Official Review: Mythborn by V. Lakshman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Mythborn by V. Lakshman

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mythborn" by V. Lakshman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a dark fantasy enthusiast? Do you love the battles between good and evil? If so, then this award-winning 586-page novel by debut novelist and martial arts master, Vijay Lakshman, titled Mythborn: Rise of the Adepts is just perfect for you. It is characterized by an intensely magical world of demons, dragons, battle scenes, conflict, and a life-changing journey of two key characters.

The book is set in the fictional world of Edyn, where it starts slowly by establishing the lives of the adepts, who are synonymous with monks in their disciplined lifestyle. They have a strong allegiance to a life-sustaining discipline known as "The Way." By the decree of Mikal Galadine, those with magical talent are hunted down and killed simply because of their powers, and as a result have gone into hiding.

However, when one of the gates to the Aeris opens again, and history threatens to repeat itself through Lilyth (a demon), the Meridian Isle Council is ruthlessly determined to act. Their one true hope is an apprentice named Arek Winterthorn, who has a remarkable ability to repel and nullify magic. Although Arek does not understand his gift as he is frequently frustrated by it, the council agrees that Arek is the most dominant hope of Edyn. As the story unfolds, Arek and his master (Silbane Petracles) embark on a journey filled with twists and turns, violence, and intrigue. Will they be successful? Is Arek bred for good or evil? Read up to find out.

I must commend Vijay Lakshman for creating an exciting and incredible epic, where supernatural beings threaten a world that is determined to protect themselves and repel evil forces. Characterization is in-depth and intriguing, nestled within a plot composed of unexpected turns, diverse elements, fast action sequences, and relentless battles. The author achieved a deeply plot-driven storyline that he pairs skillfully with compelling and unforgettable characters, who are multifaceted but powerful enough to make readers invest in them. While this is not a rarity, it is not an easy feat to achieve. Therefore, this motivates me to award this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Another appreciative element of this book is the realistic dialogue that brings the characters' true colors to the fore. One of my favorite scenes is the brainstorming scene with the council. I loved the dialogue and arguments between the council. Divisions and diverse opinions characterized it, but it cemented Thera as my favorite character in the novel. She is bright, beautiful, intelligent, and reasonable. She can fend off blazing fires of conflict with her ability to reason well. Thera is an exemplary woman. Another character I came to love is Ash Rillaran, for his strength of character, brains, and bravery.

Besides an excellent premise, the writing style is top-notch, impressive, and extremely vivid. The writer's extensive knowledge of martial arts skills is displayed in all battle scenes, and this is pivotal for readers who do not understand much about martial arts. Also, I liked the militaristic approach of guiding the reader by posting a relevant quote about combat at the beginning of each chapter.

The multiple points of view in the novel became confusing because of all the distinctive places, cultures, and people. I believe the author should have stuck to one narrative style. However, I still believe Mythborn: Rise of the Adepts is a splendid debut by Vijay Lakshman.

In conclusion, the book is professionally edited because I found only one grammatical error that did not hinder my reading experience. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves enthralling and fascinating fictional tales. Also, I believe dark fantasy enthusiasts, fans of military history, and martial arts would thoroughly enjoy this lengthy but entertaining tale. It is a fascinating page-turner that would leave readers clamoring and craving for more. Kindly note that this book is the first installation of the Mythborn series.

Mythborn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ondijo Elvis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-elvis.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Ondijo Elvis »

Seems to be a long read but enjoyable,must say this a plot driven novel that everybody will enjoy reading. Great review.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Wow this was a plot driven novel, though the genre does not fit me, so I'll skip this one
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your nice review. Dark fantasy is one of my favorite genres. This looks like an interesting series that I would want to enjoy.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

This sounds like a series I can get behind. The fact that this is an award-winning novel is commendable. Though it is lengthy, quality writing will make it well worth my time. I enjoyed reading your extensive review!
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

I will like to know about this magical world. I loved your in-depth review. Thanks for sharing. :)
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

An action book written by a martial arts master seems in place. I would like to know more about Arek and his master's journey to save their land. Great review.
roSemin2400
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by roSemin2400 »

I love reading books espicially novels and mangas and the topic is about the bad and the good where good are likely to win. Thanks for your reviews.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has some classic fantasy premises, proving that you don't need to reinvent the wheel to write a great story. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

The martial arts in the battle scenes will appeal to readers who find skills in martial arts interesting.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Combining just enough elements to create twists and turns of emotions while at the same time delivering a deeply plot driven and thrilling sci-fi makes for an intriguing novel. I’m drawn to this and will be sure to check it out.

Thank you for a well written review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”