Official Review: Tethered to Wanting

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Tethered to Wanting

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tethered to Wanting" by Constance Huddleston Anderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Lunda Rose Halverston wasn’t being moved around the country from one state to another, she spent most of her growing-up years in the mountains of Tennessee, where most of her father and mother’s families lived. Her father was brilliant; however, he had an extremely short temper, a violent nature, and a reputation for being mean. She loved staying with her wise grandma, Lillie Dabney Halverston, her father’s mother, where she felt loved and safe. Lillie was the only person who could calm Lunda Rose’s father when he was enraged. Lunda Rose grew up with a longing to be in a stable family—one without guns, without a constant threat of violence, and without secrets.

Fear was with her always. She feared each night of being awakened and informed the family must flee once again to another town in another state, abandoning all of their belongings. When her father was gone for weeks and months at a time, she was frightened he wouldn’t return home. However, what terrified her the most was the fear he would kill her mother after another violent argument when he did return home.

Tethered to Wanting by Constance Huddleston Anderson is a poignant and haunting story about the search for that elusive something that can bring happiness. Most of the story takes place in the small community and coal town of Morley, Tennessee in the 1950s through the 1960s. It reminds us of the difficult lives of the people who lived in the Appalachians during that time. I grew up in the hills of Kentucky, and her words ring true. They remind me greatly of my childhood, bringing back a touch of nostalgia and sadness. Ms. Anderson says, “Tethered to Wanting was first written as a memoir. Ninety-five percent of the story is true with names changed and a few embellished descriptions. All pivotal events and life-changing moments are true. All of the characters are real people.” Her prose is easy to understand and vividly descriptive, compelling the reader to visualize the scenes and creating a sense of suspense and tension. The story jumps right into the action with an attack on her mother by her father. Her writing style represents my favorite aspect of the book, although it is difficult to decide since there is so much that I love. The story has lingered with me since reading it.

Excellent descriptions of the people are another aspect of the book that I appreciate. The story is narrated from the first-person point of view, from Lunda Rose’s perspective. Therefore, one can feel her longing and also her terror. The toll on her psyche from the life she was dealt with is clear. My favorite person is her Grandmother Lillie Dabney. She is a feisty, skinny, and clever Cherokee who is one of the few stable aspects of Lunda Rose’s life, encouraging her through the difficult times. She constantly gives Lunda Rose advice, for example, “Try not to hold on to or even imagine the bad things. Don’t let them ball up in you and fester. Just let them go. You have the command over both of them. Make up your own truth when you need to.”

The underlying themes of the story concern domestic violence, love, anger, guilt, forgiveness, hope, and the dangers from secrets. As Lunda Rose said, “Secrets were deadly. They imploded my family, backfiring—causing each deception, each wrong, each little lie, and sometimes even the good intentions to fold in on themselves.”

Sadly, I encountered too many punctuation, grammatical, and formatting errors in the book to award it a perfect score, even though I definitely wanted to. However, these were minor and did not interfere with my reading pleasure. This is the only thing I didn’t enjoy in the story. One more round of editing is advised. Because of this, Tethered to Wanting receives a rating of three out of four stars. I heartily recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs, historical books, or dramas with some mystery intertwined. However, episodes of violence and rare borderline profanities were encountered. Therefore, it is unsuitable for young children and people who may be triggered by descriptions of domestic violence.

Tethered to Wanting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tjbarn86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjbarn86.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by Tjbarn86 »

Lovely review and it totally does seem like a well-rounded ups and downs narrative that I could pick up.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

It must have been really hard for Lunda Rose to cope with the circumstances surrounding her family while growing up. Thanks for your honest review.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

The title of this book is apt. The protagonists is indeed tethered to wanting safety. I can blame her after experiencing such instability. Kudos to you, Prisallen.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

Such is life. People face personal problems of different shades. I hope the editing gets done soon. Thanks for a lovely review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tjbarn86 wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 02:43 Lovely review and it totally does seem like a well-rounded ups and downs narrative that I could pick up.
I hope you get a chance to try it out. I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Joan642 wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 03:58 It must have been really hard for Lunda Rose to cope with the circumstances surrounding her family while growing up. Thanks for your honest review.
I found it hard to imagine the stress she had to be under. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Olabode Joshua wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 14:09 The title of this book is apt. The protagonists is indeed tethered to wanting safety. I can blame her after experiencing such instability. Kudos to you, Prisallen.
Thanks so much for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tayejim1 wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 02:43 Such is life. People face personal problems of different shades. I hope the editing gets done soon. Thanks for a lovely review.
Personally, I think it could easily get a four-star rating once the errors are fixed. Thanks for the comments!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Unfortunately, many families have these same issues. I enjoy reading books that show not all families are picture perfect. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Secrets were deadly.
This is very true. Keeping secrets from your loved ones is never a good idea; even if it is for good intentions. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

The search for happiness in any human's life is a tricky one. I enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review. Good job and thanks for the recommendation.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 19:52 Unfortunately, many families have these same issues. I enjoy reading books that show not all families are picture perfect. Thank you for your review.
I'm glad that the majority of us don't have the issues in this family. They are definitely worse than the average. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for your comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

rahilshajahan wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 00:26
Secrets were deadly.
This is very true. Keeping secrets from your loved ones is never a good idea; even if it is for good intentions. Thanks for an insightful review!
I couldn't agree more. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Saint Bruno wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 05:51 The search for happiness in any human's life is a tricky one. I enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review. Good job and thanks for the recommendation.
It can be quite elusive. Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”