Official Review: Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey" by Robert Fulton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

UP IN THE AIR, A Pilot’s Journey is a memoir written by Robert Fulton. In this book, the author shares his journey as a pilot flying various helicopters and planes. He tells stories from the different jobs he undertook as a pilot.

Robert Fulton always dreamt of flying. His dream came true when he was around twenty years old. The author talks about his unique and spine-chilling experiences flying the helicopter over Alaska in inclement weather. He also contributed as a United States air force pilot during the Vietnam War. He talks about his career as a spray pilot in North Carolina. He has also lifted logs using a helicopter, worked in a commercial airline, and served as an EMS pilot moving patients to hospitals. His careers are explained elaborately in the book that will keep the readers at the edge of their seats.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. What I liked most about the book is the author’s attention to detail. The author has done a remarkable job explaining the essentials of flying a helicopter. His stories about the Vietnam War and flying in Alaska’s whiteout are brilliant. Most of the time, I felt as though I was sitting in the cockpit with him and experiencing everything firsthand. The different landing and spinning incidents the author narrated gave me goosebumps. The author has added real-life pictures that give life to the book. There is also a glossary explaining the different terms used in the flying industry. The book has several funny incidents that add humor to it.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. Like most children, I have dreamt of becoming a pilot too, and it was nice to hear a story about someone who fulfilled his dream. The author tells us about the times when pilots were given minimal wages and had to stay away from family for an extended period. They are many risks in flying, and they were quite a few instances when he miraculously escaped a crash. But this did not stop Robert Fulton from doing something he adored and enjoyed. His passion and love for flying are evident in the way he describes each flying machine that he has flown or purchased.

This book is well-written and professionally edited. There was never a dull moment in this book. It is full of vigor and thrills. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to everyone above the age of 15. It is a must-read book for those who aspire to become a pilot or are interested in flying. There is a trick or two that any pilot can learn from this book.

Up in the Air, a pilot’s journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I'm also interested in flying - I mean, who isn't? That makes this one a must read for me. Thanks a lot for such a great review 👌
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Would like to hear the story of a pilot. Thank you for introducing this book.
Dr D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-d.html
Latest Review: The Internet President: None of the Above by P.G. Sundling
Reading Device: B07QCCW5KB

Post by Dr D »

I recently reviewed a similar book, and boy, these books take you too a whole new world, one which us surface dwellers can't even imagine. Thanks for the review. Will definitely read it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”