Official Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Changed" by Vicki Stiefel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Changed is book two in the Made Ones Saga and takes place in a wonderful fantasy world dreamed up by Vicki Stiefel. We briefly meet Breena and Gato in Altered and are now treated to a book dedicated to their romance and challenges. Like her sister in the prior novel, Bree is reborn on the planet of Eleutia and is taken under the protection of the Cat Clan Alpha, Gato. While remade with a younger and healthier body, Bree still retains some of her inner demons from her prior life. Likewise, Gato must deal with a deep secret he has been hiding as the Alchemic Clan holds the life of his brother over his head.

Changed does more than pick up where Altered left off; for a while, the two books parallel each other, showing the same events from a different perspective. The reader is still a party to the efforts of the Wolf Clan to discover why the female birthrate has been plummeting on Eleutia. We also get more glimpses into the whereabouts of the third sister and a broader understanding of the nefarious plans of the Alchemic Clan.

Stiefel does an artful job dovetailing the two stories, making me wish I had read the two books in quick succession to catch all of the nuances of the synchronization. Gato was presented in such an antagonistic light in the prior novel, and I was thoroughly impressed by the fluid way the author justified his behavior and demonstrated his true character in this sequel. Bree is written as a strong woman with a mouth that could make a sailor blush, making it obvious that she isn’t a cookie-cutter copy of her sister.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the superb level of world-building I’ve come to expect from Vicki Stiefel, aspects of Changed seemed a bit rushed. There were a few scenes that appeared to come out of left field, leaving me to wonder what precipitated the overly sudden turmoil. I also noticed more than a handful of typos and a few issues that seemed to come from a rush to meet a deadline. Knowing the care that this author takes in her work, I’m certain that they will be addressed in a subsequent release. These issues did not diminish my enjoyment of this novel.

There is only one thing better than finding a book that allows you to completely lose yourself in its pages: Finding out that it is the first in a series. Changed immerses you in the same wonderful world of Eleutia, full of symbionts, strong heroines, and intrigue. And yes, there are still flying horses. While the characters are different, the same thread of mystery is woven throughout the book. My fingers are itching to get a copy of the third book so I can meet the last sister and find out how the clans will overcome the obstacles placed in their path by the Alchemics. Much like Altered, lovers of romance and fantasy will devour this book with glee. This was another thoroughly enjoyable book by Vicki Stiefel, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Once the grammatical errors are addressed, it will easily garner a perfect score.

Changed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

I would like to point out that though this book is essentially a fantasy, the book mentions a very serious issue - decrease in female birthrate. Reading about a strong female protagonist is always fun. Thanks for the review.
jeweljavonne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jeweljavonne »

I like how everything is detailed! You never have to ask a question about a character or setting because it's already mentioned/ explained for you when you read on. All of the details draw you more in and curious to read on about what happens. I also like how there is emotion speaking out consistently. The kind of empathy that is in this book through characters and words is somewhat mesmerizing and beautiful.
Last edited by jeweljavonne on 07 Sep 2020, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I’m a huge fan of fantasy novels, and this one is no different. I will absolutely love to see the adventures of Bree and Gato. Let’s not forget... their romance too!
Rize_99
Currently Reading: We Are the Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rize-99.html
Latest Review: First Love by Momi Robins

Post by Rize_99 »

The book seems to be an exciting read, as I am a lover of fantasy, this one is definitely on my reading list. Thanks for your review.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

This seems to be exactly my kind of book! I absolutely love the plot and the review. I am adding it to my TBR!
ExiledKami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-exiledkami.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by ExiledKami »

I am a huge fan of fantasy novels and based on your review, I am convinced that I won't regret indulging in this. I am definitely adding this book series to my reading list.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

This is my kind of fantasy world :) And, if the characters are well developed - and it sounds like they are - I cannot ask for more!
Thank you for such an informative and inviting review :)
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Wolf clan must have found out the cause of the plunge in female birthrate in Eleutia.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

A book full of mysteries and fantasy is a great book for readers. Thanks for the review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Superb world-building is important to fantasy. Nice review
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

An intense fantasy world novel with romance is undoubtedly something that I'd enjoy! Your review described the premise of the book beautifully and it definitely makes me want to read it. Thank you for the amazing review!
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

I guess I'll start by reading Altered, then proceed to this one. Strangely, even though I've read neither of the books, I still share in your anticipation. Amazing review.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

I guess I need to read the prior books to get a glimpse of this one. All the same, I have enjoyed your review. The author is indeed creative to create such powerful imaginative worlds.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I placed this on my want to read bookshelf. I like how you were objective and able to show the parallels of the two books.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”