Official Review: Dear Black sUn by Bryanna Wade-Gardner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Official Review: Dear Black sUn by Bryanna Wade-Gardner

Post by Moray_001 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear Black sUn" by Bryanna Wade-Gardner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first thing that struck me about this book was the title and the unusual spelling. The way the letter u stood out in the word sun, I figured it meant the author was referring to you, the reader. Bryanna Wade-Gardener is the author of Dear Black sUn and it is a short story written for children.

The author includes a touching note at the beginning where she states that she wrote the story for her sons. The purpose being that they should be able to read her words even during times when they may not be able to see her.

This short story was very emotional for me to read because it addresses the social stigma that black people face in predominantly white environments, even from a very tender age. I love the fact that the author elucidated these social prejudices and racism in such simple terms that a child can understand.

I enjoyed reading this book. I could feel how much love she invested in it. It radiated in the words the author used and the emotions she portrayed. Although it is a short story written for children and has rhymes that they will love, it will also speak to teenagers and other young people who come across the book.

There was nothing in particular that I did not like about the book. It passed across a valuable message to precious children. However, I suggest that the author could have used a brighter colour scheme for some of the images because children love bright colours.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I noticed a couple of punctuation errors and a spelling error. I suggest these should be worked on to make the book better. I recommend it to children and black parents who want their children to understand what it means to be safe in a world full of racism. It is a good read for those who aim to teach their children the importance of self-love and confidence in their skin.

Dear Black sUn
View: on Bookshelves
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

The author must be a great mother. Thanks for the insightful review.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Tarilan wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 14:09 The author must be a great mother. Thanks for the insightful review.
I also think she is. You're welcome and thank you for reading my review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This sounds like a wonderful book for children. Peace among different cultures needs to happen at early ages.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Bryanna's text will help many kids and even young people to develop their self-esteem.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I appreciate the significance of the ‘U’ in sUn—referring to ‘you’. I like this one. Thanks for this review!
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

This sound like a beautiful children's book that presents a moving message. Thank you for your thoughtful review!
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 19:47 This sounds like a wonderful book for children. Peace among different cultures needs to happen at early ages.
Yes it is, if children understand some of these things at a young age, they are more likely to grow up with good values and self confidence.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Tablito wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 22:59 Bryanna's text will help many kids and even young people to develop their self-esteem.
I agree with you.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 06:49 I appreciate the significance of the ‘U’ in sUn—referring to ‘you’. I like this one. Thanks for this review!
Thank you so much for reading.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

HannahsReads wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 10:40 This sound like a beautiful children's book that presents a moving message. Thank you for your thoughtful review!
I'm glad you think so too. Thanks for reading my review.
_claudi_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by _claudi_ »

I have always said teach the kids the significant things while they are young, so when they are grown external factors will not easily have a negative impact on them. This book seems to try to tackle one of the major issue the world is battle right now 'Racism'. So with the right guidiance and open mind the kids will surely learn a great deal from this book. Nice review!
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

It is a good read for those who aim to teach their children the importance of self-love and confidence in their skin.
I think this can make the book reach beyond race, as I believe children need to be taught to be comfortable in their skin, which, to me, means being comfortable in their personalities and who they are, what they like what they don't and other stuff, early on. I loved your thoughts on the book. Thanks for sharing. I will like to look deeper into it for my neices. :)
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

_claudi_ wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 23:07 I have always said teach the kids the significant things while they are young, so when they are grown external factors will not easily have a negative impact on them. This book seems to try to tackle one of the major issue the world is battle right now 'Racism'. So with the right guidiance and open mind the kids will surely learn a great deal from this book. Nice review!
Absolutely, this book was written at the right time too. The world is finally paying attention to the issue of racism. Children should learn from an early age that people are different, colours are different but humans are still humans.
Moray_001
Currently Reading:

Post by Moray_001 »

VVaishali wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 00:25
It is a good read for those who aim to teach their children the importance of self-love and confidence in their skin.
I think this can make the book reach beyond race, as I believe children need to be taught to be comfortable in their skin, which, to me, means being comfortable in their personalities and who they are, what they like what they don't and other stuff, early on. I loved your thoughts on the book. Thanks for sharing. I will like to look deeper into it for my neices. :)
Thank you so much for reading. I hope your neices will enjoy the book too.

Return to “Children's Books”