Official Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Official Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Born To Survive" by Kylie-Anne Evans.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many times have suicidal thoughts crossed your mind? When did you feel as though there is nothing worth fighting for in this world? How many times did you rise only to fall again? Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans is an emotional story of her painful past. I must admit that I have read several moving memories and autobiographies, yet none has ever moved me half as much as this one did. The catharsis that I almost always savour from people's highlights cannot be compared to the tension that characterized this book.

Kylie and her siblings were put under foster care before she turned eight years of age. This was after the authorities found her mother unfit to raise them. What followed was a series of adoption from one foster home to another, where they finally settled with Bob and Ruth. These surrogate parents were everything worse that a parent/guardian could be for kids. They physically assaulted her for any mistake that she made and even went ahead to punish her for those that she did not make. Bob and Ruth failed to support her, when she needed their love and encouragement until she decided to run away.

Kylie's cup of turmoil was not full as yet; she was physically molested and even raped on several occasions in her life. What is worse is that she had no one to entrust this information to. Everyone viewed her as not only a hypocrite but also a liar. She, therefore, bore her tribulations alone, gathered the courage to forge ahead and when it overwhelmed her, she almost resorted to suicide. Why could she not be happy even in marriage? Why did everyone die just when she was beginning to bond with them? What has made her tie a knot and hang on at the end of the tether?

Told from a first-person point of view, the author's narration presents major events that happened in every year of her traumatizing experiences. Every incident is recorded within a certain time span, which is generally one year; the author is currently 44 years of age. Her perspective allowed me to have a first impression of things as they turned out and hence, I was able to fully empathize with her when she considered ending her "useless" life if only to permanently end her woes.

What I really liked about this book is the realistic approach with which it has been written. The author did not waste time trying to paint a different picture about herself but went straight ahead to show us what she is really made of. Thus, I found her use of curse words and obscenities very appropriate and relevant. She justified the relevance of the book's title; I saw a fighter, survivor and victor in her spirits.

It is sad that this amazing book is filled with plenty of grammatical mistakes, which detracted from my reading experience. It is not edited professionally. There is also a random use of mixed case letters, which needs to be corrected. I, therefore, award this book three out of four stars. I recommend it to everyone who seeks solace in other people's stories. Patients of severe depression my also find this book as a useful therapeutic read.

Born To Survive
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bet on Me! :idea:
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

This sounds like an interesting story that most people can relate to. Nice review.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

It is sad that people like Bob and Ruth never miss.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I can relate to the questions you presented in the first paragraph. It's an excellent way to start a review. This book seems hopeful but also features some heavy themes.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Very heartbreaking book, not for the faint hearted. The author must have gone through a lot, have enjoyed reading your review, especially the introduction. Keep it up pal
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I love your review. The book also sounds interesting.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

Actually, everyone was born to survive but I like how the author encouraged readers during trying times.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This book review has me thinking of the times I might have peradventure, come across someone suffering such (or any kind of) terrible predicament. Did I show some kindness, even if it was the most insignificant kind act? Or did I add to the person's misery and hopelessness? What about the times when I found myself bereft of the strength to even open my eyes? This is indeed a beautiful and amazing review.

I'd definitely pick up this book at the first chance I get. I admire the presence of a strong female protagonist who in this case is not a work of fiction. Everyone is born to survive.
Live and let live, baby.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Sounds the author's life is full of turmoil. It will be a good read. Thank you for the introduction.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

This book might be my cup of tea. I love reading about people struggling through the life but pushing forward regardless. Wonderful review!
Mom 215731
Favorite Book: Innocent Victims
Currently Reading: Kansas City Cover-Up
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom-215731.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mom 215731 »

This book sounds very interesting. It is one I will definitely add to my shelf and read soon. Thanks for the review!
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

Born to Survive, I love the name as well. Very uplifting. Such a tramatic life story and a good review of the book.
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

The story seems very inspiring. I'm really intrigued by people's ability to overcome life's struggles. Nice, detailed review.
Daisy Cheruto
Currently Reading: Amora
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Daisy Cheruto »

The name of the book really moved me. I hate the fact that Ruth and Bob never supported Kylie more so when she needed them the most. Good review
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

when she considered ending her "useless" life if only to permanently end her woes.
It's commendable how the author was able to come back from this. Nice one, Kanda.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”