Official Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Accessible Iliad" by Emer Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A war broke out between the Trojans and the Achaians when Alexandros (son of the king of Troy) refused to give back Helen (wife of Menelaos, younger brother of the king of Mykenai) to her husband. Nine years have transpired since the Achaians first waged war against the city of Troy, yet no side has triumphed. The Achaians have not sacked the city of Troy, and the Trojans have not pushed the Achaians away from their city.

Homer’s Iliad began by detailing the events which lead to a fight that broke out between Agamemnon, king of Mykenai, and Achilles, the Achaians’ greatest warrior. Filled with bitterness, Achilles decided not to fight alongside the Achaians. Achilles’ bold decision did not produce any effect on Agamemnon. Agamemnon did not attempt to reconcile with him. Then, Achilles implored his mother Thetis to ask Zeus a favor: Achilles wants Zeus to side with the Trojans, not with the Achaians. Will Zeus approve of Thetis’ request? Will Agamemnon come to terms with Achilles? Will the Trojan War end with the Trojans as the victors?

An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson tells the story of the epic poem Iliad in the form of prose. It strictly follows the plot of the original piece and is divided into twenty-four chapters, which are conventionally called "books." Since the story involves a large ensemble of characters, reading the book can be confusing. To aid the readers, the book offers three separate lists of significant characters and their concise descriptions for the Greek side, the Trojan side, and the Gods. The narrative features themes of betrayal, violence, and deception.

The strongest feature of the book is the simplicity of the language used in telling the story. The book remained true to its purpose, which is to render the Iliad into uncomplicated prose that is accessible to ordinary readers. For some people, the original epic poem can be arduous to read and understand because of its old poetic style. I know that with this book, readers who don’t like poetry will genuinely enjoy learning about the events that went down during the Trojan war.

What I disliked the most about the book is the reason behind the war between the Trojans and the Achaians. I believe that if the leaders of the Achaians and the Trojans resolved their conflict peacefully, all the battles and the slain men would be prevented. However, I only hated the foolish basis of war and the war leaders’ absurdity slightly. I supposed the brutal manner of thinking and doing is only normal under that epoch. Thus, my hatred isn’t grand enough to affect my enjoyment of the book.

The use of profane language is minimal. Lewd scenes are also reduced to euphemisms and sexual references. The book is filled with errors; I recorded more than ten mistakes. Overall, I rate An Accessible Iliad 3 out of 4 stars. Emer Jackson has masterfully rendered the epic poem into prose while retaining its original touch and feel. With its simple language, the book is accessible to the average reader. The silly grounds for fighting did not affect my enjoyment of the book greatly; I still removed one star from the rating since the errors affected my appreciation of the book.

Violence is one of the key themes in the story. Many scenes take place on battlefields and contain gruesome depictions of how men slaughter each other. The most extreme descriptions feature beheading and disembowelment. Hence, I do not recommend this to very young readers. This book best appeals to avid readers and scholars of ancient Greek literature. Readers who have read the original piece of Homer’s Iliad might want to read this version. If you have not read the Iliad because you dislike poetry, I recommend you to read this prose.

An Accessible Iliad
View: on Bookshelves
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

It is easy to relate to this book as it is a popular story of Troy. Thanks for this wonderful review and recommendation.
Amara911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amara911.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Amara911 »

I think I would pass on this book maybe because of the violence part
Thanks for this honest review
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

This would be the written version if Troy. I feel it would be more detailed though. Was it?
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This does sound like quite a helpful account, so I hope the author has it edited to remove the errors. Thanks for your insightful review! I especially like your perspective on the pettiness that brought about so much death.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Oh, the super famous epic poem Iliad. I haven't read the full poem yet, but many works I read mentioned the characters and the war itself. I hope the prose version of it will be as interesting as the original piece.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I like the story of Troy very much but I haven't read the Iliad since I am not much a fan of poetry. So, I am delighted by this book. I wish I can review this book. Thanks for the great review!
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I've read a lot of stories about the famous Troy over the years. The author's idea surely stands out from the others. However, I cannot stomach explicitly written violence, so might just have to pass it up. Thank you for writing such a detailed review! :)
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Sounds like an interesting read, but maybe not for me.
Divergent_2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-2020.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Divergent_2020 »

I have always been interested in Greek literature. But, I may pass on this book because of the confusing storyline and violence. You have done a good job with the review by covering all aspects.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Homer's Iliad in prose is such a great idea! Thanks for this informative review! :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's sad that this book has so many errors. Otherwise, if this is your genre, it sounds like a good one. I don't really care for Homer's Iliad, myself, but I appreciated the review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I’m a sucker for a great historical book. I’ve heard and read many accounts of the Trojan war. Adding another view to my scope will be great.

This was a lovely review, thank you.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Saint Bruno wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 04:02 It is easy to relate to this book as it is a popular story of Troy. Thanks for this wonderful review and recommendation.
Amara911 wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 07:00 I think I would pass on this book maybe because of the violence part
Thanks for this honest review
honesty_pays wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 09:11 This would be the written version if Troy. I feel it would be more detailed though. Was it?
Dentarthurdent wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 20:51 This does sound like quite a helpful account, so I hope the author has it edited to remove the errors. Thanks for your insightful review! I especially like your perspective on the pettiness that brought about so much death.
Sou Hi wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 20:53 Oh, the super famous epic poem Iliad. I haven't read the full poem yet, but many works I read mentioned the characters and the war itself. I hope the prose version of it will be as interesting as the original piece.
anua24060 wrote: 16 Sep 2020, 23:10 I like the story of Troy very much but I haven't read the Iliad since I am not much a fan of poetry. So, I am delighted by this book. I wish I can review this book. Thanks for the great review!
SamaylaM wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 00:36 I've read a lot of stories about the famous Troy over the years. The author's idea surely stands out from the others. However, I cannot stomach explicitly written violence, so might just have to pass it up. Thank you for writing such a detailed review! :)
pablo10 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 00:39 Sounds like an interesting read, but maybe not for me.
Divergent_2020 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 04:24 I have always been interested in Greek literature. But, I may pass on this book because of the confusing storyline and violence. You have done a good job with the review by covering all aspects.
Ellylion wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 05:43 Homer's Iliad in prose is such a great idea! Thanks for this informative review! :)
kandscreeley wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 18:38 It's sad that this book has so many errors. Otherwise, if this is your genre, it sounds like a good one. I don't really care for Homer's Iliad, myself, but I appreciated the review. Thanks.
Christieee wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 03:17 I’m a sucker for a great historical book. I’ve heard and read many accounts of the Trojan war. Adding another view to my scope will be great.

This was a lovely review, thank you.
ty track, ty track (Thank you everyone! I appreciate all your comments pertaining to my review's content, structure and quality. Your remarks about the book is also acknowledged.)
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

Awesome review! I had so much trouble understanding the poems and literature from "back in the day!" I can't wait to read this book for some clarity.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”