Official Review: How Steven the Bear Invented S'mores

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: How Steven the Bear Invented S'mores

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Steven the Bear Invented S'mores" by Scott Hall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In How Steven the Bear Invented S’mores, the Bear Bunch and some friends set off on their first-ever, group camping trip. This children’s tale by Scott Hall takes young readers on an overnight hiking excursion into a wooded wilderness. The characters spot birds with binoculars, go fishing with poles, and they delight in gathering firewood, picking blueberries, and reposing under the stars in sleeping bags. Illustrated by Madison Brake, whimsically delightful, full-page depictions accompany each bit of spoken dialogue and descriptive rhetoric. The scenes come to life through a blend of vivid colors and succinct snippets of easy-to-read text. All of the included facial expressions convey identifiable emotions and moods as the story progresses.

All of the named characters are various species of woodland animals that exhibit anthropomorphic qualities. They walk around on their hind legs, wear bandanas and backpacks, carry flags and flashlights, and communicate through humanistic conversations. They even use their imaginations to spot discernible shapes in the clouds. Once the story concludes, there is a bonus “FACTS” section. It provides some handy details about bears, foxes, rabbits, wolves, raccoons, bobcats, bluebirds, and gray jays and helps readers identify their individual footprints and tracks.

I enjoyed the thoughtful inclusion of responsible considerations like safety whistles, inventory preparation, hydration requirements, and the careful conscientiousness needed when constructing fire pits. The author places an appreciated emphasis upon honoring the “buddy system,” explaining how friendship can help ensure safety in unfamiliar locations. Some pages exhibit call-to-action commands, encouraging young readers to “find the bluebird” or “count the acorns” depicted.

At a length of 28 pages, this book can be easily read aloud in a short time frame. The vocabulary is straightforward, and some of the prose exhibits a rhyming quality. I noticed an equal gender distribution among the named characters, and there was also a pair of bears that acted as grandparents to Steven; this provided an additional, family bond component. In regards to the editing quality, I only came across a handful of minor grammatical and typographical errors in the hardcover edition. This is the only perceived area that could use subtle improvement. There was nothing I disliked about this cute story of exploration and teamwork.

I feel this book would be appropriate for ages 4 and up. This title effectively provides life lessons for little ones, especially kids who might be interested in joining a Cub Scouts group. Young readers will laugh at mentions of “smelly socks” and salivate at the thought of gooey marshmallows and melted chocolate bars. I gladly award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Never be afraid to try new things! You might discover an unconventional campfire treat in the process.

How Steven the Bear Invented S'mores
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

This book sounds like it would be fun to read aloud to a child! It makes me want to go camping and explore and laugh and play and fix s’mores too! Always a pleasure to read your reviews as they are entertaining all on their own and bring the book to life every time! I’m ready for a new adventure, let’s go!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I bet that children will find this book fascinating, as it has a lot to teach about other animals. Great review!
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

All I perceive in this book is FUN! I can't wait to read it out to my little girl. I understand she's getting passionate about animals, so, this is it!
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I like the idea of including a "Fact" section. You get both fact and fiction in one book. Nice review. Thanks!
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

What a charming story! I think it's cool that you mentioned an equal gender distribution. I remember as a kid, so many stories were always about boys. Thanks for an interesting review.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

This a great book for kids for various reasons. It encourages kids to enjoy the great outdoors, the fact section is educative on animals, and it doesn't favor any gender. Great review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 00:46 This book sounds like it would be fun to read aloud to a child! It makes me want to go camping and explore and laugh and play and fix s’mores too! Always a pleasure to read your reviews as they are entertaining all on their own and bring the book to life every time! I’m ready for a new adventure, let’s go!
Greatly appreciate the kind words of feedback and support! This wilderness tale took me on an adorable forest adventure with a fun group of quirky and memorable animal characters. I hope all children get the opportunity to experience the great outdoors to this degree! :fish:
AvidBibliophile

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 02:29 I bet that children will find this book fascinating, as it has a lot to teach about other animals. Great review!
Even as an adult reader, I was fascinated thoroughly! Then again, I've always loved books about smiling animals. Thanks so much for coming by to read and comment and leave a kind word. :book:
AvidBibliophile

Cynthia Olyy wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 03:32 All I perceive in this book is FUN! I can't wait to read it out to my little girl. I understand she's getting passionate about animals, so, this is it!
The campfires, birds, bears, bandanas, and stacked snacks were loads of FUN!
It's an interactive tail that's cute and educational. Hope you both love it if you get the chance to check it out! :bear:
AvidBibliophile

sssns wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:50 I like the idea of including a "Fact" section. You get both fact and fiction in one book. Nice review. Thanks!
I always appreciate finding a bonus section at the end, and this group of FACTS was truly educational (and easily applicable) to all future nature walks through the forest! :star: Greatly appreciate the kind words of support, thanks!
AvidBibliophile

Laura Lee wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 10:03 What a charming story! I think it's cool that you mentioned an equal gender distribution. I remember as a kid, so many stories were always about boys. Thanks for an interesting review.
Charming for sure! I always love seeing happy animals participating in traditionally human activities.
The more children's books I read, the more I seem to become consciously cognizant of equalized race and gender inclusion (when such an attribute has been thoughtfully considered). I'm glad that this one encourages both girls and boys to explore nature and camp out under the stars. :bird: :moon:
AvidBibliophile

Lilyflower-x2 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 11:06 This a great book for kids for various reasons. It encourages kids to enjoy the great outdoors, the fact section is educative on animals, and it doesn't favor any gender. Great review.
I wholeheartedly agree with your summarized assessment!
And this one is great for all ages because even I learned a thing or two about specific tracks and bunny hops. :rabbit:
Such a delightful little read! Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

This book sounds perfect for my great-nephews and great-niece! A timely tale, as s'mores season is upon us. Great review!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
AvidBibliophile

Maconstewart wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 17:41 This book sounds perfect for my great-nephews and great-niece! A timely tale, as s'mores season is upon us. Great review!
You are quite right—s’mores season is definitely (and finally) upon us! I think so many kids will absolutely adore this sweet Bear Bunch and friends tale. Thanks for the sweet words of support!

Return to “Children's Books”