Official Review: Something About Sammy by Blaine Sims

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Arimart99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arimart99.html
Latest Review: Whispers in the Dark by S.N.M Jones

Official Review: Something About Sammy by Blaine Sims

Post by Arimart99 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something About Sammy" by Blaine Sims.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something About Sammy by Blaine Sims is about a man named Andrei who, for some unknown reason, becomes obsessed with Sammy, a young gay man. Andrei is an older man who has gone through a lot of ups and downs in his life. He moves to a new community and decides to go to a bar where he meets Sammy. For Andrei, it becomes love and lust at first sight. However, there is a problem – Andrei is straight. Why is he suddenly attracted to another man? Why Sammy? What mysterious force is behind this attraction?

My favorite part of the book is the ending. It is shocking and unexpected. However, unlike other books with shocking endings, this one does not end in a cliffhanger and does not feel rushed. Everything is wrapped up nicely. It is an ending that leaves us questioning not only Andrei’s reality but our reality as well.

Reading this book is very much like reading a memoir. There are no shocking plot twists (except for the ending), there is no action-packed adventure, and there are no lovers that overcome all obstacles to end in a happily ever after. It is simply a man narrating his life story and his obsession with Sammy. Therefore, if you do not like reading this type of content, this book might not be for you.

The book focuses on a lot of issues that stem from mental health problems, such as depression, obsession, and bipolar disorder. A couple of these subjects are discussed openly, but others are interwoven so subtly in Andrei’s story that you don’t realize it until the end. It is an interesting parallel to real-life because sometimes psychological problems can go unnoticed for years.

My least favorite part of the book was the detailed explanations of certain subjects, such as obsession and bipolar disorder, in the middle of the book. Even though these explanations were written from Andrei’s point of view, they still stood out from the rest of the narrative.

I recommend this book to anyone who has family or friends struggling with mental health problems. However, I feel like reading Andrei’s story might be triggering for people with depression, especially those struggling with suicidal thoughts. The book touches on the subject of sex, but there are no actual sex scenes. It contains profanity, but I did not find it overly done. I recommend this story to people over the age of 18. A younger audience might not be able to grasp some of the more mature themes presented in the story.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The objective of opening our eyes to mental health problems is brilliantly executed. It does so in a very subtle but very powerful way. I found at least ten grammar mistakes, but none of them created a distraction from the story. Nevertheless, the number of mistakes is enough to not give this book 4 stars.

Something About Sammy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by RHD »

Well, this one seems different. I like the fact that it has a lot to do with depression, suicide and such. This is a sensitive issue right now. Kudos for a good review 👏

Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

SUCH AN IMPORTANT BOOK! we need more books on mental health. Your review was amazing! thanks for writing this.

sssns
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by sssns »

Gender issues and mental health problems are a curious mix. Thank you for the review.

Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: The Northern Pike Story by Thomas Ashmore

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Sounds interesting, but not my type of book. Thank you for the review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”