Official Review: Finding Fred da Silva by Ferdi Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Official Review: Finding Fred da Silva by Ferdi Wheeler

Post by Chipochashe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Fred da Silva" by Ferdi Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter is admitted to the Psychiatric Complex when his friend Isabella calls in his case. The Psychiatric Complex is a poorly run state facility, “a cross between a jail and a badly run hospital” according to Peter. He gets help and is transferred to JJ Erasmus, a private hospital. Henrico, his psychiatrist, tries to get rid of Peter’s friends, Fred da Silva and Baby. Peter, however, does not like this as he likes both Fred and Baby. He has a strong bond especially with Fred and does not like that Henrico wants to get rid of him.

Just over two weeks after Peter’s admission at JJ Erasmus, Henrico manages to get Peter on medication that gets rid of Peter’s friends. Peter is not pleased, but the medication makes him lethargic and he has no inclination towards conversing. He is discharged to a home for schizophrenics so that he recuperates there. However, the patients in this house are left to their own devices and soon Peter is off his medication and mixed up with some dangerous people.

This interesting story about Finding Fred da Silva by Ferdi Wheeler is written in the first person. The language is simple with a few words from South African languages. The book is divided into three parts; each following each place where Peter gets admitted.

The first person point of view from Peter made the story quite interesting. It gave a whole new perspective on mental illness. Peter is aware of his illness - at least to some degree, but it is not a problem as far as he is concerned. At one point Peter wonders why he is considered mentally ill and yet some preachers claim to have been talking to God but are considered sane. Fred and Baby are very real to him. They are his friends and he sees no need to get rid of them. His meetings and conversations with these two characters are quite interesting. Peter’s interaction with and perception of other patients is also quite interesting and at times humorous.

I mostly enjoyed this book, but I was disappointed by a large number of both grammatical and typographical errors. I am inclined to think that this is the author’s first manuscript and is yet to be professionally edited. There was also inconsistency in formatting the titles, that is, the first part is titled Part One and the second is titled Part II. Also, the first few lines of a new chapter start at the bottom of a page instead of the top of a new page. There are also a few instances of profanity and some blunt descriptions of partial nudity.

This book will make an excellent read after professional editing. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers of fiction who are interested in mental illness. I recommend the book for adults because of the sensitive nature of mental illnesses.

Finding Fred da Silva
View: on Bookshelves
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

Based only on this review, it seems that the book provides an interesting story about schizophrenia. I am a little doubtful if the depiction of the hallucinations of the character is realistic. Hopefully, it is.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Despite the errors in the book, it truly sounds interesting. I think I might enjoy reading it. Thanks for the detailed review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

It took me a while to figure out that Fred and Baby are works Peter's imagination.🤦🏻‍♀️ This must be a really interesting book. I'd definitely like to try it out.
Nice review.
Live and let live, baby.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

dm1971 wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 01:50 Based only on this review, it seems that the book provides an interesting story about schizophrenia. I am a little doubtful if the depiction of the hallucinations of the character is realistic. Hopefully, it is.
It is interesting. Thanks for commenting Dm1971.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Nqobile771 wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 05:20 Despite the errors in the book, it truly sounds interesting. I think I might enjoy reading it. Thanks for the detailed review.
You are welcome Nqobile. Thanks for commenting.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 05:24 It took me a while to figure out that Fred and Baby are works Peter's imagination.🤦🏻‍♀️ This must be a really interesting book. I'd definitely like to try it out.
Nice review.
Enjoy the reading Ann. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”