Featured Official Review: The Knucklehead & Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Featured Official Review: The Knucklehead & Other Stories

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Knucklehead & Other Stories" by Lance A. Ealey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book has everything: classic Americana, vintage vehicles, British slang, theological theories, time travel, howling junkmen, and one-on-one conversations with Galileo. And that's only part of it. I wouldn't consider it an exaggeration to say, The Knucklehead & Other Stories by Lance A. Ealey is a little slice of nerd perfection.

The Knucklehead & Other Stories consists of 4 short stories and a novella. It's a fairly short book, only 166 pages, but it contains more information and imagination than many much longer novels. What I loved most about this book is the way the author manages to slide in archaic and arcane facts from history and science without making the book seem the least bit didactic. For a History and Science-fiction geek like me, the stories felt like little word-shots: not too difficult to swallow, yet long-lasting in effect.

The stories range from the discovery of a vintage Harley to the physics of time-travel. The tone fluctuates between humorous and slightly twisted. The characters in each story are fascinating, coming alive through their unique personalities with accents ranging from Southern twang to the Queens English. My favorite part of the book was the novella, which tells the story of the search for a time-machine built by Galileo. The author blends fact with fiction, science with theology, and history with myth to create a fascinating tale with just enough actual truth in it to seem completely plausible.

This book did have me doing searches on Google a couple of times. For instance, in the story "The Knucklehead" the author assumes you know certain facts about classic motorbikes, without which the story would make less sense. This may seem like a drawback to some readers, but I rather enjoyed the additional reading. Maybe it's because, in my world, you can never know enough useless trivia.

After reading this book I did an online search for more books by its author. I was very surprised to find that Lance A. Ealey does not have many published books. The Knucklehead & Other Stories reads like a book written by an established writer. The writing style is effortless, the conversations between characters are engaging, and the each of the stories ends with a sense of completeness that is often lacking in similar books.

Overall, The Knucklehead & Other Stories is a thoroughly enjoyable, quick read, especially perfect for readers who enjoy science-fiction and random facts. There was nothing I disliked about it. It does contain some profanity and sexual innuendo, but they are not overused, and the book would be suitable for older teens. It appears to be professionally edited. I wholeheartedly rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Knucklehead & Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by victoriasimons »

You've completely sold this book to me - thank you for the fun and creative review!
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

victoriasimons wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 11:04 You've completely sold this book to me - thank you for the fun and creative review!
It's a fun book!
1 Cor 15: 19-20, 26 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead...The last enemy to be destroyed is death.
Tayejim1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tayejim1.html
Latest Review: Manning Up:(PoesyEssays Of Women's Interest) by Mr.Bigmann Grier

Post by Tayejim1 »

The writing style is effortless, the conversations between characters are engaging, and the each of the stories ends with a sense of completeness that is often lacking in similar books.
Good recommendation. I'll keep this in my want to read list. Thanks.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I wouldn’t mind reading “a little slice of nerd perfection.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Thanks for the recommendation. Great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Sounds like a fun collection of short stories to bury my nose in. What a passionate review, Thank you!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

What a great review! I love a good nerdy book, that makes you search n Google. Thank you for your time!
Ravshan
Currently Reading: Say Goodbye To Plastic
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravshan.html
Latest Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Post by Ravshan »

victoriasimons wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 11:04 You've completely sold this book to me - thank you for the fun and creative review!
you interested me to this book i will read this :D :D :D
nandini_gupta
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by nandini_gupta »

Thanks for this review. I was really looking for some unique stories, this books seems to meet my expectation.
Manimegalai K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Manimegalai K »

I love to read short stories. Quick reads keep me hooked now and then between my assignments. A good book always is welcome. This goes to my list.
Siriusly_blank
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siriusly-blank.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Siriusly_blank »

What can be better than a set of unique short stories 😍 specially written for nerds 😬?....am going to grab a copy of this as soon as possible. Thanx for the interesting review.😁
gayscott
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gayscott.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by gayscott »

I love short stories. This sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the great review...really makes me want to get it.
I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :reading-6: :reading-6: :angelic-cyan:
Cas95
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cas95 »

It sounds really interesting. I love time-travel stories! When the characters get to see how different other periods are and have to be careful with each step, because they could messed up the original time line... And they always do. Jaja. Thanks for the recommendation :)
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

:tiphat: "...a little slice of nerd perfection" got me chuckling :lol:
I absolutely love your review! Your diction is top-notch and your writing style is so entertaining and smooth.
Excellent review! :tiphat:
Kibe_Ryan
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibe-ryan.html
Latest Review: Beyond Paris by Paul Alexander Casper

Post by Kibe_Ryan »

Wow such a nice review, sounded to me like a perfect trailer. I'm looking forward to reading this book

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”