Official Review: Brothas from Anotha Motha

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Official Review: Brothas from Anotha Motha

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brothas from Anotha Motha" by Timothy "TBone" Hicks.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reader, I don’t read many books like Timothy “TBone” Hicks’ Brothas from Anotha Motha. They’re not really my kind of style and the way they portray women tends to make me mad inside. That being said, I did give this book a chance and I was really very entertained.

Somehow, I think that’s what matters here, enough so that I gave it 3 out of 4 stars.

Brothas from Anotha Motha is the story of Rick McMillan and Jason Hill, and their crew of young men in Oakland, California. The book takes place over a year as they sell dope, have sex, and generally commit a variety of crimes during that time. When rival “OG” Ben-Killa comes home to a dead nephew, it starts a war that takes up most of the book’s short page count. The climax is bloody and dramatic, what happens well worth reading the book to find out.

Reading the synopsis, I wasn’t hesitant at all to read this book and that paid off. It’s a quick read and the characters are stoic and emotional in turns, making an investment in them easy. I liked that, despite the narrative using the language of the streets, I was still able to understand and follow the action. Many mistakes can stem from this, but Hicks knows how to balance street talk and a storytelling persona to get the best out of both.

I also really liked the way Hicks managed to balance his cast without making them feel underdeveloped. The main characters, Rick and Jason, were front and centre but there was also room for characters like Little Vick to get their own time to shine. It was pretty fun to see Vick fall in love while trying to maintain his street persona, as was seeing KP’s reunion with his father. It showed a softer, contrasting side to each character that made them easier to like when faced with their reprehensible acts.

The book’s take on masculinity was interesting to me as well. Given the hyper-masculine nature of the subject matter, I did not expect it to embrace these men’s softer sides. That it did was both refreshing and wonderful amidst the violence, sex and profanity that permeates the novel. Hicks peppers the pages with a lot of swearing and several explicit sex scenes, so the emotional part of the novel tempers those quite a bit as well.

However, I will say that the sex and profanity were a bit too much for my tastes. It felt like every chapter had a sex scene and the amount of swearing made me raise my eyebrows. While I understand that this is written from the author’s experiences, it was a bit hard for me to read sometimes. I’m surprised that I got through the book as quickly as I did because it was a lot. Though, this is more a matter of personal preference than any real flaw of the novel.

Hicks has a gift for words. He knows how to tell a story and he knows how to tell it well. While the book could use some editing for grammatical errors, it’s mostly technical stuff. I’d recommend it to folks who love gangster stories because it’s worth the read. However, it’s not for the faint of heart or children due to the proliferation of sex, violence and profanity.

Brothas from Anotha Motha
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I love when we read outside our comfort zone and end up being surprised by it. You did an excellent job with outlining the good and the bad aspects of this book. It sounds really interesting.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

Themes of sex and violence are generally not for me. You mentioned that a softer side of some of the characters was shown in the book contrasting with the hard masculine view of the protagonists; such a take brings the book closer to what I can read. From the review, the book is a maybe for me. Excellent summary!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 04:22 I love when we read outside our comfort zone and end up being surprised by it. You did an excellent job with outlining the good and the bad aspects of this book. It sounds really interesting.
Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Kevivas03 wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 05:16 Themes of sex and violence are generally not for me. You mentioned that a softer side of some of the characters was shown in the book contrasting with the hard masculine view of the protagonists; such a take brings the book closer to what I can read. From the review, the book is a maybe for me. Excellent summary!
Thank you!
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This book appears to be quite the wild ride. I might take it up, who knows.

Your summary was really interesting. Thank you.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Christieee wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 09:10 This book appears to be quite the wild ride. I might take it up, who knows.

Your summary was really interesting. Thank you.
Thanks!
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Hicks portraying the soft side of the characters manages the gangster feeling created by the book.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Nice Summary, and a wonderful review. This book though not my kind looks like an interesting read. A story that has hyper masculine characters falling in love, and feeling sad at the loss of another is one that intrigues me. I would really love to see the outcome of the war between Ben Killa and his rival, and how love may have made Vick a softer and more emotional man.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

The_Vivian wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 11:42 Nice Summary, and a wonderful review. This book though not my kind looks like an interesting read. A story that has hyper masculine characters falling in love, and feeling sad at the loss of another is one that intrigues me. I would really love to see the outcome of the war between Ben Killa and his rival, and how love may have made Vick a softer and more emotional man.
Not too soft, mind you, but yes, it does happen. And thanks!
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Have never read such books too but as you did, I would also give this one a chance, thanks for the enlightenment.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Phelicia Gloria wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 16:58 Have never read such books too but as you did, I would also give this one a chance, thanks for the enlightenment.
I hope you enjoy it.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

For some reason, this book sounds like it should be turned into a film script! Thank you for such a detailed and informative review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

LinaJan wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 07:29 For some reason, this book sounds like it should be turned into a film script! Thank you for such a detailed and informative review!
Thank you. And yes! I do think it would work very well on film.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”