Review by Rwill0988 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Review by Rwill0988 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Rwill0988 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Escape into an amazing fantasy world in Matthew Tysz’s We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies. The first novel in the We are Voulhire series switches between different points of view so the reader has an opportunity to learn about a wide range of characters, their relationships with each other and the various settings.

King Wilhelm has appointed Eldus Alderman to be lord of Hillport and to watch over the traitor Lord Meldorath. Hillport has had several unfit lords, and it is time they begin to build their community. Eldus, a just and determined man, will do everything in his power to help the people of Hillport. Lord Meldorath, an ex-general and powerful biomage, has been exiled.

The reader also meets Galen Bray. Galen heads to Magnum Caelum to collect his inheritance. He is eager to start a new life and tends to easily trust those he meets. He finds Rowan, the executor of Galen’s great uncle’s will, and befriends him. Rowan teachers Galen about Voulhire and encourage him to take risks.

There are enemies and fair-weather friends abound in this book. There is magic, family, friendships and death.

Some of you are thinking whoa information overload. While it might seem that way, it is not. Tysz does a tremendous job weaving character and setting descriptions into the story. His character Beth says it best, “This is a world where change didn’t just come at the snap of a finger; change had to be worked for, had to be planned and properly executed.” The detail and care Tysz put into this work seep through the pages. I would easily give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars.

There were so many wonderful aspects of this book. I had a hard time picking a favorite part. I enjoyed reading about Eldus Alderman and his family. The relationship between Eldus and his son Marshus was complex and realistic. It was interesting to see how Marshus’ tone and personality changed when he was interacting with his sister, Isla. The whole family clearly wanted to help the people of Hillport. I found myself rooting for their success.

This book has a lot of wonderful quotes and metaphors. The best metaphor in the book was the explanation of the world of magic, Caromentis, using rock paper scissors. Different fantasy novels deal with magic differently, this description clarified the various levels of magic and their destructive powers.

The only aspect of this book that irked me was the overuse of ellipsis. The ellipsis usually tells me something has been left out. When a character has these in their speech, I assume they have thought something that hasn’t been said aloud. However, I do not think a narrator should have these and definitely not at the rate that occurred in the novel.

I would recommend this to readers who enjoy fantasy novels and stories that develop a world. This story doesn’t focus on one character's triumphs but rather on the progress or regression of Voulhire. Other than the ellipsis issues, there were few editing issues that reduced the readability of the book. There is also very little erotic content. Not only will I recommend people read this book, but I am also eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Nice review. I also feel bad for the Aldermans, three died horribly and one alive. But with the guilt weighing down on him, Marshus doesn't seem to have a very nice life later either.
Teletha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teletha.html
Latest Review: Viking Blood and Blade by Peter Gibbons

Post by Teletha »

@Sou Hi I haven't read/finished the future installments of this series but I feel like Marshus will reappear in due time. I was rooting for their family but we know what happened. I have hope for Marshus.
Last edited by Teletha on 07 Sep 2020, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel, and now I really want to go on with its sequels when I find the time, so I agree with your positive judgment. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

“The best metaphor in the book was the explanation of the world of magic, Caromentis, using rock paper scissors.”
That sounds clever indeed!

Thank you for a great review. I loved reading your take on this one.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Just like you, I also have read and review this book; I gave it a perfect rating of four out of four stars.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Great book with unique elements that makes it original. I loved it! Great review!
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:

Post by Rwill0988 »

Sou Hi wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 21:50 Nice review. I also feel bad for the Aldermans, three died horribly and one alive. But with the guilt weighing down on him, Marshus doesn't seem to have a very nice life later either.
Eldus was my favourite character in this story and what happened to him was awful. I look forward to seeing how Marshus changes, or doesn't change, because of it. Thanks for comment. :)
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:

Post by Rwill0988 »

NetMassimo wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 10:37 I read this novel, and now I really want to go on with its sequels when I find the time, so I agree with your positive judgment. Thank you for your great review!
I'm glad you agreed with the review. I'm also looking forward to reading the next installments when I get the chance.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:

Post by Rwill0988 »

MsH2k wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 00:07 “The best metaphor in the book was the explanation of the world of magic, Caromentis, using rock paper scissors.”

There were definitely some fantastics metaphors (too many to list in the review). I am glad you liked my take on the book. Is it one you have read (or one you might read in the future)?
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:

Post by Rwill0988 »

aaurba wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 01:48 Just like you, I also have read and review this book; I gave it a perfect rating of four out of four stars.

It definitely deserves the rating. Are you going to read the next parts in the series?
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:

Post by Rwill0988 »

Tonika632 wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 12:07 Great book with unique elements that makes it original. I loved it! Great review!
Thank you for your comment. I agree having so many unique elements made this book a really enjoyable read.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Rwill0988 wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 21:31
MsH2k wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 00:07 “The best metaphor in the book was the explanation of the world of magic, Caromentis, using rock paper scissors.”

There were definitely some fantastics metaphors (too many to list in the review). I am glad you liked my take on the book. Is it one you have read (or one you might read in the future)?
Fantasy isn’t my genre of choice, and I don’t read many series, so I think I’ll enjoy Voulhire vicariously through all the great reviews. I hope you enjoy The Fires of Virko!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Nice review. Yeah, I too felt the Aldermans fate was shocking. I think Marshus still has a role to play in the sequels.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Having read this book, I must say that I agree with your analysis of it. I also enjoyed reading your detailed and engaging review. Good job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”