pessimists cannot be disappointed.  Optimists cannot be pleasantly surprised.
MrCamunez
Favorite Book: The Most Important Lessons in Economics and Finance
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrcamunez.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by MrCamunez »

Sometimes in order to get the woman of your dreams, you must be willing to sacrifice your comfort zone, just as the main character did when moving to a different place beyond the difficulties that came along. Thank you for the review!
megan433
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan433.html
Latest Review: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom! by Trish Ostroski

Post by megan433 »

I liked that you talked more in depth about the physics discussions in the book! Great review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”