Official Review: The Curse of Culy Calhoun by E. Townsend

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Official Review: The Curse of Culy Calhoun by E. Townsend

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curse of Culy Calhoun" by E. Townsend.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Curse of Curly Calhoun by E. Townsend is a book of about 52 pages that centers on two siblings, Mark and Alan. As they did every summer, they set out to visit their Grandpa’s ranch, which was about five hundred and eighty acres of green farmland, and which contained a farmhouse.

Each day at their Grandpa’s ranch, they ate healthy meals and had lots of adventures like horse riding and grocery shopping. However, Mark and Alan felt these were too usual, and they yearned to experience something out of this world. Spearheaded by Alan, they decided to visit a cave. Undeterred by the fact that their Grandpa told them not to visit the cave because it had a strange story of a man, Calhoun, surrounding it, they are determined to bring their desire to fruition. This would either make them have a fulfilled holiday or spend the rest of their holiday living in regret.

All the characters in this book are lovable. From Miguel, who is Grandpa’s ranch hand, to Grandpa who is known for his amazing meals, but who's regarded as old-fashioned by Alan. Alan saw him as old-fashioned because he was not comfortable with the length Mark and Alan’s hair had grown. He subsequently took them to a barber who gave them a haircut they were not comfortable with. One does not even need to try hard to love the smart, inquisitive, and funny Mark and Alan.

This book can teach readers, especially children, the value of persistence. This is from the scene where Alan fell out from his horse, Stormcat. Determined to ride on it, he got back on, and his Grandpa said, “I think it’s a sound idea to always get right back on if you fall off. That way, you learn.”

The length of the book is just enough to keep readers enthralled. Except for the errors present in the book, which could make it need another round of editing, the book was exceptionally written. Because of these errors, I’m giving this book a rating of three out of four stars.

What I loved most about the book are my favourite characters, Alan and Mark. This is so because they brought life to the book. On the other hand, there’s nothing I disliked about the book.

As it should be expected in books like this, it contains no vulgar word and erotic scenes. Children and lovers of adventures will appreciate this book, and I recommend it to them.

The Curse of Culy Calhoun
View: on Bookshelves
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

I like adventures, and this book sounds like an adventure by two admirable, little daredevils. I'd definitely love to join them on this one.
Nice review, I was smiling by the end of it😄.
Live and let live, baby.
Ebby Brown
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebby-brown.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ebby Brown »

Sounds like an adventurous book, I'll definitely add it to my reading list. Nice review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I understand the generation gap. I have seen examples of grandmas trying to mend their nieces and nephews' torn jeans. Grandmas don't know that's fashion, they just want to help the kids in fixing their ruined clothes :D.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I love children's books. They transport us into a world of harmless adventure and fun. This seems like that kind of book. Thanks for the great review!
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

Mark and Alan must be funny characters given that they are forced by their grandpa to have their hair cut.
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Sounds like an engaging adventurous story for children. Great review.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

What are interesting review I really love children books and my nephew would really appreciate if I get this for him.
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I want a taste of Grandpa's meal 😄 Nice review.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Such a lovely and cool Grandpa to hang out with. Thanks for the lovely review and recommendation.

Return to “Children's Books”