Official Review: Turn of the Hourglass by Sarah Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Turn of the Hourglass by Sarah Nelson

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Turn of the Hourglass" by Sarah Nelson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever come across something so breathtaking that you are left short of words and utterly speechless? Turn of the Hourglass by Sarah Nelson is a book that offers such feeling. It is a fantasy-based novel composed of 24 chapters and 761 pages. The book gives a compelling storyline, which includes time travel, magic, and fate.

The Kingdom of Isaaria consists of eight royal families. Soleil Marson has lived the most significant part of her life following and protecting one the potential lost heir of Isaaria, Crown Prince Rian Yakarami. As his Khashtani (a secret soldier or bodyguard sworn and dedicated to protecting his/her principal), she watches and follows him in secret, eliminating any threat to his life. She did so with the help of her Khashak (Naomi, Taris, and Korvaan). Soleil and her Khashak have been raised since childhood by Nusk to protect Rian after Carson's family gave a prophecy about the next heir of Isaaria. With Comus Day (a day appointed for choosing the next King of Isaaria) approaching, Soleil must determine whether to let Rian come forward as the next heir or hide his identity to protect him. Meanwhile, Soleil encounters questionable events that kept her pondering. Read this book to discover what threats lie in wait for Crown Prince Rian, and what revelations Soleil encounters.

This book is undoubtedly one of a kind. At first, I wondered what could possibly make the storyline so lengthy, but after reading halfway through it, I was awed. I must say that the way events turned out was not something that I expected. I thought the storyline was going to center on Soleil’s dedication to Rian as his Khashtani and never imagined that it would be more complicated. The concept of time travel was also impressive. I loved how the author incorporated magic, medieval equipment, and technology into the story. The characters used modern technologies (radios and guns), medieval equipments (swords, knives, and poison needles), and still made use of Flukes (magical powers). The fact that the author seamlessly merged ancient strategies with modern technology made the storyline intriguing. Also, the book is action-packed, which made it seemed like I had a front-row seat watching an action movie. Above all, there is nothing I dislike about the book.

There is also an expression of love and romance. Many sacrifices were made based on love. The existence of Rian is due to the sacrifices made of love. The book’s characterization was top-notch. It had an impressive cast of characters, which included major and minor characters that were well-developed. My favorite character in the book was Lune. I admire the sacrifices she made for Soleil. In the book, the battle against Vasan, Yuugo, and Detrus caught my attention the most. I loved how Crown Princess Nissa, Lune, and the rest fought together. I also loved the book’s structuring. The storyline is well-paced. The suspense and element of surprise contained in the book also made it very thrilling. I could not have predicted Carson’s prophecy or Rian’s threat.

I loved the author’s writing style. The book’s plot was captivating and realistic. The language used was simple, and the author’s choice of words was magnificent. However, there were several grammatical errors I noticed while reading this book. The errors impeded my reading comprehension. Therefore, I am rating Turn of the Hourglass 3 out of 4 stars. The one star subtracted was because of the grammatical errors. This book will appeal to lovers of magical stories, adventure, and action.

Turn of the Hourglass
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

Woah! This sounds like an amazing, unique story. I love that the author seamlessly combined modern technology with magic and medieval equipment. Putting this story on my to-read list. :) Thank you for this insightful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a terrific fantasy story with a sophisticated storyline and great characters. With another round of proofreading, it could be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
redknitcapgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redknitcapgirl.html
Latest Review: The ultimate love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by redknitcapgirl »

This sounds interesting. I should grab this one next. Thanks for the review!
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an exciting read, with an intriguing storyline and characters. I like the sound of all the different elements the author used, and how well they were blended. Thanks for the great Review!
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

Indeed, the title of this book is quite eye-catching. It seems that the author has masterfully merged medieval equipment and modern technology in the story. I am a little intimidated by the book's length, I'd love to give this book a try.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I love themes of time-traveling and magic so much! It sounds like a good read for me. Thank you for mentioning about the grammar issues as well. Great review! :)
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

The cover of this book and the story remind me of a fairytale. I was captivated by your review, it is fantastic!
arshia_jagtap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arshia-jagtap.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by arshia_jagtap »

The word breathtaking really seems fitting for the book as you've described it! The cover is so pretty and gives off an ethereal vibe that seems to be present in the writing as well, from what I gather! Will definitely be adding this book to my lists. Thank you for sharing this lovely review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”