Official Review: Eerth Awakening by A. L. Riley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Eerth Awakening by A. L. Riley

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eerth Awakening" by A. L. Riley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Xania was just three when the inhabitants of Earth fled to Planet 43rd (short for the fourth planet in the third galaxy). Their leaders warned them over the years to not wander very far from their compound. However, Xania is fearless, loves to explore, and doesn’t always follow the rules. On her 23rd birthday, she secretly hikes farther than usual. Subsequently, she soon runs into danger, needing to be rescued by a young man named Yoloquin. He is obviously not from their compound. His skin is a jet black color at the beginning, but the black quickly fades to gray as his intense emotions from rescuing her from her near-death experience subside. She learns Yoloquin can also turn invisible. Weirdly, when Xania talks with him, he understands and can converse in her language, telling her their word for their planet is Eerth, another odd coincidence.

He informs her she is never to tell anyone about encountering him. His people have been surreptitiously studying the Earthlings for years. Being physically superior, they have made strict laws against any intermingling, not wanting any romantic involvement between the two species. Their rules state that if an Earthling sees one of them they have to die. If the Earthling isn’t killed by the Eerth native, both will be terminated once it is discovered. Regrettably for Yoloquin, he has been studying Xania for years, has developed feelings for her, and couldn’t stand by and watch her die. She experiences an extremely intense attraction to him as well. Yoloquin emphasizes they can never see each other again—it absolutely isn’t safe. Can Xania keep this information to herself and stay away from Yoloquin?

Eerth Awakening by A. L. Riley fits into the science fiction/fantasy category, but it also has intermixed romance. It is the first book in the series but can definitely be read as a standalone novel because all the pertinent questions are answered by the end. Written from the first-person point of view, from Xania’s perspective, the author’s prose is descriptive and easy to understand. We can readily appreciate Xania’s frame of mind and the reasons for her actions. There is a dominant theme of prejudice towards others because they are believed to be different; the importance of family and friends is also a key aspect of the book.

The character development, being superb, represents my favorite aspect of the book. The reader experiences Xania’s desire to get out and explore, her love for her parents and younger sister, her fears, but most of all, her longing to be with Yoloquin. The attraction between the two is almost palpable. While being invisible, Yoloquin has been observing her for years, gradually realizing he is falling in love but unable to do anything about it. He is torn between his desire to be with her and his need to protect her.

Sadly, there are far too many punctuation and grammatical errors. This is my least favorite aspect of the story. The book could use a professional editor.

The only other thing I dislike is there are too many similarities between the species to be realistic: they speak the same language, both use bottled water and blankets, they enjoy similar foods, their homes are pretty much the same, etc. I feel this is not very believable as humans living in various countries on Earth have more dissimilarities than these people from different planets have.

However, because this descriptive novel was very intriguing, and I had trouble putting it down, Eerth Awakening achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One star was removed due to the errors and the unrealistic similarities between the people of the two different planets.

No profanity or sex, other than kissing and touching, were encountered in the story. Subsequently, I enthusiastically recommend it to any reader who enjoys science fiction/fantasy novels with interwoven romance; however, I think readers in the YA age group would enjoy it the most.

Eerth Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

Sometimes I prefer not to read books whereby two people who fall in love can't be together, it's really saddening. But I would really love to read this one though, I love that Xania was portrayed as a fearless young woman in the book. Nice job on the review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

Romance in Sci/Fi & Fantasy books can be very fun to read about! I also love the fact that the author portrayed Xania strongly. I'm already interested about Yoloquin's character as well. Thank you for this lovely review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I will love to have a friend like Yoloquin.... Who wouldn't? Thanks for your insightful review and recommendation.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not a huge fan of science-fiction/fantasy books so maybe Eerth Awakening isn't for me but I enjoyed reading your beautifully written review nonetheless. Thank you!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Joan642 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 15:36 Sometimes I prefer not to read books whereby two people who fall in love can't be together, it's really saddening. But I would really love to read this one though, I love that Xania was portrayed as a fearless young woman in the book. Nice job on the review.
She is, indeed, portrayed as brave and strong. I think you would enjoy the book. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

SamaylaM wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 22:42 Romance in Sci/Fi & Fantasy books can be very fun to read about! I also love the fact that the author portrayed Xania strongly. I'm already interested about Yoloquin's character as well. Thank you for this lovely review!
You are welcome! I hope you get to read the novel!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 01:28 I will love to have a friend like Yoloquin.... Who wouldn't? Thanks for your insightful review and recommendation.
He was, indeed, a good friend. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Dominik_G wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 07:01 I'm not a huge fan of science-fiction/fantasy books so maybe Eerth Awakening isn't for me but I enjoyed reading your beautifully written review nonetheless. Thank you!
Thank you so much for the kind words. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things. :D
ATHIRAJITHI
Favorite Book: Immortals' Requiem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ATHIRAJITHI »

Sky and the outer earth is always a mistery to us.and am also curious to know more about it.this book was really interesting and thrilling too.I wish I was in xapnia's place
Shanteria123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shanteria123 »

By reading what I read so far I’m very interested in knowing what is going to happen and if they end up together
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

ATHIRAJITHI wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 08:46 Sky and the outer earth is always a mistery to us.and am also curious to know more about it.this book was really interesting and thrilling too.I wish I was in xapnia's place
It was a very intriguing book. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Shanteria123 wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 17:53 By reading what I read so far I’m very interested in knowing what is going to happen and if they end up together
I hope you get a chance to read it to find out. :D Thanks for stopping by!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Science fictions are fun to read! This book seems weird yet interesting. I want to read this one someday. Thank you for your wonderful review!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

No wonder the cover is that way -- It is perfect. I just love this science fiction genre. Imaginations run wild on a daily. Hahaha. Nice one, Prisallen.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”