Official Review: A Home for Bessie by Jennifer Aicher

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: A Home for Bessie by Jennifer Aicher

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Home for Bessie" by Jennifer Aicher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In A Home for Bessie by Jennifer Aicher, Gabby is a foster child longing for a forever home for herself and her doll. The children's book is written from Gabby's perspective, describing the challenges she faces going from home to home. Bessie is Gabby's treasured possession, and the little girl does her best to create a home for her doll, regardless of where they live. Aicher plans to donate "50% of the profits of this book" to foster agencies.

Aicher writes the emotionally evocative children's story in the first-person narrative from the perspective of Gabby. Recommended for ages preschool through sixth grade, the book addresses relevant topics and themes, such as acceptance, security, love, belonging, disappointment, resourcefulness, rejection, and happiness. It is professionally edited and features colorful illustrations that include a combination of photographs, children's drawings, and digitally enhanced images. Although I read the PDF format, I noticed that the Amazon sample didn't seem to be formatted properly. The several-page layout may turn away some prospective readers.

I especially like the illustrations featuring photographs of a series of dollhouses that Gabby constructed for Bessie from discarded items. The illustrations accompany a heartbreaking portion of the story that describes the little girl's sadness when the foster parent's child repeatedly takes her things, including her crafted dollhouses. Aicher captures how a child might creatively use discarded items, and the little houses come to life through Gabby's imagination. At the end of the book, Aicher explains that she created the dollhouses as part of a recycled art competition.

However, in one instance, the story lacks clarity. After Gabby expresses her frustration about her toys constantly being taken by the other child, several pages include detailed descriptions of her handmade dollhouses. Although the accompanying illustration provides some context, the narrative needs transitional text before abruptly jumping back to the other child again: "Once she saw it, I couldn't use it again." Also, Gabby's use of the word "transparent" seems unrealistic for her age.

I am pleased to rate A Home for Bessie 4 out of 4 stars. Aicher sensitively portrays a foster child's perspective in an age-appropriate manner. I recommend the book to foster children, foster parents, and teachers. It is also an excellent resource for readers interested in learning more about the foster care system.

A Home for Bessie
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Wow, what an emotionally charged book for a child! Despite it being about a weighty topic, I think it's a wonderful book that enables foster children to be able to relate to someone who is going through something similar. It broke my heart to hear about the dollhouses that she constructed for Bessie being taken away. Thank you for the wonderful and thought-provoking review.
Chivdi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chivdi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chivdi »

This looks like a nice book that addresses the plight of children who have been brought up in foster homes. Thank you for the amazing review
Allen Cheque
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allen-cheque.html
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Allen Cheque »

Wow, a children's book about a foster child? I'll def have to check it out. Gabby's character also sounds very formidable. Great review!
Latest Review: Schmooze by Cody Lowry
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

The author did a good job in writing this emotional book and making it easier for all readers. Thanks for the review and summary.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

It seems like a heavily emotional book, that sheds more light on the foster care system. Thanks for your review.
Fabian
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 05:01 Wow, what an emotionally charged book for a child! Despite it being about a weighty topic, I think it's a wonderful book that enables foster children to be able to relate to someone who is going through something similar. It broke my heart to hear about the dollhouses that she constructed for Bessie being taken away. Thank you for the wonderful and thought-provoking review.
The author did an excellent job of handling the topic sensitively. Thanks for your comment, Stephanie.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Chivdi wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 05:16 This looks like a nice book that addresses the plight of children who have been brought up in foster homes. Thank you for the amazing review
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Allen Cheque wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 05:41 Wow, a children's book about a foster child? I'll def have to check it out. Gabby's character also sounds very formidable. Great review!
Thank you, Allen. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Luluwa79 wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 05:48 The author did a good job in writing this emotional book and making it easier for all readers. Thanks for the review and summary.
Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

FABIAN_BATS wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 06:25 It seems like a heavily emotional book, that sheds more light on the foster care system. Thanks for your review.
You're welcome. Thanks for commenting.
Croc_81
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-croc-81.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Croc_81 »

I once read a book on a girl in foster care that sounds almost similar- quite emotional, quite heartbreaking, but all around beautiful. It sounds as if the emotional content in this one is the same! Thank you for the review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Croc_81 wrote: 15 Sep 2020, 19:15 I once read a book on a girl in foster care that sounds almost similar- quite emotional, quite heartbreaking, but all around beautiful. It sounds as if the emotional content in this one is the same! Thank you for the review.
Thanks for your comment.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Kids have emotions too. Having a book that helps them feel their emotions great. Thanks for the review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I appreciate the author for having penned this book down, it's not everyday that one comes across a book for children about foster children. Lovely review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Children's Books”