Review by Ria710 -- Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review by Ria710 -- Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS" by Laura Moss White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS: Substitute Teaching Cartoons From Real Life by Laura Moss White is a hilarious book. Each page shows a different scenario through illustrations. These illustrations portray real-life experiences that substitute teachers go through. This is meant to be a light-hearted, fun read. The author has spent 15 years teaching as a substitute teacher, and she has placed her day-to-day real-life experiences in this book.

What I liked most about the book are the simple illustrations. This makes it easy to see what’s going on. The illustrator beautifully captures the emotions of the characters. You can understand and feel what they are feeling just by looking at it. Every page contains speech bubbles with dialogue. This gives it a comic book feel. I like that the author kept the dialogues short and simple. It allows individuals of any age to read the book. I also liked that the author put name tags on the characters. This makes it easy to identify the substitute teacher in the illustration.

My favourite drawing involves the substitute teacher waiting in the classroom, while students are looking through the windows to see what the teacher looks like. This is hilariously accurate. There were no illustrations that I disliked. All of them made me laugh. Whilst reading, I found myself picturing these scenarios as a student. This book makes me appreciate the work of a substitute teacher. It makes you realise how much work and effort they have to put into their job. We take them for granted, and we don’t give them enough credit.

There is nothing that I disliked about the book. I enjoyed it from start to finish. I think coloured illustrations would have made it look better. However, the author did say that the pages can be used as colouring pages. At only 62 pages, it is very short, and it can be read in one sitting.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. I didn’t find any mistakes, so it is professionally edited. Even though the book is targeted to substitute teachers, I know students will also have fun reading it. I highly recommend it to all ages because there is no profanity or mature content involved. This book gives an insight into what it’s like to work as a substitute teacher. So, it could help people decide if they want to work as one.

Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bibliogn0st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliogn0st.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B07Q3T2RZF

Post by Bibliogn0st »

I loved how accurate, funny and easy to read this book was. I agree that we subs are taken for granted and this book makes us subtly realize that. I enjoyed reading your take on the book. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”