Review by shravsi -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review by shravsi -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind is the sixth book in the magical fantasy series, We are Voulhire written by Matthew Tysz. In this book, we will finally see how Caromentis differs from the Cosmos, courtesy of Meldorath. This review contains spoilers for those who might not have read the previous books of this series.

To recap the ending of the fifth book, the emperor had the whole Voulhire under siege, Galen had entered the portal created by Meldorath hoping to enter Caromentis, and Demetrius had decided to go to Dire Vine jungle with Rowan. In this book, we will know how various cities of Voulhire are reacting to the emperor’s offer, whether Galen can bring back Meldorath from Caromentis to save Voulhire, and what was Demetrius’s plan behind going to Dire Vine jungle, risking their lives from nightynights.

The explanation of Caromentis was so wild and befitting to this book’s genre. The story starts with Angela Velys of the city Cridaea. It is the city that stood against Riva successfully because of their skilled archers, and Angela has a prominent role behind it. I was happy to have found a great female character because Harper’s behavior was starting to get uncomfortable. And Angela is related to someone we all adore, and I was happy to finally meet her. I am restraining myself not to divulge much in excitement because I don’t want to spoil quite a few twists hidden in this book. And I want the reader to enjoy this story without any foreshadowing.

I always enjoyed story-telling through a character in this series. But I don’t think this style helped much in the current book. There were so many characters with whom I could not connect. The flow of the story felt bumpy because the flow kept on getting cut abruptly. There was no trouble in enjoying the book as the story itself was captivating. Other than this, I do not have any more complaints about this book. I have come to respect Tysz as a writer for his ability to use a forgotten character who might seem insignificant to bring a sudden change in the main story itself. And it makes the reader wonder how did I not guess this before?

I will rate this book four out of four stars. There were no massive errors that hindered the reading experience. Although the gory details are less than the previous books, this story is still for adults only. I was creeped out by Harper during one scene, and that scene could be considered borderline harassment. If you are a sensitive reader, please be cautioned.

Tysz tells a great story that will entertain any reader. I was genuinely surprised by some revelations. I read the scene where Demetrius is searching for Rowan in fear with sound effects in the back of my head like a movie, and it was a twist I didn’t see coming. This book is suitable for readers looking for fantasy books with magic. For the readers of the fifth book, this book amps up the fantasy level through Caromentis that you will enjoy. And if you are new to this series, please read from book one to savor and understand this book.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I agree with you about Harper's scene. I was genuinely shocked. I liked the Caromentis so much. Thanks for the great review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

anua24060 wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 01:25 I agree with you about Harper's scene. I was genuinely shocked. I liked the Caromentis so much. Thanks for the great review!
I feel like that servant would be Galen's future. I hope Galen will find a better girl who respects him.

And I agree with you, shravsi. Angela is way better than Harper. Thanks for your nice review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

....... Now, I'm floating. I need to download the first edition and kick-off with this series. Great review.
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

anua24060 wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 01:25 I agree with you about Harper's scene. I was genuinely shocked. I liked the Caromentis so much. Thanks for the great review!
I know right.....Harper :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Thanks for reading my review :D
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Sou Hi wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 09:44
I feel like that servant would be Galen's future. I hope Galen will find a better girl who respects him.

And I agree with you, shravsi. Angela is way better than Harper. Thanks for your nice review.
I too hope good things for Galen, especially considering Harper :)
Thank you :D
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 14:14 ....... Now, I'm floating. I need to download the first edition and kick-off with this series. Great review.
Please do read this series. If you are a fantasy lover, this wont disappoint :techie-studyinggray:
Thank you :D
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I absolutely agree with you about Angela and Harper. I loved Angela so much! :) And Beth finally comes into play too. Thanks for a great review!
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Although I have read other books in the series, I haven't yet read this one. I enjoyed reading your review and I really appreciated that you dropped lots of hints about exciting things to come without any actual spoilers. Great job!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You seem to be really enjoying the series. I'm way behind. I better step up. It looks like Meldorath is one of the good guys, after all. Hmmm.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

It's good to know that the series continues to impress. I have read the first book in this series. So thanks for the great review and recommendation.
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Ellylion wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 08:13 I absolutely agree with you about Angela and Harper. I loved Angela so much! :) And Beth finally comes into play too. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Juliet+1 wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 15:16 Although I have read other books in the series, I haven't yet read this one. I enjoyed reading your review and I really appreciated that you dropped lots of hints about exciting things to come without any actual spoilers. Great job!
Hope you got around to finish this book. Thank you :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Miriam Molina wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 12:05 You seem to be really enjoying the series. I'm way behind. I better step up. It looks like Meldorath is one of the good guys, after all. Hmmm.
Yeah, I enjoyed this series a lot. I hope you finished this series and found out about the true nature of Meldorath. :lol:
Thank you for reading my review :tiphat:
shravsi
Favorite Book:

Post by shravsi »

Saint Bruno wrote: 30 Oct 2020, 00:32 It's good to know that the series continues to impress. I have read the first book in this series. So thanks for the great review and recommendation.
Thank you :D :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”