Official Review: Tall Tales from the Tower

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Official Review: Tall Tales from the Tower

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tall Tales from the Tower" by Stephen G. Morris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tall Tales from the Tower: The REAL Hillbilly Elegy by Stephen G. Morris is a nonfiction book about the author’s life and his Air Force service.

In this book, we follow Morris throughout various life stages, both private and professional. From his childhood to his retirement, he shares stories that are entertaining but also intriguing. Stephen Morris calls himself West Virginian, yet throughout his lifespan, he will work and travel the world and live in Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom. After dropping out of school, he joins the United States Air Force in 1960, where he stayed until 1984. After he retired from the Air Force, Morris found a job as an air traffic controller. In 2012, he retired and became a full-time caregiver to his wife.

I liked how the author included personal stories in this book. They show another side to an Air Force man. The pride he feels for his family and wife is unmistakable. There are many stories about his life abroad and travels he went to with his wife. My favorite part of the entire book is the inclusion of photographs. There are many pictures with breathtaking landscapes and imposing aircraft that bring this book to life. For such a substantial career, this book is very concise. I also liked the author’s sense of humor, which balances out the serious tone of the book very well.

I would rate this book with three out of four stars. There were over ten errors that I noticed, and it prevents me to rate this book a perfect score. Moreover, I would suggest another proofreading because I didn’t even count as errors many mistakes regarding missed hyphens, misplaced and missing commas, and missing determiners. However, the cohesive storyline is hindering me from rating this book any lower.

I would recommend this book to all readers interested in military stories. Furthermore, American readers will especially find this book interesting as it deals with former US Air Force members. Yet, the author doesn’t shy away from opinions about politics and political leaders, which may upset some readers. There is no explicit content, just some minor profanities, which makes this book suitable for all age groups. Nevertheless, if you are not interested in topics regarding the Air Force and flying, you might find this book very technical and not understandable. One thing is for sure, you can disagree with the author’s opinions, but you will appreciate his service.

Tall Tales from the Tower
View: on Bookshelves
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

I love this book already. I enjoy tales of author's experiences, it gives more emotions to the book. Well done on the review.
B00kb1rd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by B00kb1rd »

Just reading this I already see myself enjoying a book like this. Your description about how good this book is makes me very interested.
Gat786+thee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Gat786+thee »

This book is telling stories about the people work in U.S. Air Force. there difficulties, struggles , happy times with their families . the emotions are well played in this book. "If you Believe it you'll experience it". it's an enjoyable book.
AmamaAsghar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AmamaAsghar »

This book is amazing and nicely describes the struggle of the people that are in the army experience huge kind of problems.its amzing.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

you can disagree with the author’s opinions, but you will appreciate his service.
I appreciate your impartial advice. Thank you for the insightful review.
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

It's always nice to get an idea and a little sneak into the life of a veteran. I hope to find the same in the book. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The book cover and the title of the book fit well together. I hope the author will heed your call and have the book edited. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

As a lover of both photography and literature, I am so pleased to find a book that incorporates both. Hopefully, this book will be edited again so that it can reach its full potential.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Joan642 wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 08:14 I love this book already. I enjoy tales of author's experiences, it gives more emotions to the book. Well done on the review.
Thank you! I hope you have a great reading experience too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B00kb1rd wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 19:11 Just reading this I already see myself enjoying a book like this. Your description about how good this book is makes me very interested.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

sssns wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 04:16
you can disagree with the author’s opinions, but you will appreciate his service.
I appreciate your impartial advice. Thank you for the insightful review.
Thank you!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

VVaishali wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 07:59 It's always nice to get an idea and a little sneak into the life of a veteran. I hope to find the same in the book. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks!
Thank you for reading. I hope you have a great reading experience too.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nqobile771 wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 02:14 The book cover and the title of the book fit well together. I hope the author will heed your call and have the book edited. Thanks for the review.
Me too. Thank you for reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kate Park wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 20:33 As a lover of both photography and literature, I am so pleased to find a book that incorporates both. Hopefully, this book will be edited again so that it can reach its full potential.
I agree with you, especially in nonfiction I do enjoy photographs combined with narration. Thank you for reading.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”