Official Review: Hooyah by Pat Riot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Hooyah by Pat Riot

Post by Twylla »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hooyah" by Pat Riot.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hooyah: An Elite Navy SEAL Operator's Autobiographical Account of Heroism, Sacrifice, and Even More Heroism by Pat Riot is a satirical story of a Navy SEAL. The first sentence of the book is the author's over-the-top description of himself. “Commando, champion, warrior, hero, legend...” He warns readers that they could never measure up to his manly and epic qualities. “This book, Hooyah, is my effort to pass on my awe-inspiring leadership wisdom to the next generation of SEALs and regular people. You’re welcome.” And the outrageous bravado continues for another 177 pages.

I selected Hooyah expecting to read a serious autobiography of a Navy SEAL. When I first started reading the book, I was so offended by Pat Riot, I put it down and walked away. Then I realized this has got to be a satire. Then I felt like a horrible person for laughing at the Navy SEALs. But it's okay. You have permission to laugh.

Pat Riot is a character created in this book. He is not only a patriot (Pat Riot), he is an arrogant SOB who thinks he knows everything. According to Pat, the Rocky Mountains were named after the famous Italian boxer, Rocky Balboa. Before killing a terrorist or any type of predator, Pat Riot always rips off a clever one-liner that is sure to make his whole team laugh because Navy SEALs are known for their hilarious sense of humor. Pat is so amazing he can “will himself” out of a concussion or “will himself “ warm out of hypothermia.

Pat Riot could not reveal the super-secret tactics that make the SEALs so lethal. Their interrogation and communication methods are super-secret. All of the weapons in their arsenal are super-secret. Leadership training is super-secret. The hand signals they use are super-secret. They even have super-secret techniques to aim better and shoot more effectively.

The only thing I didn’t like about the book was that, even in jest, some of the insults went a little too far. “Arabic looks like retarded graffiti.” “Speak a real language like English.” “I prayed to the (correct) Christian God.” Behave, Pat Riot!

I learned that “Hooyah” is not only the Navy's battle cry, it is also a noun and an adjective. For example, “I channeled my inner Hooyah and marched the 2.8 miles.” “You may be the most Hooyah BUDS candidate I have ever seen.” A thumbs-up in SEAL-speak also means “Hooyah.”

I found a couple of minor typos, but the book was professionally edited and very well-written. The target audience for Hooyah is probably 13-year-old boys, anyone who thinks peeing your pants is funny, and people with freakishly high levels of testosterone in their body. This book is insensitive to Muslims, homosexuals, and every branch of the military other than the Navy SEALs. But that is the whole point. Mission accomplished. I am giving Hooyah a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Hooyah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

It seems like everything about the Navy SEALs is top secret.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

While this isn't normally the type of book I would choose, I love the main character's sense of humor, and find myself wanting to read the book. Thanks for the thought-provoking review.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

Pat Riot sounds like an entertaining narrator! What a fun character. Nice review :)
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I was curious about the title of this book and by reading your review I think I would really enjoy it, since I love satire! Nice one :)
Bookworm101520
Currently Reading: Dead Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm101520.html
Latest Review: Crooked Creek: A Comedy about Writer's Block and a Neurotic Home Owners Association by Fredrick Robertson

Post by Bookworm101520 »

I would never pick up this book based on the title, but your review convinced me! I need to see if I can find anything super-secret in here. Thanks for a fantastic review!
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I loved your review, it has really made me want to read this book. Thanks a lot for the well-detailed review. Kudos.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”