Official Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Official Review: Karinya by Paul Drewitt

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Karinya" by Paul Drewitt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Change doesn't come easily. The road to greatness and success is not always a smooth ride. Karinya by Paul Drewitt is a fictionalized story that revolves around the Aboriginal community of Karinya in urban Darwin. The people of Karinya were abandoned by their government and left to rot in abject poverty. As a result, chaos was the only norm in the town. They all craved a change in their fortunes, but who will bell the cat?

Kirra, the protagonist, is a 17-year-old girl who was born into poverty and has experienced sexual harassment in her community. She lives with her sick aunt, Diane. Her dream is to be an activist to stand up to the injustices, take action, and carve a new direction. She got inspired by thinking about great achievers like Luke Skywalker and Eddie Mabo, who were activists in their times. The journey for a change begins when Banjo, her boyfriend, wins a lottery for them to spend 24 hours in Mirambeena Resort, Darwin. What would have otherwise been an exciting day at the resort turns out to be the day they started running from the police. But what crime did Banjo and Kirra commit? Will Kirra still be able to pursue her dreams? Read this intriguing title to find out.

What I liked the most about this book is the strong relationship between Kirra and Banjo. The fact that they continued to support each other all through is worthy of emulation. The author's writing style makes this book an easy and entertaining read. Karinya was an excellent read from the beginning to the end for me. The whole storyline was so natural and relatable. This story will inspire and motivate the reader to be a great patriot because change begins with us. I also liked that Kirra was daring and refused to chicken out in the face of challenges.

The author developed unique characters that will keep the reader engaged throughout the book. Kudos, Mr. Drewitt! It helps that the author describes events in such a way that you feel like you were physically witnessing them. I greatly feared for the safety of Kirra and Banjo and wished I could warn them of danger. I bet your heart will be racing so fast during your read if you decide to pick this book up. It's an adventurous book filled with twists and turns. It may have a sequel, and I will be eagerly waiting to grab it.

Prospective readers should know there is a lot of swear words in this book. Nevertheless, it didn't deter my enjoyment because I realized it was the common language used in the Karinya community. This book needs another round of editing work, as I found so many grammatical errors. I, therefore, give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I reluctantly detracted one star because of the typos I encountered. If the typos were absent, I would gladly give the book the perfect rating because I enjoyed Paul's work. This book will inspire readers to think of how they can bring positive change in their communities.

I highly recommend this book to lovers of fictionalized stories, especially those who yearn for change and are willing to stand for what is right regardless of the circumstances and the risks involved. However, this read is not suitable for younger readers because of the well-detailed sex scenes and its violent content.

Karinya
View: on Bookshelves
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I like how insightful and detailed your review is. It seems that the book is really good and that you enjoyed it well given that you were reluctant in giving it three out of four stars.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I see Kirra and Bango as core elements of change in their community. I also know it won't be a very easy task. By the way, I like swear words, so bring it on!
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

I can feel the plot twist by reading your review. Hahaha... I don't mind swear words either. They seem to add flavour hahaha... This is a wonderful review, Chigo.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I enjoyed reading your very detailed review. Seems like this is an interesting book. I’m glad you liked it.
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

Story of Kirra is quite inspiring because of her resolve to want to fight for the rights of her marginalised community. I hope she makes it despite the problem she encounters at the resort. Nnice review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Kirra's story is quite sad and inspiring at the same time. I'll like to know what crime they committed. Beautiful review.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

Your review got me really interested in this book. I'm used to reading young adult fiction with superficial characters and without any important, real-world problems. This one seems to portray a unique and important perspective about poverty and people's rights. Great job on the review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your exciting review. This seems to be a thrilling book that I may enjoy.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Banjo didnt win no lottery. He robbed, right? Oh man! Or they are being framed of robbery! My brain is reelig already. I will give this one a read. Thanks for your recommendation.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love this setting and your description of the dilemma the characters are facing. You have me intrigued as to how this will turn out! Great writing. This is one I want to read. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Kirra sounds like a great character. Despite what she's done - whatever that may be - I do hope that she is able to achieve her dream! Thanks so much for an interesting review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

I rarely see stories which are centred around regions such as Australasia. Women protagonists help to drive issues to do with equal rights etc. So they are vital.
Kate Park
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-park.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kate Park »

Your very insightful review makes me want to give this book a try. I'm sure the relationship between Kirra and Banjo would be very interesting to see developed throughout the book.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

Stories of activism is so intriguing. I already like the character of Kirra, someone whos willing to bring a positive chage for everyones betterment. Thanks for your great judgement

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”