Official Review: The Pearl Harbor Conspiracy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: The Pearl Harbor Conspiracy

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pearl Harbor Conspiracy" by J.G. Schwartz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rebecca Rosen’s mother, Bernice, was dying. Rebecca took time off from her teaching job to help her mother during her last days. Between overwhelming pain and frequent morphine doses, her mother spoke about her family’s connection with Ethel and Julius Rosenberg. This couple was found guilty of spying for the Soviet Union and executed at Sing Sing prison in New York. Rebecca learned of her mother’s friendship with Ethel. How deep was her mother’s participation in Ethel’s plans? Did Ethel convince Bernice to use her position as a secretary to a Navy captain to participate in illegal activities that helped the Japanese? Rebecca learned secrets about her mother’s past that deeply perturbed her. How far would she be willing to go to keep those secrets buried in the past?

The Pearl Harbor Conspiracy by J. G. Schwartz is a historical fiction novel. The author masterfully blended historical facts about the Pearl Harbor attack with a compelling conspiracy theory. Could more lives have been saved if President Roosevelt had sent troops to Europe sooner? Why was there such apathy about the extermination of the Jews? The author imagined an intriguing conspiracy theory that added an exciting twist to the historical events.

The character development of the main characters was methodical and superb. Rebecca was the stereotypical daughter who dropped everything to attend to her ailing mother. The author slowly developed her patient and devoted personality. She was the loving daughter every mother wanted at their dying bed. This made some of her later actions surprising and totally unexpected. The author truly amazed me with the creative turns the story took. I appreciated the list of characters at the beginning of the book. The author also included an extensive list of references at the end of the book. Readers will be able to read and investigate any of the historical topics referenced in the narrative.

The author chose to write the story in the present tense. This is what I least liked about the story. I would have preferred the use of the past tense for the flashbacks to contrast with the current events of Rebecca’s time with her mother. I did find a few misspelled words and several comma errors in the narrative. Readers can enjoy this clean read that had only a few occurrences of profanity and no sexual scenes.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The intriguing story line, the well-developed characters, and the conspiracy theory’s suspenseful unfolding made this a stunning and entertaining read. The grammar errors and the use of the present tense in the flashbacks made me lower the score by one point. This remarkable story would appeal to all readers who enjoy thrillers, spy stories, and historical novels. This book will stimulate your thinking and leave you questioning the facts you learned in history class.

The Pearl Harbor Conspiracy
View: on Bookshelves
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Historical fiction are always fun to read. I tend to learn a lot while being entertained by the accompanying drama. I would love to read this.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an intriguing read. I like the sound of the well-developed characters, and the interesting twist on historical events. It’s a pity that the writing style was not so enjoyable. Thanks for the great review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I enjoyed your review! This books seems to have alot about history to teach. I'd love to read this book.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I believe this will make an amazing read. However, historical fiction do not really tickle my fancy. Thanks for this review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Eutoc wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 14:19 Historical fiction are always fun to read. I tend to learn a lot while being entertained by the accompanying drama. I would love to read this.
The author's creative ideas help readers to learn history and to investigate more about what really happened. This was an intriguing story. I hope you enjoy it, too! Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Pluma wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 18:30 This sounds like an intriguing read. I like the sound of the well-developed characters, and the interesting twist on historical events. It’s a pity that the writing style was not so enjoyable. Thanks for the great review!
This is an interesting book that leads readers to rethink and restudy the events portrayed in the plot. The author does an amazing job of describing the characters and the events. It makes both the fictional and the factual parts of the story intriguing and entertaining. Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 17:09 I enjoyed your review! This books seems to have alot about history to teach. I'd love to read this book.
The story is both informative and entertaining. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for reading and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 07:50 I believe this will make an amazing read. However, historical fiction do not really tickle my fancy. Thanks for this review.
This is an amazing read and the author makes your mind whirl with the possibilities she throws out! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Wonderful! The story seems to be real, is it? It is unfortunate that people celebrate apathy today. President Roosevelt must have learnt that eventually. Good job here, Kdstrack!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love historical fiction books because they educate and entertain simultaneously. Thanks for your wonderful review and recommendation.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I agree, present tense especially connecting to the past events is just irrelevant, and I'm not a fans of its over-usage too. But the book seems to be very intriguing! Thanks for a great review! :)
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Historic facts with consipiracy theory sounds very interesting to me. The book might be an interesting read! Maybe theres a lot to from this piece.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 12:14 Wonderful! The story seems to be real, is it? It is unfortunate that people celebrate apathy today. President Roosevelt must have learnt that eventually. Good job here, Kdstrack!
Only the historical facts are real. The author has embellished the story to make it a fascinating novel. This book will make you wonder about the "facts!" I hope you have a chance to read it. Thanks for commenting. :-)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Saint Bruno wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 03:37 I love historical fiction books because they educate and entertain simultaneously. Thanks for your wonderful review and recommendation.
I agree. I love it when the author helps you to review (or learn) history and can make you think about what really happened! Thanks for much for commenting.

Return to “Historical Fiction”