Official Review: Anything I Want by Jolene Menard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Anything I Want by Jolene Menard

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Anything I Want" by Jolene Menard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Anything I Want by Jolene Menard, Charlotte Marie dreams about what she wants to do when she grows up. She hopes to help others, but she doesn't want to settle on a single career, and the rhyming story follows the adventure-loving and ambitious little girl's journey. Young readers will be inspired to dream big and work hard to accomplish their goals.

The 26-page picture book depicts characters of different races and features colorful, cartoonish illustrations that follow Charlotte's progress. At the beginning of the book, the reader sees thought bubbles reflecting her aspirations. As the story progresses, the images portray grown-up Charlotte in various career settings. The children's book addresses a variety of themes, such as family, identity, growing up, adventure, self-esteem, confidence, prayer, faith, perseverance, and helping others. Regarding faith, one page in the story refers to Charlotte saying prayers for guidance. However, it does not come across as preaching or lecturing.

I particularly like that Menard selects careers that aren't typically portrayed by girls in picture books, including soldiers, pilots, and firefighters. The book also emphasizes the importance of reading and writing well and going to college. Charlotte exemplifies helping others, setting goals, and hard work in an age-appropriate manner for young readers. However, Menard keeps the character relatable by including Charlotte's habit of sending letters home as well as her love for travel and exploring the ocean.

There isn't anything I dislike about the story, but it does need further editing. Although the PDF I read displayed a publisher's watermark, the nonsubjective errors I noted left me doubting that it was professionally edited. Young readers must see correct examples of punctuation and grammar.

Therefore, I rate Anything I Want three out of four stars. Its positive message will inspire children ranging from ages four to eight. The fun read-aloud story will also appeal to parents, teachers, and grandparents.

Anything I Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rachealinnocent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rachealinnocent »

I love what the book is teaching young kids.goals, aspiration,Faith,self love etc important real issues of the society being addressed in their young age is amazing.keep it up
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"I particularly like that Menard selects careers that aren't typically portrayed by girls in picture books, including soldiers, pilots, and firefighter." - We need to give options to the girls for non-traditional professionals. Thank you for sharing this book.
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

I agree that thorough editing is especially important for children to read correct examples of spelling and grammar. Otherwise, this sounds like a great story for kids. I enjoyed your review! Thank you!
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ada Ling wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 12:31 "I particularly like that Menard selects careers that aren't typically portrayed by girls in picture books, including soldiers, pilots, and firefighter." - We need to give options to the girls for non-traditional professionals. Thank you for sharing this book.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

CharlieMax1516 wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 15:16 I agree that thorough editing is especially important for children to read correct examples of spelling and grammar. Otherwise, this sounds like a great story for kids. I enjoyed your review! Thank you!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I really do love children's book and look for every excuse to get hold of anyone at anytime, and I think the character Charlotte has just given me a reason to read one more, not to my self but to the little kids I have around me. Children are expected to know that it is alright to have expectations and dreams and I think the author really did a good job with this book. Nice review.
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

great book as it educates children to have a career and dream big to, it is a greate aproach by the author. a pictured book is also great for children.
thanks for you honesty in the review. i hope the mistakes addressed will be corrected
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

My two boys would love this book as they often imagine what they will be when they are grown up. My six-year-old told me when he was three that he was going to be a 'pizza man on skis'! With another round of editing, I might check this out. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Children's Books”