Official Review: Why A Refuge by Michael George

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Why A Refuge by Michael George

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why A Refuge" by Michael George.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mack’s career of riding bulls with the rodeo has ended after a severe injury during his last ride. After being released from the hospital, he headed back to his father’s organic farm in Minnesota to heal and figure out his future. Upon reaching the farm, he observed a sign for an upcoming auction and noticed the dying crops, which looked like herbicide damage. His father, Ben, informed him that the bank had been purchasing surrounding properties and had tried to buy his farm. He had refused to sell. Now, he can’t make his payments on his mortgage because of two years of bad crops, forcing him to have to auction off the farm.

Mack discovers there are plans being made to dam up part of the Clayborne National Wildlife Refuge that borders their farm, allowing for fishing and boating; however, this will cause a severe loss of habitat for the creatures that live there. Having spent much of his childhood in the refuge, Mack is determined to stop them. He goes by to talk with Ray, the manager of the wildlife refuge, but is told he committed suicide. Knowing Ray, Mack finds this suspicious. Dale, the deputy who arrived at Ray’s staged suicide scene first, also felt like something wasn’t right. With Dale's help, Mack pursues information that will help him halt the project and save Ben’s farm. For some unknown reason, several women are murdered, and it becomes obvious someone is trying to kill Mack as well, reminding him that the stakes here are high.

Why a Refuge by Michael George is an action-packed, thrilling crime drama, with some romance woven in. It captures the reader’s attention in the prologue (when Ray’s murder occurs). It is nicely paced, intermixing the more exciting scenes with a chance to catch your breath. The narrative, written from the third-person point of view, is descriptive and easy to understand. Although not all the questions are clearly explained by the end of the book, the reader is provided enough information that they can decide the outcome.

One thing I enjoyed about this book is the author’s love for the outdoors and environmental conservation. I appreciate his views about how we need to take better care of our biosphere for the future of our planet. As Mack stated, “The thing is, if we continue to be hell bent on the destruction of planet earth, which is the only home we have, we’re going to lose a lot more than our modern way of life. Our species is going to die.” He points out that the Republicans have been the ones who have rolled back protections for our planet over the years, especially lately. While probably true, Republican readers might find this objectionable and likely won’t enjoy the book as much as others.

My favorite aspect of the book is the excellent character development. Mack is a broken-down cowboy. He doesn’t possess much faith in religion, but loves being out in nature; it feels spiritual to him. He grieves for his wife, who was recently killed in a car accident. You can’t help but pull for him. Ben and Mack’s uncle (Roy) are also characters I enjoyed. They are stubborn, hard-working, and feisty; they simply want to be left alone to live their lives their way but are willing to fight when forced to.

I only found a few minor errors in the novel. As there was nothing about this captivating and well-written story I didn’t enjoy, Why a Refuge achieves a rating of four out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who appreciate thrilling crime dramas. Violence, profanities, and sex (including rape) are encountered in the novel. Subsequently, it is inappropriate for children or sensitive readers.

Why A Refuge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Mack's life has just been fu of ups and downs. I hope he escaped the murder and proffers solution to his father's farm. Great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your thorough review! It seems very captivating, and can't wait to read it myself :).
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 03:58 Mack's life has just been fu of ups and downs. I hope he escaped the murder and proffers solution to his father's farm. Great review.
Yes, he has had a tough go of it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 04:16 Thank you for your thorough review! It seems very captivating, and can't wait to read it myself :).
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow! I have to read this book. Looks like a weave of mystery, crime, and family. Beautiful review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Adanna Inya wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 13:29 Wow! I have to read this book. Looks like a weave of mystery, crime, and family. Beautiful review.
It is, indeed, all of those things! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Adanna Inya wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 13:29 Wow! I have to read this book. Looks like a weave of mystery, crime, and family. Beautiful review.
It is, indeed, all of those things! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A crime thriller with the environment at its center is indeed interesting, and the great characters' development is a plus. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is a detailed and engaging review, Prisallen. I do hope they keep the farm. Thanks for the great review.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Judging from the title I was expecting a slow paced satirical novel, but it didn't turn out as I expected. Such an incredible character in the person of Mack. Nice review
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 03:38 A crime thriller with the environment at its center is indeed interesting, and the great characters' development is a plus. Thank you for your terrific review!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read my review and comment!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 03:55 This is a detailed and engaging review, Prisallen. I do hope they keep the farm. Thanks for the great review.
You are welcome! I hope you get a chance to read the book to see if they are able to keep it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Eutoc wrote: 26 Oct 2020, 06:26 Judging from the title I was expecting a slow paced satirical novel, but it didn't turn out as I expected. Such an incredible character in the person of Mack. Nice review
Yes, it was not slow paced or satirical. :lol: I really enjoyed it. Thanks for the comments!
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Sounds like a good read from your review. I hope it's as interesting as you make it sound

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”