Official Review: Music Has Legs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Music Has Legs

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Music Has Legs" by David Haznaw & Marlene Byrne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before I started writing this review, I had taken some time to clear my head from the overwhelming emotions that reading this book put me through. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! I like to give my ratings for books at the end of my reviews, but for this book, I can't wait. Therefore, I am rating Music Has Legs 4 out of 4 stars.

Music Has Legs by David Haznaw & Marlene Byrne is a non-fiction title based on the story of Juan Manuel Pineda. Though it's a title based on true-life events, I must commend the authors for creatively developing the scenes, conversations, and characters to make the story more exciting.

Juan Manuel Pineda is a Salvadoran who lost his legs in a fire incident that burnt down their house when he was still a child. Consequently, his father abandoned them, and his mother was also bedridden due to a protracted illness. Eventually, Juan's dying mother invited Father Ron Hicks and begged him to accept her son into Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos (NPH), a home for orphans. Father Ron Hicks was the Regional Director of NPH at the time, covering El Salvador and other Central American countries. Juan also had a severe cleft palate, so upon his admittance into NPH, Father Hicks and other donors facilitated a move to have his palate fixed.

The journey to fix Juan's cleft palate took him and Samuel Jimenez, another orphan in NPH, to America. They both stayed with Marlene Byrne and her family in Chicago anytime they came to America for Juan's surgeries. In America, Juan's musical talents were hard to ignore! Hence, Marlene, Samuel, Father Hicks, and many others play their roles to push Juan to the spotlight so that through his music, he could share his story with the world.

I can't sufficiently commend David Haznaw and Marlene Byrne for bringing Juan's story to life through their impeccable writing style. While reading this book, I forgot I was reading a non-fiction title most of the time due to how suspenseful this book was for me. The authors' use of the alternating first-person point of view (Marlene, Samuel, and Father Hick's perspectives) to narrate Juan's story is genius! It helped me to understand each narrator's struggles and challenges better. It also gave me an 'omniscient' view of Juan's personality and events in the book.

I enjoyed the humor in this title. It is most evident in Samuel's narrations. I looked forward to reading his part of the narrations due to how much he made me laugh. His descriptions and struggles with the English language were just hilarious.

Nevertheless, what I liked the most about this book is its message. Like Marlene, I also wonder why God seems to bless some people with wealth while He leaves some others to wallow in abject poverty. However, I found the achievements of the people in this book to be inspiring! Juan's story goes to show that dreams do come true. I have learned from this book that we might never be able to relate to how poor and vulnerable some people are. But with gratitude and by lending a helping hand to them, we can make the world a better place.

While Juan's story is the main subject of this book, I found Samuel's own to be very touching. I struggled to hold back my tears when Samuel was explaining why there's no photo of him as a baby to Marlene's daughter. Music Has Legs is professionally edited and with a few typos. There were just two instances of curse words in it. I am recommending this book to readers who love a fascinating story about emerging victorious despite untold predicaments and obstacles. Also, anyone who wishes to help the needy will find this title very inspiring.

Music Has Legs
View: on Bookshelves
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

What a story! This sounds like a wonderful book. I'll have to put this on my list of things to read. Good job on the review! :)
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

CharlieMax1516 wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 14:16 What a story! This sounds like a wonderful book. I'll have to put this on my list of things to read. Good job on the review! :)
An intriguing story honestly, Thanks for finding time to read and comment.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

What an inspiring story! I commend you on the great review. I enjoyed reading it so much. Thank you.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you so much for introducing this book to me. It was love at first sight :). Also, great job with the review!
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 14:44 What an inspiring story! I commend you on the great review. I enjoyed reading it so much. Thank you.
Thanks a lot for the kind words.
Saint Bruno
Currently Reading:

Post by Saint Bruno »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 16:03 Thank you so much for introducing this book to me. It was love at first sight :). Also, great job with the review!
You are welcome. And Thanks for finding time to read and comment.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

One could think Juan has had it all rosy in life on meeting him performing on stage for the first time. His past is touching.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

I was attracted by the title of this book. And it no surprise packed exciting stories. Thank you for the great review!
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

Thank you for your lovely review! This sounds like an uplifting story--I like inspiring nonfiction books.
Nelson Lyric
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-lyric.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Lyric »

I must say this has shifted my emotions. Non fiction books are amazing, you read what really happened. This novel is unique though, I have learned that music can be a life transformer. The review is on point, it is an awesome glimpse of the book. Good work Bruno.
Simplicity is the Voice of My Personality :no-spoil:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wow, what an inspiring story! Juan's journey sounds like an arduous one. Thanks for the amazing review!
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

This story sounds amazing and uplifting. Great review!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

I love a fascinating story about emerging victorious despite untold predicaments and obstacles, and am sure there are a lot more morals to be learned from this book. thank for the review
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book sounds great! It is quite inspiring. Thanks for your wonderful review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”