Official Review: Something in the Middle by A.I. Wand

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: Something in the Middle by A.I. Wand

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something in the Middle" by A.I. Wand.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something in the Middle: Small Stories From the Far Side of Consciousness by A. I. Wand is an anthology of short stories. The book was written by 'Not-Wand.' 'A. I. Wand' is 'Not-Wand's' pseudonym; However, his pen name is 'Augie Christie.' 'Augie Christie's' pseudonym is 'Sir Agatha.' It is essential to keep these names in mind as you read this entertaining book as they will turn up frequently. Don't worry; as you read the book, it will all become clear.

This book has thirty-eight short stories, some that will give the reader a good chuckle, while others will cause them to laugh out loud. It is impossible to mention all of them, but I particularly enjoyed "The Online Seminar," in which Augie teaches his "Anyone Can Write" course. "Lilac" is about how everything that can go wrong in one day does. "If Only" describes the job of no one's dreams. "Noodles" is hilarious. It shares instructions on preparing to eat spicy hot wings and explains time and the earth's rotation speed. There are so many unique stories. Some are funny, others poignant, like "Aurora," and those that have discernable sexual innuendos such as "T.E.A.M" and "Curse."

Although I enjoyed many of the funny stories, I mostly liked the heart-touching "Aurora." A young woman with cancer dreams of going to Alaska to see the northern lights before she dies. She finally gets a chance to make the trip and is rewarded with a spectacular display of the beautiful luminescence. However, the story has a surprise ending that the reader doesn't expect.

The author included brief descriptions of the characters early in the book, which helps the reader follow each story. There are three parts to the book called "trimesters" (yes, as in pregnancy). These are titled "Strange Cravings," "Wild Mood Swings," and "Nesting Behaviors." Most of the stories are humorous. The characters are all developed to perfection, and some cross over from one narrative to another. It takes talent to manage so many different personalities and keep them interesting. The author's writing style is unique and enjoyable. After the main stories, the author includes "Bonus Material"—"Deep Cuts, Demos, and Outakes"— that the reader won't want to miss.

My favorite part was the fantastic graphics at the beginning and end of each story. What I disliked most were the profanity and graphic sexual innuendos. One scene in "T.E.A.M" doesn't appear to be sexual at first, but it becomes apparent due to the vivid description that follows. Overall, the book was well-edited, although I found some errors, none of which interfered with my enjoyment.

I have never been a short story fan, but I enjoyed reading this book and found the stories creative. I gladly rate Something in the Middle by A. I. Wand 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone over the age of eighteen who enjoys short stories and humorous content. The occasional strong sexual innuendos may be offensive to some readers. There is some profanity, albeit not in excess. This book probably would not appeal to most Christian readers.

Something in the Middle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I'm not sure if keeping consciousness of all these ‘pen names’ and ‘paeudonyms’ would not interrupt my reading flow. I'm just not sure.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 07:24 I'm not sure if keeping consciousness of all these ‘pen names’ and ‘paeudonyms’ would not interrupt my reading flow. I'm just not sure.
It takes a couple of stories to get your bearings on who is who, but I understand what you mean! It is a unique idea to use different names when they are all the same person, but it can get confusing! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The unusual approach of the book is appealing. The pseudonyms down to dividing into trimesters, and of course, the creative stories are interesting. Your comprehensive review is very insightful. Thank you so much.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

sssns wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 12:44 The unusual approach of the book is appealing. The pseudonyms down to dividing into trimesters, and of course, the creative stories are interesting. Your comprehensive review is very insightful. Thank you so much.
It is definitely unusual. I found it very creative. It is one of those books you will read more than once. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

That one last thing that Wand serves the reader after the main stories must be interesting given that it marks the ending.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

This must must have a great deal of creativity to actually fit 38 different stories in one book, without making the book bland. Thanks for this wonderful review
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Thiss seems quite a unique collection of short stories, so I'm intrigued. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tablito wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 10:43 That one last thing that Wand serves the reader after the main stories must be interesting given that it marks the ending.
Yes, it is! This was a fun book to read. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Eutoc wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 02:17 This must must have a great deal of creativity to actually fit 38 different stories in one book, without making the book bland. Thanks for this wonderful review
Thanks so much! Yes, it is a very creative book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 10:12 Thiss seems quite a unique collection of short stories, so I'm intrigued. Thank you for your great review!
It is indeed unique! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

Good short stories help to remove the bore that can come from taking on a long book. I like to use them to unwind after going through long titles.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Your description of the surprise ending in "Aurora" makes me want to read the book just for that story. Good Job!
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

Short stories are such a tricky thing--you have to connect to them really quickly, so it's hard to find a collection that really works for many readers. Thanks for the detailed review to help readers know if they will like this collection!
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kevivas03 wrote: 11 Oct 2020, 07:26 Good short stories help to remove the bore that can come from taking on a long book. I like to use them to unwind after going through long titles.
This is a unique collection of short stories, for sure! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! If you get a chance to read the book I hope you enjoy it!
B. Creech

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”