Official Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: Superbugs by Tayma Tameem

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Superbugs" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever pondered on what life might look like after the world is struck by an incurable pandemic? Do we end up with virus-worshipping fanatics? A world without free will and with human experimentation involving babies? A world led by power-hungry people plotting against each other and rife with violence? Such life exists in the year 2090, as presented by Tayma Tameem in Superbugs.

It is 2090, and the world is in chaos after it is struck by a deadly coronavirus. A lot of things have changed, and there is little or no compassion anywhere in the world. The lives of seven unrelated, but somehow connected, persons (each a piece in a puzzle) are explored. Lily Brayburn, a community leader, rescues Mabel, a pregnant prison escapee. Their lives become connected, but a threat facing them both changes their lives forever. Victor Stark—a cure-finder tired of being the Angel of Death—assists another prisoner, dubbed 11.22, with an escape plan. Gloria Van Leuven and Lupita Loera are powerful women locked in a power tussle, and Clarke Damon is an epidemiologist who gets tangled in a web of violence.

Amid the stark reality of violence, deception, maltreatment, and plotting, a great friendship and trust, however, brews between two women. These women possess admirable strength. Also, despite the growing power tussle in society, certain groups of people show comradeship and survive a test of togetherness. These people—driven by purpose, passion, and conscience—provide examples that even in darkness, one can be the light that shines.

I appreciate how exceptionally well-written this book is. The author takes the reader on a profound journey with interesting and relatable characters. I like that this book exudes much passion, and the brilliant use of humor and the play on words also make the book an interesting read. The writing style is quite terrific; it sucks the reader in and brings the characters to life. However, I find the ending rather rushed, unlike the pace of the other parts of the novel. There are several themes portrayed in the book, but the overarching plot appears lean and was not efficiently resolved.

Notwithstanding, I assign this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. With regard to the story, the title does not seem fitting, but this may be because this is the first in a series. Although it is a fascinating book to read, the ending was not spectacular. It lacked the thrill of a cliffhanger. This book is well-edited and has complex sentence structures. Vulgar expressions and words are absent from the book, but there are few violent scenes, which may make it unsuitable for a younger audience. Aside from this, Superbugs is an exciting read I would recommend for sci-fi enthusiasts.

Moderator Note: The book can be purchased here: https://alkeytab.com/product/superbugs/

Superbugs
View: on Bookshelves
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I'm a big fan of the sci-fi genre. The book seems engaging, I might give it a try!
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! I'm a big fan of the science-fiction genre, I might give this book a try.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an interesting book with some great characters. It’s a pity about the issues with the plot that you mentioned. Thank you for the great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I want to read a novel about a pandemic right now, but this one seems intriguing and engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The cover page of the novel caught my attention. I would love to know author's thought process behind it. Thanks for a great review
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html

Post by Tablito »

At least there are people that pass a test of togetherness amid a powerhungry society.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I loved your review, it has really made me want to read this book. Thanks a lot for the well-detailed review. Kudos.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever pondered on what life might look like after the world is struck by an incurable pandemic? Do we end up with virus-worshipping fanatics? A world without free will and with human experimentation involving babies? A world led by power-hungry people plotting against each other and rife with violence? Such life exists in the year 2090, as presented by Tayma Tameem in Superbugs.
Was this written before the current pandemic? If so, I'm scared. Anyway, we are living one, so I don't see the point in torturing myself further.
But I enjoyed how concise and compelling your review was. Thanks!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It seems like this is a perfect read for sci-fi readers. I am not in the mood to read a book about pandemic it seems way too realistic for me, and not something I look forward to in fiction right now.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Books like these really do not interest me. So I think I will give this one a pass.
I_is_Hecate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-is-hecate.html
Latest Review: The Girl in the mural by Iris

Post by I_is_Hecate »

This book has definitely come out at the right time! They say that literature largely reflects the society during the time of its' publication. Very excited to read this one.
IniMini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inimini.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by IniMini »

I have to say that the title didn't really attract me, but reading your review I definitely changed my mind. It sounds like a Dark Angel sort of world, with a pinch of actuality.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

Thanks for the wonderdul review but i don't think i would really enjoy reading this book.
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

It's very interesting, and somewhat frightening to read about the virus but in such terms. The review is well written and give a good perspective on free will and chaos portrayed in this sci-fi story.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”