Official Review: Bird of Passage by sherry hobbs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Bird of Passage by sherry hobbs

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bird of Passage" by sherry hobbs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We're products of a combination of different factors — each of us are shaped by our circumstances, DNA, and experiences. However, what we chose to make of those things matter. Bird of Passage is Sherry Hobb's account of her life, struggles, joys, and the various factors that made her the person she is.

Born in 1947 to two middle-class parents, Sherry lived an idyllic life for a while. Like a bird of passage that never stays in one spot, she began to travel with her family in what seemed like adventures at the time. Sherry never stayed long in any particular place. Hence, she picked up bits of knowledge here and there and used them to shape her future on the go. During one such trip, her mother met the man who would alter the course of their lives.

The thing I love most about this book is the use of metaphors. The author's descriptions are made much clearer by using creative metaphors that bring the scenes to life. I'm a fan of authors who understand what they write so much that they can easily compare it to things that make it possible for the reader to visualize and share in the experience. This, alongside the images at the end of some of the chapters, makes it more enjoyable to read the book and relate to the narrative.

I loved the book's structure too. It was divided into different sections containing different phases in the author's life. Intriguing stories were told briefly from each period. There were also sections for each of the crucial people in her life. The book was organized chronologically — her birth, early life, adulthood, and reality at the time of writing this book. Even the atmosphere of each scene was fitting. It was as though she went back in time to relive those experiences and then transferred both the details and the emotions to the book. It amazed me how she could so clearly recall and organize the information to the minutest detail. A lot of people, including me, would struggle to remember even the most recent things.

The version of the author we see in the book is consistent with her opinion of herself. She displays a remarkable self-awareness and willingness to learn and grow. There are a lot of lessons to learn from this book.

The only issue I had with this book was the plethora of errors; I reckon it wasn't professionally edited. Though it was the author's debut work, I'd still rate it three out of four stars. I'd recommend it to people who love reading chronologically ordered autobiographies with lots of details.** the noted errors have since been corrected**

Bird of Passage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

This seems like an interesting memoir full of vivid descriptions. Thank you for a thoughtful review!
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Seems like one has to learn something after reading this one. Too bad it has lotsa errors. Good job on the review 👌
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

It sounds like she had many experiences that would help the rest of us figure some thigs out. It is too bad about the errors. Maybe she will have it edited and republished.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A book full of metaphors seems interesting, too bad it has so many errors. Thank you for your informative review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I appreciate the meticulous structure of the book. It contributes to a smoother reading experience. Thank you for the insightful review.
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

It is always interesting being able to learn from experience. thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”