Review by Cynthia Olyy -- The Cadence of Excellence

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review by Cynthia Olyy -- The Cadence of Excellence

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cadence of Excellence" by Matthew McDarby.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cadence of Excellence: Key Habits of Effective Sales Managers written by Matthew McDarby is a book that outlines all there is to become an effective sales manager. It points to the sales manager as a leader who is majorly responsible for the overall output of his salespersons. The author starts by explaining the need for certain habits to be developed by the sales manager himself before he goes ahead to make known the practices that the team as a whole must identify with. Overall, this book is a complete guide to effective sales.

“DATA × CRITICAL THINKING = VALUE”—McDarby. Here, the author, having established that good value results in good sales, goes ahead to answer a very popular question of what makes a good value. McDarby's equation of value explains that good value is a product of good information and good thinking ability. According to him, the use of data can never be over-emphasized. As much as you could use it to manage salespersons’ performances, you could also use it to plan smart questions about the root causes of poor performance. This is something I like about the book.

Another perspective of the author that I appreciate a lot more is that of communication. In his opinion, it is good that organizations have conversations about how sales and marketing departments can collaborate to produce better, more effective collateral and tools for the company. This is good because, in communication, they say, lies the strength of every relationship.

What I like most about the book is how the author split his work into two parts: Inwardly Focused Tasks and Outwardly Focused Tasks. While the former looks at the things that the sales manager must do within himself to boost output, the latter looks at what he must do in his team or his customer-base to achieve the same result. As I mentioned earlier, it all focuses on the sales manager. This is my best part of the book.

It is important to mention that the authenticity of this book is second to none. I make this assertion because the author has taken his time to identify with top sales managers he worked with in the past. He mentioned that his experience in this field is a product of his relationship with each of them. Some of these persons include Randy Majors, Kim Cole, Carl Singer, Larry Letow, etc. Sharing his experiences with these people gives the reader the conviction that this author is worth listening to. There is nothing I dislike about this book.

This work is professionally edited; I found not up to ten errors. There is no sex scene or the use of profane words that could raise the concern of sensitive readers. Due completely to these, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to every salesperson out there, especially sales managers. This is a great tool for commanding good sales output.

The Cadence of Excellence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Am sure sales managers would find this title most beneficial. Thanks for your insightful review and recommendation.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This book would best appeal to every salesperson out there who are looking for a helpful book such as this. Great review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I like reading sales books. After all, we're all trying to sell something eventually. Your review is fantastic, Cynthia.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for a detailed review. Ofcorse communication is very vital. This book is indeed going to be helpful
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Matthew's text appears to be a suitable read for individuals in leadership positions.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Though this genre is not of my interest but I liked reading your review. It was very detailed and might be helpful for many sales manager who intends to read it. Thanks for the great review!
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

It sounds like a very focused book which is probably of use to many. Not my genre though.

Thank you for your review :)
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like an awesome book for people in the sales industry. Great review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for an insightful review. Unfortunately, this book is not very useful for me, since I'm not working in the business department.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a great guide for all who work in sales. I would read it for sure! Thanks for a great review! :)
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I'm not a targeted audience for this book but this is a great review!! Good job!!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

This book will definitely go a long way in helping sales managers achieve their primary goals. Your review is quite detailed.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”