Official Review: A Memory of Time by Virgilio A. Reyes Jr.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Official Review: A Memory of Time by Virgilio A. Reyes Jr.

Post by Nkoo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Memory of Time" by Virgilio A. Reyes Jr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Memory of Time by Virgilio A Reyes Jr. is an engaging memoir. The book captures the author's musings on the people he has met and the places he has been during his peripatetic 35-year career as a Foreign Service Officer with the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs. The book comprises five parts. Virgilio A. Reyes Jr. is the author of other books, one of which is Gloria; it received the 2004 National Book Award.

As a dedicated young man with the wit required to represent his country at an international level, Virgilio A. Reyes Jr. rose from the ranks of the Department of Foreign Affairs and subsequently retired as an ambassador for the Republic of the Philippine. As a veteran diplomat, he represented his country in New York, the United Nations, Myanmar, Chile, Mexico, etc. Among the notable personalities he has met are Aung San Suu Kyi, Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela, Nadine Gordimer, Fidel Ruz Castro, and Frederich Wilhelm de Klerk. Some of his published works border on global issues and the political and cultural heritage of the Philippine. Through his writings, he has contributed immensely to other Philippine media platforms such as the Star, Daily Inquirer, Business Day, and Positively Filipino.

I found this history book to be exciting and free-flowing; it is not a book to be rushed. For readers who are fashion lovers, they will learn how Louis Vuitton, one of the oldest and most famous luxury brands in the world, has come to represent the gold standard for travel and innovation. Readers will also learn about the most expensive piece of art designed for the fashion giant and its worth. Overall, readers will gain a lot, particularly about the Philippines. The author's finesse and the depth of his wisdom reflected on every page of the book. There are adequate translations of other languages used in the book.

I most liked the last part of the book because it contained a collection of the author's reflections on subjects that showed the depth of his knowledge across various spheres of life. The catchy titles of the Reflections and their contents will impact readers. I also liked how detailed and light-hearted the book was at the same time. There was not a dull moment in this 224-page book; the author dedicated a portion of it to his late parents. The tribute he wrote to them was remarkable because July was a significant month for them. While his father, Virgilio Rex Reyes Sr. was born on July 5, his mother, Erlinda Alcantara-Reyes was born on July 7. They got married on July 4 and hoped that they would have a child born on July 6. However, that wish was ungranted, though his parents had five children. Unfortunately, his father passed away from a heart attack on July 21, 1977.

The book contains several pictures, most of which are the depiction of the author at various events with other dignitaries. These pictures further brought the author’s stories to life and gave its readers a full view of his experiences. However, some illustrations were uncaptioned. Examples are pictures on pages 37, 40, 42, 44, 60, 68, and 82.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading A Memory of Time. It appeared to be professionally edited because I found a few errors in it. It contains no profanity or sexual content. For the above reasons, I rate this book four out of four stars. I did not award it a lower rating because it is educative. I recommend it to everyone, particularly readers who enjoy impactful memoirs and travelogues. Historians will find this book invaluable.

A Memory of Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Memoirs are great to learn from other people’s life stories. This book does seem informative. Thanks for your insightful review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Virgilio A Reyes Jr sounds like a well travelled man. Great review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Making memories is a beautiful thing, but I still have a hard time reading memoirs like this. I'll keep trying.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

This sounds like an interesting memoir! Thanks for your detailed review.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

Great review. I feel like the book includes complex terms. I'll pass.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”