Official Review: Swearing Off Stars by Danielle Wong

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Official Review: Swearing Off Stars by Danielle Wong

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Swearing Off Stars" by Danielle Wong.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Swearing Off Stars, written by Danielle Wong, is a historical romance novel set in the early 20th century. It centers on two young women, following their lives from 1920 through approximately 1950 and chronicling their adventures, their struggles, and their feelings for one another.

Amelia “Lia” Cole, an American university student, travels to Oxford in 1920 to study. There she meets Scarlett Daniels, a fashionable, independent young actress who gets Lia involved in the women’s movement and introduces Lia to her close-knit group of friends. The two become inseparable, first as friends, then as confidantes, and finally as something more. But in 1920s Britain, a relationship such as theirs must be a closely guarded secret. Forced to live double lives, neither of them is truly happy, and so Lia and Scarlett are faced with an impossible decision: either to fight for each other while risking disaster or to walk away from their perfect love. Will the stars align for them? Or were those stars crossed from the beginning?

Though homoromanticism has always existed, history has not always looked kindly upon it, with its reception shifting from era to era. Books of this type generally portray the protagonists’ friends and loved ones as either excessively supportive or excessively malign, depending on what the author wishes to highlight. By contrast, Wong’s supporting characters are all three-dimensional with just the right balance of historical accuracy and modern sentiment. Although the prevailing views of the time period are presented believably, the secondary characters each approach the situation with varying reactions dependent upon their relationship to Lia and Scarlett. Wong colors the responses of each supporting character with a mix of compassion, concern, and awareness in a way that feels true-to-life.

The story focuses on Lia’s perspective with occasional inputs from Scarlett for the reader’s benefit, in order to clarify seemingly illogical actions or to contribute events of which Lia is unaware. This produces an insight into the tension between them that allows the reader to understand and empathize with both women at the same time. I found this approach refreshing, since it allowed me to come to my own conclusions and formulate my own opinions, rather than simply adopting the ones the author wished for me to have.

In the entirety of the book, I found absolutely nothing to dislike. Errors were few and minor, and the titles, headings, formatting, and cover were all polished and professional. The storyline was internally consistent, the characters well-rounded, and the events dramatic yet believable. Profane language was used sparingly and in ways that felt appropriate for the events. The sexual content was infrequent, veiled in euphemism, and respectfully and tastefully depicted, and so I see no reason that a teenager couldn’t enjoy this book. This novel is Wong’s first, but I eagerly await more of her work in the future.

Swearing Off Stars earns a score of 4 out of 4 for its realistic depiction of gay love in the early 20th century. It would most appeal to lovers of historical fiction, particularly of the Roaring 20’s, and to romantics. Readers with a distaste for homosexuality should steer clear.

Swearing Off Stars
View: on Bookshelves
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The book sounds amazing. Thanks for the review.
Samantha Gayle
Favorite Book: The Great Divorce
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-gayle.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B0BJLXMVMV

Post by Samantha Gayle »

Thanks for this review! I love historical fiction and this era of time. Your review has me invested in the two protagonists all ready and will be adding this book to my list. Thanks again!
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

This is a great review, I truly enjoyed it. It looks like an interesting book, well-written and meaningful. I would gladly read it.
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

This book sounds great! Thanks for your review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

Roaring 20's😄.
As a lover of historical fiction as well as romance, this book appeals to me. And, although I don't really subscribe to homosexuality, I'd like to know what it was like in the 20th century.
This is a really good review.
Live and let live, baby.
Tablito
Favorite Book: The Mountain and The Goat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tablito.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Tablito »

The women's movement that Scarlett introduces Lia to gives the book an out of the ordinary feeling.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

This sounds like fun. I'm not too fascinated by romance, but seems like this will change my perspective. I loved your review.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! The book seems to be engaging and inspiring. I might give it a try!
evraealtana
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

shreyagupta wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 03:54 The book sounds amazing. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Samantha Gayle wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 05:42 Thanks for this review! I love historical fiction and this era of time. Your review has me invested in the two protagonists all ready and will be adding this book to my list. Thanks again!
You are so welcome! I'm glad it interested you. Thanks for stopping by!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Olgamiell wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 10:06 This is a great review, I truly enjoyed it. It looks like an interesting book, well-written and meaningful. I would gladly read it.
I hope you do; I enjoyed it immensely, and I agree with your assessment. Thank you so much for your time and your kind words :)
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 10:58 This book sounds great! Thanks for your review!
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it :)
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 04:46 Roaring 20's😄.
As a lover of historical fiction as well as romance, this book appeals to me. And, although I don't really subscribe to homosexuality, I'd like to know what it was like in the 20th century.
This is a really good review.
Thank you very much! :tiphat:
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Nonny2208 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 13:23 This sounds like fun. I'm not too fascinated by romance, but seems like this will change my perspective. I loved your review.
Thank you very much! This book is unapologetically a romance from start to finish, but I think it has enough historical fiction to grab people who aren't usually fans of the romance genre. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”