Official Review: Hooyah 2 by Pat Riot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Hooyah 2 by Pat Riot

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hooyah 2" by Pat Riot.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

HOOYAH 2 More Manly Tales of Epic Navy SEAL Awesomeness is a comedy adventure by Pat Riot. It details how Pat Riot, real name Bruce Allen Michael Freeman AKA BAMF trained with the elite Navy SEAL team to become the most elite and awesome SEAL of them all.

Most of BAMF’s team admired him, but he and Robert Robertson, AKA Bobertson, clashed from the beginning of their time serving together. Bobertson made the mistake of clinging to BAMF’s leg and trying to slow him down during a training exercise in a shark-filled ocean. This was the first of many humiliating and painful moments for Bobertson, who spends his time thereafter trying to find ways to get revenge on BAMF.

I give HOOYAH 2 three out of four stars. I think that the book was professionally edited. There were a few minor errors that did not detract from the overall reading experience. The book was well-written, and the story flowed well. However, there were times when the jokes simply didn’t land for me.

Although the jokes didn’t always land, there was really nothing that I disliked about the book. I found it refreshing to enjoy a story packed with ridiculous, hyperviolent slapstick sending up the hypermasculinity of the action genre. The only female character in the story wasn’t really a character in the story. The hypermasculine SEAL team enjoyed watching G.I. Jane because they found the idea of a woman in the military comical.

The Islamic terrorists are caricatures who are killed in ridiculous fashions such as the BGK or Bad Guy Kabob, which involves skewering a row of villains with the collapsible trident that all SEALS carry. As BAMF says of the Bad Guy Kabob, “few SEALs, in their entire careers, get to see one attempted let alone make one themselves.”

Most of the SEALs are conservative, Christian white men with lean, muscular builds. Commander Mac is “a large black man, hailing from the southern border of Texas. He had a deep, thick Texas drawl, and he did not tolerate weakness.” Instructor Romero “hailed from one of the Mexican countries south of our southern border. He was only 5’9 but a solid bundle of muscle, brains, and tacos.”

It is nearly impossible to kill a SEAL, especially if they have duct tape on hand, which they always do. One of their mottos is “duck it up and suck it up.” BAMF repairs his own broken legs with duct tape, and the team use duct tape to put the severed halves of a companion’s body back together during a battle.

Overall, I had fun reading HOOYAH 2. The humor is crude, off-color, and deliberately offensive. It utilizes stereotypes in a hyperbolic fashion for the purpose of ridiculing those stereotypes. Those who prefer more refined and politically correct humor will not enjoy this book.

Hooyah 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a great read for those with a crude sense of humor. Not sure how I feel about the way they talked about "G.I Jane," though. I think I will pass on this one, but your review is perfect; thanks!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sometimes one just wants something crude and wholly cliched to read, I guess. I might check this out later.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

"It utilizes stereotypes in a hyperbolic fashion for the purpose of ridiculing those stereotypes." This piqued my interest in this book. Nice review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Thanks for the review but I think I will pass. My sense of humor is quiet awkward. I might go through the entire book without finding anything funny.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Okay my bar for jokes is pretty low so the duck it up thing was pretty funny to me lol. The name of the book seems really funny as well. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”