Official Review: Escaping A Life Sentence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Official Review: Escaping A Life Sentence

Post by khaulah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escaping A Life Sentence" by Cornell Bunting.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cornell Bunting is in a dire situation. After being released from a wrongful conviction, he has no place to go. His business partner and friend admits she harbors deeper feelings for him and wants to get married. Despite not having any romantic interest in her, he proceeds with the marriage, so that his children would have a roof over their head. Would this hastily made decision be a sensible decision as well?

The book begins with a prelude and is divided into eighteen chapters. Each chapter ends with a motivational quote. The author writes in a simple, eloquent language that flows smoothly. There were many parts of the book where I highlighted some lines that resonated with me. I particularly liked this one:
I have realized that stressing about the perfect choice is not worth the price of an inability to appreciate the moment while it’s actually happening.
Escaping a Life Sentence is an example of what happens when we let fear take over and make our decisions for us. Cornell marries his friend out of fear that he won’t have a place to stay if he doesn’t marry her. He doesn’t stop to think for a bit if there were any other way to handle the situation. The most important question that he doesn’t ask himself is whether he is marrying her out of love, or is he doing it out of convenience.

Do we need to trust God when every direction is full of uncertainties, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel? The author answers this question by dissecting the consequences of his choices and explaining the painful experiences he went through that helped him reconnect with God. I appreciated how the author objectively analyzes his decisions and points out what went wrong and why, without criticizing them. I can take that thinking process and apply it to my life also.

The author doesn’t construct a narrative where he pins the blame for everything going wrong in his marriage on his partner. He also explains how he contributed to the dynamic. Neither does he force his beliefs on you, nor does he try to garner sympathy for enduring the unjust treatment at the hands of other people. He focuses on how he emerged from the challenging times and started listening to his inner voice again.

For someone who was incarcerated wrongly, made unwise choices, and made improvements in his life by trusting God, this short and simple book surely is inspirational. It gives you hope that a new beginning is possible, even if you waver in your faith. All we need to do is trust God.

There is nothing that I dislike about Escaping a Life Sentence. However, I found more than ten grammatical errors, for which I have to lower my rating. I give Escaping a Life Sentence 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the editing issues, it deserves a full rating. There is no profanity or any sexually explicit detail in the book.

It is a warm and reassuring book for anyone who has ever been in an emotionally abusive relationship. People who are going through trying times and feel that God has abandoned them will find this book edifying and comforting.

Escaping A Life Sentence
View: on Bookshelves
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The title of the book caught my attention, initially I thought the book would be on someone trying to fight a wrong accusation. But, the books seems to narrate post that event. The various life lessons that book seems to impart makes it relatable. Thanks for the review.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Wow.. Trusting God in all matters of life is an important lesson from the book.
Your review helped me understand the message the author was passing across even without reading it.
Thanks.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

This quote is really meaningful and the story as a whole seems interesting. I'd like to read the book, as it might offer some wisdom and experience. Thank you for the review; it is clear and now I know what to expect from the book.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very helpful book for those who went through abusive and disheartening relationships. Hopefully the issues you've mentioned above will be fixed soon. Thank you for a great review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

shreyagupta wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 03:54 The title of the book caught my attention, initially I thought the book would be on someone trying to fight a wrong accusation. But, the books seems to narrate post that event. The various life lessons that book seems to impart makes it relatable. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your valuable comment!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Luluwa79 wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 04:56 Wow.. Trusting God in all matters of life is an important lesson from the book.
Your review helped me understand the message the author was passing across even without reading it.
Thanks.
Im glad it did! Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate it.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

SarahShebl wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 05:14 This quote is really meaningful and the story as a whole seems interesting. I'd like to read the book, as it might offer some wisdom and experience. Thank you for the review; it is clear and now I know what to expect from the book.
Wishing you a good reading experience! 🙂
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ellylion wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 05:50 Sounds like a very helpful book for those who went through abusive and disheartening relationships. Hopefully the issues you've mentioned above will be fixed soon. Thank you for a great review!
Thanks for taking the time to read my review and writing a comment.🙂
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

An experience born out of hasty decision. Lessons are sure to be drawn from this book. Thanks for the review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Ify_Reviewer wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:36 An experience born out of hasty decision. Lessons are sure to be drawn from this book. Thanks for the review.
For sure. Thanks for reading the review and commenting. 🙂

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”