Official Review: The Adventures of Sappy Sardine

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: The Adventures of Sappy Sardine

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Sappy Sardine" by Laurence McElrea.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Sappy Sardine by Laurence McElrea is a story about a young sardine. Like the title suggests, Sappy goes on an adventure. Sappy was in school one day when suddenly there was an attack, and everyone scattered. Instead of trying to find the others, once the danger was over, Sappy decided to go exploring instead. He had always longed to see more of the ocean.

I liked the adventurous spirit of Sappy the Sardine. He wasn't afraid to explore, but he had never been alone before. The ocean was a lot bigger than he had ever noticed. As he explores the sea, he meets new friends. After a while, he begins to detect problems with the ocean. There are areas where there is no life. Can Sappy figure out what's wrong? You'll need to read this book to find out!

The illustrations in this book are lovely. The colors are bright and deep, capturing the essence of underwater life. The effect of water and light is done well, and one can feel the ocean's depth as Sappy travels and discovers new adventure.

The character development is another plus in this tale of the sea. As Sappy learns, he becomes concerned, showing that even a little fish like Sappy can have a heart for his world. This conscientiousness is what I liked best about this book.

I loved how this author tells a sweet children's story while teaching children the natural world's value. The particular focus on earth's oceans is an essential topic of our times and can make a significant difference in how kids view the aquatic world.

The writing style is friendly in this book and uses language easy for children to understand. However, I noticed that the formatting includes the narration and dialogue in the paragraph blocks. Most stories carry the lines of dialogue on separate lines to make it easier to follow a conversation. That would have helped in this story.

I could find nothing to dislike about this book. I can't think of anyone to whom it wouldn't appeal. It has a great lesson to teach kids about saving our seas. It would be useful as a teaching aid in school classrooms. Young kids would enjoy it as much as older children. Even children at beginning reading levels would enjoy the beautiful illustrations of this book. However, I caution parents that a few of the images of barracudas chasing poor Sappy with their long teeth could frighten more sensitive children.

This book did not seem professionally edited. Several spelling and minor punctuation errors made it necessary for me to remove one star from its rating, but with corrections, it could quickly gain the top rating. Without further ado, I rate this unique story with 3 out of 4 stars.

The Adventures of Sappy Sardine
View: on Bookshelves
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Sappy is really courageous. But I'm concerned about the aspect of the message children would learn from the book; Sappy was adventurous in a danger prone environment. I think caution and safety could be a better message for younglings. Thanks for your detailed review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The book sounds intriguing and fun, I would probably read it to my youngest one who would never dare try and be courageous like Sappy. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While I love that Sappy is a free spirit, I worry that it is sending the message that it is okay to wander off, which could potentially be dangerous for kids. It does sound like a cute story, but I think I will pass, due to my above concerns. Thanks for the well-written review.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I am concerned that kids might think its a grand adventure to go off alone to save the world. I cannot recommend this book to my kids.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Aside from environmental awareness, I like the lesson on conscientiousness. It is nice to have children learn this quality at an early age. Thank you so much for the insightful review.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

My little ones will certainly appreciate the lessons in this book—consciousness and awareness. Thanks for this review!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Eutoc wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 13:45 Sappy is really courageous. But I'm concerned about the aspect of the message children would learn from the book; Sappy was adventurous in a danger prone environment. I think caution and safety could be a better message for younglings. Thanks for your detailed review.
I agree. In today's times, some caution in adventures is certainly advisable!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Nqobile771 wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 01:38 The book sounds intriguing and fun, I would probably read it to my youngest one who would never dare try and be courageous like Sappy. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your nice comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 05:24 While I love that Sappy is a free spirit, I worry that it is sending the message that it is okay to wander off, which could potentially be dangerous for kids. It does sound like a cute story, but I think I will pass, due to my above concerns. Thanks for the well-written review.
Thanks for dropping by!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Lilyflower-x2 wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 13:00 I am concerned that kids might think its a grand adventure to go off alone to save the world. I cannot recommend this book to my kids.
Thanks for your comments!
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I love your poetic description of the illustrations! Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Children's Books”