Review by HannahsReads -- Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Review by HannahsReads -- Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by HannahsReads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superbugs" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superbugs is a dystopian novel by author Tayma Tameem. The novel explores a post-pandemic future in which governments have taken away basic rights in order to enforce quarantine measures. Lily manages a housing complex in this futuristic world; she struggles to ensure that the residents in her building remain safe and have enough to eat. The unexpected arrival of a young pregnant woman at the complex throws Lily’s boring subsistence living into turmoil.

The dystopian world created in this book is really well described. Details like the disgusting food everyone has to eat (called Nutraloaf) and new greeting gestures to replace handshakes give the entire book an authentic feel. I was also fully engaged by the characters throughout the whole story. The author provides vibrant descriptions to bring each character to life. For example, one of Lily’s unpleasant residents is described in this way: “He was a monument to an era of white picket fences on which those who didn’t conform were ritually impaled.”

I have mixed feelings about a book that reinforces the potentially negative outcome of pandemic responses; right now I feel that everyone needs positive reinforcement about social distancing and quarantine measures. However, I do agree that the concept of governments taking pandemic responses too far is an excellent premise for a dystopian story. I also did not like the author’s tendency to rely on heavy exposition throughout the book. There is a lot of telling the reader about what is happening instead of weaving these explanations into the flow of the story. The author also uses a considerable amount of passive voice; this detracts from the sense of immediacy and excitement in the writing style. That said, overall this book is very well edited and proofread.

I would recommend Superbugs to readers who enjoy books like The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and Deal with the Devil: A Mercenary Librarians Novel by Kit Rocha. I would warn readers that this book contains disturbing situations such as prison violence and the abuse of the homeless; sensitive readers might find some descriptions too graphic. However, the book does not contain any profanity or sex. I would also note that this book was clearly professionally edited and proofread.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because of its vivid characterization and exciting futuristic setting. Many readers may find this book especially timely and entertaining because of its connection to the current global pandemic.

Superbugs
View: on Bookshelves
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Once I saw dystopian in your review, I knew I would like the book. Thanks a lot for the insightful review and recommendation.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

This book my bring out real emotions at this time of the pandemic. I guess the writer did a great job to transport the reader to the fiction world. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I love dystopian novels. This one sounds right up my alley. I'm really intrigued. I'll put it on my ever growing list!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very intriguing read, but I'm not ready yet for the pandemic based dystopias. Thank you for a great review! :)
HannahsReads

Post by HannahsReads »

Saint Bruno wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 16:06 Once I saw dystopian in your review, I knew I would like the book. Thanks a lot for the insightful review and recommendation.
You're welcome! I did really enjoy the dystopian elements of this book.
HannahsReads

Post by HannahsReads »

shamayelnur wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 13:32 This book my bring out real emotions at this time of the pandemic. I guess the writer did a great job to transport the reader to the fiction world. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome, and thank you for reading my review! I do agree that the pandemic part of the plot made everything very real.
HannahsReads

Post by HannahsReads »

Ellylion wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 04:24 Sounds like a very intriguing read, but I'm not ready yet for the pandemic based dystopias. Thank you for a great review! :)
Thanks for reading my review! I agree that this book was very real, considering current events.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I can easily related to this read based on what the world is undergoing. This book seems to be handy in this time. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”