Review by Ed Emmanuel -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ed Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ed-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Ed Emmanuel -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Ed Emmanuel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A fascinating science fiction, and fantasy novel. This is one of the series by Matthew Tysz. The story revolves around Galen Bray, who living in his hometown became a living hell. So, he had to move to Voulhire. The journey of moving from the Lands of the Princes to Voulhire, was quite a stressful one. Even though, Galen took that as the price to pay for a better life.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a book about Galen, who came from the Lands of the Princes. He made a decision to move to Voulhire. Galen had to make this decision to save himself, because the Lands of the Princes was going through a lot of war. Also, after receiving a letter and papers from his uncle, it was quite easy for him to get into the boat, and migrate into a more peaceful place. The Lands of the Princes, was one that either you were killed by the sword, or by starvation. The story unveils as Galen moves into Voulhire. A new world is unveiled, full of magic, and political tussles. In the midst of all these, Galen is welcomed with a new lifestyle with promising opportunities. He has to take over what was owned by his dead uncle. Galen inherited a house of his own, and a business that his uncle started. The other part of the story, discussed the town called Hillport, and how it has been threatened by bad leaders, the likes of Lord Orlin, and Lord Meldorath. Both leaders made the town unsafe, with the kind of lifestyle they lived, but they were no more. Now, the king had to send Lord Eldus to restore order, and make Hillport safe again. Did Lord Eldus succeed with that?

The protagonist in this book was Galen, and the story enlightens the reader with the kingdom of Voulhire, the cities, and how they worked. Also, the political atmosphere and plot, the judicial structure and men who manipulated just to gain power. The author explained how Voulhire, has been ruled from its existence till the most recent king. Giving a background study of the first king, Saint Idus, and how he was the holy founder, and first king of Voulhire down to the present king, Wilhelm Acolo. He also explained, how magical powers were misused by some men. The story of the old man at the courthouse, and the mysterious things he did, from the judge to the bailiff, the guards, and the people in the courtroom caught my attention and was quite interesting to read. It further explained the lifestyle of the religious leaders.

The book was written based on different character development, but the author did an excellent job by driving the characters home. Being a work of fiction, I applaud the authors imaginative ability. The way he described events that took place. Events like the one at Hillport, a town in Voulhire. Also, the celebration of the feast of human hands. The way different towns of Voulhire got explained, there geographical descriptions, made me enjoy reading the book. It was easy to understand, as they were explained perfectly. The parts of the book that dealt with Galen, he made conversational. This made it straightforward to imagine. The other part that dealt with the other characters, the author explained thoroughly, and that helped me feel really close to the characters.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. I like the way the author explained the political atmosphere, the trust the king had, and how some of his friends tried to betray him. The book was professionally edited. Considering all these, I wholeheartedly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to the lovers of science fiction, fantasy books, and also to the lovers of political atmospheres. However, this book may not be suitable for children because of some level of profanity, and obscenity.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I've read the book and loved it! The we are Voulhire series is indeed addicting.
Ed Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ed-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ed Emmanuel »

adhambakry wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 12:36 Thanks for the review! I've read the book and loved it! The we are Voulhire series is indeed addicting.
Sure it is. Thank you for the reply.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”