Official Review: Rebecca and Ruby series The Haunted House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Official Review: Rebecca and Ruby series The Haunted House

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rebecca and Ruby series The Haunted House" by Jacques Gaudreault.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you have an imaginary friend you can talk to? Do they help you solve problems and get even with people who have treated you poorly? For Rebecca, her imaginary friend provided company and comfort. Rebecca was an only child who spent half the summer with each of her divorced parents. She spent a lot of time with her grandparents while her dad was at work. One of the neighborhood boys told her he would pay her $20 to retrieve a baseball glove from a haunted house. He also suggested that girls were more afraid than boys, so he knew she would not go get it. That made her want to go to the house even more. Rebecca and Ruby and the Haunted House by Jacques Gaudreault is the second book in the Rebecca and Ruby series. This is a fictional story of a young girl who had an imaginary dragon friend named Ruby. The book describes their escapades at an old, abandoned house.

I liked how the author developed the characters of Rebecca and Ruby. I could picture the young girl wandering the neighborhood talking to Ruby, while trying to keep people from thinking that she was talking to herself. I liked Rebecca. She was smart and daring. She was not afraid to explore. Like most decisions made on a dare, she made a bad one when she went to the abandoned house. Her grandparents had warned her not to go there because it was dangerous, but as most youngsters do to fit in, she took the bait from the boys.

There was not anything I disliked about the story. This is the second book in a series and was entertaining with lots of twists and turns. The book was a good stand-alone read and I did not feel that it was necessary to read the first book to understand this story. The ending of the book set the reader up to want to read the next in the series.

There were some spelling and punctuation errors, but they did not take away from the story. I think the book provided some valuable life lessons. Because some spelling and punctuation errors did exist, I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars. An additional round of editing would make this book a 4-star book. Overall, this is a well-written book that provides a solid lesson in treating others with kindness.

I recommend this book to any adventure-loving young reader. I think many people could see themselves in this book. It is a story of trying to fit in, having imaginary friends to comfort and help with decisions, and growing up alone and sometimes lonely.

Rebecca and Ruby series The Haunted House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Friendship holds us all in; it embraces us in our weakest. This will be great to read.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

I would not mind some twists and turns. Going by your review it seems like a captivating read. Thank you for the review.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

From your very insightful review, I can tell that this book would make an interesting read for me. I like when the young protagonists in a book are made smart and brave.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I too had an imaginary friend when I was young, up until my younger brother came along. Also, in addition to loving the childrens/YA genres, I love haunted house stories. Because this one is geared towards the young crowd, I'm sure it's a good deal less dramatic than my own very last read, which would be a relief. Perhaps I'll fit it in between reviews. Thanks for the interesting intro!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Your review makes me want to read the book immediately and find out for myself the kind of mischief Rebecca and Ruby got into. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Are imaginary friends a real thing or people just talk to themselves and term it 'imaginary' friend. Well I guess they are imaginary because they are not real 🤷🏻‍♀️(pun intended).
I like this storyline and I'd definitely like to tryout this book.
Thank you for this nice review.
Live and let live, baby.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

MsTri wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 18:32 I too had an imaginary friend when I was young, up until my younger brother came along. Also, in addition to loving the childrens/YA genres, I love haunted house stories. Because this one is geared towards the young crowd, I'm sure it's a good deal less dramatic than my own very last read, which would be a relief. Perhaps I'll fit it in between reviews. Thanks for the interesting intro!
If you don't mind, how does it feel to have an imaginary friend? And how did the friend feel after your brother came along?
Live and let live, baby.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 05:59
MsTri wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 18:32 I too had an imaginary friend when I was young, up until my younger brother came along. Also, in addition to loving the childrens/YA genres, I love haunted house stories. Because this one is geared towards the young crowd, I'm sure it's a good deal less dramatic than my own very last read, which would be a relief. Perhaps I'll fit it in between reviews. Thanks for the interesting intro!
If you don't mind, how does it feel to have an imaginary friend? And how did the friend feel after your brother came along?
I was younger than five when my brother was born, so I don't remember those details, but I do remember liking her.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

MsTri wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 08:43
AnnOgochukwu wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 05:59
I was younger than five when my brother was born, so I don't remember those details, but I do remember liking her.
Awww😊. Thank you for replying.
Live and let live, baby.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I am only young at heart, but I do love a good story about haunted houses. I may have to read this one. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Dayodiola wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 07:24 Friendship holds us all in; it embraces us in our weakest. This will be great to read.
It was a fun book. I look forward to reading others in the series.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 08:39 I am only young at heart, but I do love a good story about haunted houses. I may have to read this one. Thank you for your review.
It was a fun book to read. I hope you enjoy it.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

RHD wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 07:30 I would not mind some twists and turns. Going by your review it seems like a captivating read. Thank you for the review.
It is aimed at a young audience, but it was a great read. Hope you enjoy it.
Miller56
Currently Reading:

Post by Miller56 »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 28 Sep 2020, 05:55 Are imaginary friends a real thing or people just talk to themselves and term it 'imaginary' friend. Well I guess they are imaginary because they are not real 🤷🏻‍♀️(pun intended).
I like this storyline and I'd definitely like to tryout this book.
Thank you for this nice review.
Thanks for stopping by. Imaginary friends are as real as can be to the person who has them. Sometimes they are the best friends of all. Thanks for taking time to read my review.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”