Review by Ellylion -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Review by Ellylion -- Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Ellylion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Worldlines" by Adam Guest.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Worldlines by Adam Guest is the first book of the Many Worlds series. Gary Jackson stabs his girlfriend, Michelle Peyton, with a kitchen knife right in her neck. It all happens at a birthday party of their mutual friend, Sinead O’Brien, in front of her guests. Michelle dies, and Gary is taken into custody for her alleged murder. The case seems to be so clear, but Gary sincerely doesn't remember himself killing his beloved one.

The problem is, there are many Garys, many Michelles, and many versions of reality or Worldlines. From time to time, they interact with each other. So, Gary Jackson from another one Worldline stabbed Michelle via lucid dreaming, thinking it was just a dream. He did so because Michelle turned him down after he had been hit by a lorry years ago. But his actions caused real consequences for Gary Jackson, who avoided that very lorry and had been dating Michelle since that time. Now they must find a point of intersection of their Wordlines to get the innocent Gary Jackson out of troubles.

I would classify this book as a criminal drama with a sci-fi element. I would expect more colorful descriptions from a science fiction novel, but this book mainly provides us with the everyday routine of the main character and those close to him.

In my opinion, the characters lack some depth, and the dialogues are too formal. The narrative is repetitive, a bit dry, and too detailed. All the mentioned above makes the reading quite tiresome from time to time, and that's what I dislike most about the book.

Frankly speaking, I couldn't emotionally connect with the protagonist in any of his versions. Also, I wouldn't call him reliable. Sinead O’Brien was the character I liked most because of her loyalty and willingness to help under any circumstances.

My most favorite aspect of the book is the main idea behind it. The theory of many worlds is given by the author in a simple, easy to comprehend manner. He also explores the popular theory of lucid dreaming connected to the possible multiverse versus the universe as we know it. This book inspired me to look deeper into the well-known hypothesis of many worlds that the author managed to present in a fresh and intriguing way.

Also, the classic concept of an evil doppelgänger from the other dimension definitely remains amusing and popular until the present day.

Considering the mentioned above positive moments of the book and that it was professionally edited, I gave it 4 out of 4 stars.

This book has instances of profanity, mild sexual content, and scenes of violence. Thus, the very young audience should not read it. The book mainly avoids religious themes, but it tells about so called quantum immortality, meaning the immortality of human consciousness within the theories of the quantum mechanics. I believe that it couldn't be offensive to the followers of any religion or non-believers.

I recommend this book to all who are interested in quantum mechanics, crime fiction novels, and the sci-fi genre.

Worldlines
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It seems like a very interesting book; however, I don't think I could believe in the theory of multiple worldlines. It seems a little out there. Thanks so much for your interesting and informative review!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Prisallen wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 09:03 It seems like a very interesting book; however, I don't think I could believe in the theory of multiple worldlines. It seems a little out there. Thanks so much for your interesting and informative review!
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Multiple world lines like this always give me a headache. So many possibilities and paradoxes. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It does sound intriguing if you don't mind concentration when you read. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thank God there is no such here. It's really mysterious. Great review.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I enjoy sci-fi books, but the plot of the book is not the type I would enjoy. Thanks for the detailed review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I did not know this was part of a series. I have this book on my list to read, but I think I’ll be fine with stopping at one Many Worlds adventure. Thank you for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I heard about it but never read it. I like the concept, it's very interesting. Great review
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

I am very interested in the topics of multiple timelines and this seems like a book with an intriguing story. Thanks for your review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Great review! I really loved the book and I also gave it 4 out of 4.
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 13:39 Multiple world lines like this always give me a headache. So many possibilities and paradoxes. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It does sound intriguing if you don't mind concentration when you read. Thanks!
I agree, it can be tiresome :) Thank you very much for your comments!
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 08:13 Great review! I really loved the book and I also gave it 4 out of 4.
Thank you very much! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

snowbear wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 01:05 I am very interested in the topics of multiple timelines and this seems like a book with an intriguing story. Thanks for your review!
Thank you very much for your comments! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 06:29 I heard about it but never read it. I like the concept, it's very interesting. Great review
Thank you so much! :)
Ellylion
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellylion »

MsH2k wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 23:53 I did not know this was part of a series. I have this book on my list to read, but I think I’ll be fine with stopping at one Many Worlds adventure. Thank you for a great review!
Thank you so much for your kind words! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”