Official Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Official Review: Thuroks by E. B. Eskca

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thuroks" by E. B. Eskca.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thuroks by E. B. Eskca is a science fiction novel with a fantasy flavor. On the planet Rhanrese, pure energy is used as nourishment. When a starving king has Queen Rhakmelei of Annahriheim kidnapped, her husband, King Egrhothurok, has little options to rescue her before she gets completely drained of her energy. The main problem is that the kidnappers someway passed through the veil, a forcefield that separates the kingdoms, which was supposed to be impenetrable. The priests say a god assisted the kidnappers, which suggests that another god might help King Egrhothurok, allowing his men to rescue Queen Rhakmelei. However, the gods rarely meddle with humans, so how to find one who would listen to King Egrhothurok's plea? A young priest offers what seems a far-fetched idea, but with no alternatives, King Egrhothurok must go on a quest to save his wife.

This novel is set on another planet that hosts an ancient civilization. Its inhabitants have advanced technologies that include computers and starships, so there's no doubt that it belongs to the science fiction genre. However, the author developed the story using elements typical of the fantasy genre as the planet is divided into kingdoms with a feudal society, there are gods that turn out to be more powerful than the most powerful technologies, and an important part of the plot is a quest.

In some ways, this novel reminded me of stories from the pulp magazine era between the 1930s and the 1950s. At that time, science fiction authors often used fantasy elements, so sometimes you could read stories that had a strong heroic fantasy flavor set on another planet. Today, that kind of story has more success in cinema such as the Star Wars movies, but there are still fans of this kind of literature.

The ideas that form this novel are not particularly original, but E. B. Eskca used them in a way that keeps readers engaged. That's because the mix of elements is used to create twists and turns that are not easily predictable. That's what I appreciated the most in the novel.

One thing I didn't like is the novel's structure, made of only 6 very long chapters. Even line breaks are rare, and that's a bit annoying when you want to stop reading because finding the right place when the narrative switches to a different point of view or skips ahead in time can be difficult.

Another round of proofreading would be useful because I found several errors, especially of punctuation. They didn't detract from my enjoyment, but their number forced me to take a star from my rating. Overall, it's a great novel, told using an evocative language, that keeps readers engaged with great imagination in mixing science fiction and fantasy elements. For these reasons, my rating is 3 out of 4 stars. It contains neither profanities nor sexual references, so it's suitable for young readers. I recommend Thuroks to readers looking for an unusual story based on kings and a quest.

Thuroks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I like reading fantasy novels. I’ve read many stories that take place on a different planet. But this one seems unusual. I surely want to give this a try. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

I like the realm fantasy novel put me.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 01:21 I like reading fantasy novels. I’ve read many stories that take place on a different planet. But this one seems unusual. I surely want to give this a try. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Yes, you could say this is a fantasy space opera with the fantasy elements even more stressed than in Star Wars. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Dayodiola wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 01:43 I like the realm fantasy novel put me.
Have fun, and thank you for commenting!
Massimo
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love the storyline already! Your awesome review did justice to the book. I hope the author heeds your advice. Thanks for the review and recommendation.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Saint Bruno wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 04:56 I love the storyline already! Your awesome review did justice to the book. I hope the author heeds your advice. Thanks for the review and recommendation.
There's still a lot the author could tell about the planet and its kingdoms. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Frankly speaking the idea of mixing feudal society with advanced technologies is a bit weird. Still, I believe, this book worth trying, and the cover is just amazing :) Thanks for a great review!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Ellylion wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 09:59 Frankly speaking the idea of mixing feudal society with advanced technologies is a bit weird. Still, I believe, this book worth trying, and the cover is just amazing :) Thanks for a great review!
Well, in classic science fiction those elements were often mixed, today far less, which is why this novel can seem strange. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have wanted to review this book, but couldn't seem to get it on kindle. I'm happy to see it seems to be as good as I hoped! A shame about the grammar errors though; hopefully the author will fix those. Still, this sounds like a great book. Thanks for this insightful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This books sounds really interesting. How did you end up deciding when to put the book down (considering there doesn't sound to be many natural breaks in the book)? Thanks for the great review!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Wow, sci-fi and fantasy are my favorite genres, but your review leaves me perplexed :D. I like books with a compact and logical structure, as long books without breaks are kind of tiresome.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

NDeMeer wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 13:23 I have wanted to review this book, but couldn't seem to get it on kindle. I'm happy to see it seems to be as good as I hoped! A shame about the grammar errors though; hopefully the author will fix those. Still, this sounds like a great book. Thanks for this insightful review!
Luckily the errors are little things like a full stop instead of a comma, but correcting them would indeed improve the book. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Rwill0988 wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 18:27 This books sounds really interesting. How did you end up deciding when to put the book down (considering there doesn't sound to be many natural breaks in the book)? Thanks for the great review!
When a "scene" seemed to end, I put the book down. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Sou Hi wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 22:02 Wow, sci-fi and fantasy are my favorite genres, but your review leaves me perplexed :D. I like books with a compact and logical structure, as long books without breaks are kind of tiresome.
Yes, the readability would be improved by breaks. I even wondered if there was a problem in the conversion to Kindle format. Thank you for commenting!
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”