Official Review: A Horn IS Born by Bill Borders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Official Review: A Horn IS Born by Bill Borders

Post by shannonkate8 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Horn IS Born" by Bill Borders.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Horn is Born by Bill Borders is a fun children's book introducing kids to the wonders of music. Readers are introduced to Shoehorn, who is just that. He is used to help actors and performers get ready for their shows! However, he was never on stage and constantly made fun of by the instruments. They teased him for his inability to make music. Yet, as tragedy strikes for a stage director, Shoehorn finds his new calling. What will it be?

I thought this children's book was a joy to read and unlike others I have picked up. The idea of following animated musical instruments and items, like Shoehorn, behind the stage is fun and engaging. The illustrations in particular were unique. The author and illustrator were able to have the words dance across the page with the pictures. As an adult, I cannot imagine how much fun this would be for a child.

I also liked the messages this book portrays. It clearly addresses bullying but also supports art and music. The author also ends the book with information about shoehorns to help younger kids learn about the main character.

Overall, there was much to like and not much to dislike. There were a few minor grammatical errors, though others may not notice these. They certainly did not hinder the book or story, in my opinion.

As such, I have to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was fun, rhymed, and was bright - all perfect characteristics for a children's book. The messages and addition at the end to teach readers were particularly appreciated. I would highly recommend this for young readers, particularly in elementary school. It would be a great addition to a music teacher's classroom as well. It can be used to introduce items found in a band, orchestra, or on stage.

A Horn IS Born
View: on Bookshelves
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I agree with you. Making characters out of inanimate objects can be quite fun. Thanks for this review!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

What a fun way to introduce topics like bullying and music to children. The author was wonderfully creative in using an ordinary object like a shoehorn. Thanks for the review!
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like a cute picture book about music! I like rhyming text in picture books and I agree that kids need picture book to help them understand concepts like bullying. Thanks for a good review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

shannonkate8 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 13:42 The author and illustrator were able to have the words dance across the page with the pictures.
That alone would make this book worth the read!
Thanks for a great review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

Curbing Bullying is not an easy task but finding ways for bullied kids to find happiness and a place in the society is what this book addresses. Nice review!
Echezonachukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echezonachukwu.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Echezonachukwu »

I already liked the very first sentence of your review. I guess this be great to introduce kids to the wonders of music. I like how detailed your review were, thanks for that

Return to “Children's Books”