How much value do readers place in Reviews?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lakelander
Bookshelf Size: 0

How much value do readers place in Reviews?

Post by Lakelander »

For the most part, I believe Reviews are genuine. Only too often however, one suspects they may have been written by the author's well-meaning friends and relations, or by other authors on the principle of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". All of which tends to taint genuine reviews with both doubt and suspicion.
In any case, a review is simply an opinion of any one individual reader. For example, the 9000plus Reviews for the '50 Shades of Grey' trilogy, provide a complete spectrum of taste in literature, with the approving Reviews negating the disapproving ones, thereby rendering the whole system rather confusing, if not meaningless to those potential readers searching for a good Romance.
On the other hand, a number of people have in effect said in various Posts, "I don't bother much with Reviews, but depend upon recommendations from my friends". Why? Why only read what friends have already read? After all, the advent of eBooks has led to a situation where most authors now provide, in addition to their Pitch, a free sample preview rangeing from a few pages to the first five chapters, allowing potential readers to make up their own minds as to what they like and dislike.
Perhaps the OLBC could have a section devoted to listing Member-author's eBooks by, say: Title, Genre, Number of pages and Price, together with stating the number of free pages or the number of free chapters in the sample preview. In short, aiding potential readers to more easily make their own choices.
frogfriend

Post by frogfriend »

I never read reviews when searching for new books. I usually just read a synopsis to get a idea if the book is something I would be interesting in. I don't need others opinions since I know myself well enough to know what I will find interesting.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

It all depends on who the reviewer is ... a one off review from someone I never heard of would carry little weight with me.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Fran wrote:It all depends on who the reviewer is ... a one off review from someone I never heard of would carry little weight with me.
Couldn't agree more, I've had some great reads after recommendations from this very forum ( a great number from Fran herself ) I only use reviews as tips really since most of my reads are from the library, so I tend to pick fairly randomly on the subjects I like, then if it turns out poor....nothing lost. :D
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

I tend not to read reviews until I've read the book myself. Then I might check out what others thought of it and it it jibes with what I thought of it. But I love getting recommendations which is the beauty of forums like these. Like Ant, most of my reads are from libraries as well so it's more of a random selection then anything else.
holsterj
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsterj.html
Latest Review: "One Hundred Percent Innocent" by R.S.Baskerville

Post by holsterj »

I almost always read reviews when deciding whether or not to purchase a book. If I have already decided to make the purchase, a bad review or two will not stop me. But if I am just browsing and searching for a new book or new author, a few bad reviews may lead me to keep looking.
Latest Review: "One Hundred Percent Innocent" by R.S.Baskerville
freehat5d
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freehat5d.html
Latest Review: "Almost a Turkish Soap Opera" by Anne-Rae Vasquez

Post by freehat5d »

I don't always check reviews, but when I do they can have an impact on my decision. If for example, a book has a lot of reviews, most of them being negative then I might shy away from reading it. When I read free books I generally just take my chances and skip all reviews completely, but when I'm dishing out my own money for a book I like to know what I'm in for at least a little because chances are I'll force myself to finish it even if I don't like it just to justify paying for it. :P
Latest Review: "Almost a Turkish Soap Opera" by Anne-Rae Vasquez
alwaysreading09
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysreading09.html
Latest Review: "3 Days of Demons" by Ed Greenberg

Post by alwaysreading09 »

After I get the story base down if I'm unsure then I turn to reviews. But they don't necessarily deter me if they aren't great. My tastes may differ from everyone else.
Latest Review: "3 Days of Demons" by Ed Greenberg
gothique

Post by gothique »

Reviews are often the way I discover a new title to add to my reading list.
Something else I might point out amidst the recent review scandal of people paying for reviews or authors writing their own, or what have you, a review, for me, carries more weight when it's from Publisher's Weekly, Entertainment Weekly, NY Times Book Review...in other words, known entities I trust.
Having said that, I have a book review site of my own. No one knows me from Adam, but my book review blog shines light on first time authors, not mainstream already-got-it-made ones. I'm as honest as I can be in reviewing, and I list the only qualifications I have: I love to read, I've worked in 3 bookstores and a university library. I feel fully qualified to pass judgment on what is good and what is not.
However, at the end of the day, my opinion is my own and what I think stinks, someone else may think is the best thing since sliced bread.
"Where there's cake there's hope...and there's always cake"
- Dean Koontz
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

I have lists of books I find reviewed on this forum. I've found so many interesting authors and wonderful books since joining. Unfortunately, my libraries don't carry a lot of them. On my own, I like to find fictionalized stories of other countries such as Cutting for Stone and Running the Rift. It helps me to understand the conflicts that are happening now.i don't place a lot of value on reviews because each persons taste is different.
Evapohler

Post by Evapohler »

I read reviews and consider them, but I rely more on word of mouth from people I know and trust.
Sonia Galloway

Post by Sonia Galloway »

'Reviews' are the subjective opinions of a small number of individuals. Sometimes their literary tastes match that of a particular reader, sometimes not. And then, there are reviews that are empowered by advertising, and these are--more often than not--based in lies. This is my opinion.
Jillshure

Post by Jillshure »

Lakelander wrote:For the most part, I believe Reviews are genuine. Only too often however, one suspects they may have been written by the author's well-meaning friends and relations, or by other authors on the principle of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". All of which tends to taint genuine reviews with both doubt and suspicion.
In any case, a review is simply an opinion of any one individual reader. For example, the 9000plus Reviews for the '50 Shades of Grey' trilogy, provide a complete spectrum of taste in literature, with the approving Reviews negating the disapproving ones, thereby rendering the whole system rather confusing, if not meaningless to those potential readers searching for a good Romance.
On the other hand, a number of people have in effect said in various Posts, "I don't bother much with Reviews, but depend upon recommendations from my friends". Why? Why only read what friends have already read? After all, the advent of eBooks has led to a situation where most authors now provide, in addition to their Pitch, a free sample preview rangeing from a few pages to the first five chapters, allowing potential readers to make up their own minds as to what they like and dislike.
Perhaps the OLBC could have a section devoted to listing Member-author's eBooks by, say: Title, Genre, Number of pages and Price, together with stating the number of free pages or the number of free chapters in the sample preview. In short, aiding potential readers to more easily make their own choices.
I value reviews that are well written. I also try to read the first few pages of a novel to see if it's engrossing.
MysFan

Post by MysFan »

I tend to pick my own books. But I usually check out reviews too. If the book sounds interesting, I check it out. Often I enjoy the book and differ with the reviewer. Sometimes I wonder if they have read the whole book, or if they have given it a skim as they have so many to read.

I also like certain authors and wait for the next installments in their series, or development of new characters. On ocassion I am disappointed by an author who has chosen to produce mediocre work in order to get the books out and the money in hand. But more often my wait has been worth it. Wish some authors could write faster.

And then there are suggestions from this forum. Before I joined I was just sort of browsing the library, picking up those that sounded interesting. I still do that, but I have added forum members' suggestions with some good luck.
changoora

Post by changoora »

i never read rewiews

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”