Review by Valkyrie9 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Review by Valkyrie9 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by Valkyrie9 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‘In a lot of ways, I wasn’t just discovering the people of Voulhire, I was discovering people in general. I was discovering me.’

Imagine a world where faith, science, and magic play equal parts in the rules of existence; where people inevitably favour one over the others; and where bringing these three elements together in just the right proportions could bring about great change and great power.

Galen Bray, a refugee from the war-torn Lands of the Princes, has known poverty his whole life. When his great uncle dies, leaving his house, forge, and wealth to Galen, he also sends him his papers – Galen’s ticket out of the Lands of the Princes. Without a second thought, Galen climbs aboard the first ship to Magnum Caelum, a small town on the coast of the great and vast empire of Voulhire. Wide-eyed, innocent, and unaccustomed to people who are not as they seem, Galen sets out on this new adventure under Voulhire’s great skies.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is but the first novel in what promises to be an epic series following the adventures of Galen, and the political, economical, and magical struggles and successes of the great nation of Voulhire.

This is merely an introductory novel. As pointed out by the author, if this series were to be a television series, We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies would merely be the first episode. The reader is introduced to the important role players and to each of the main storylines; however, none of the conflicts is resolved. This is only the beginning.

Although Galen is clearly intended to be the main character, a large portion of the book is devoted to other important characters. These include Lord Eldus, the new lord of Hillport; King Wilhelm, king of Voulhire; the Riva Rohavi, a terrorist group whose end goal is the complete and utter destruction of Voulhire; and the mysteriously evil and supposedly dead mage-general, Lord Meldorath.

The chapters alternately focus on the different characters or groups to give the reader insight into the perspectives of the various role players. For the most part, the narrative is in the third person, with the exception of when a chapter revolves around Galen. These chapters are told in the first person narrative.

The lavish, almost archaic, diction chosen by the author perfectly complements the setting of this medieval fantasy. The reader is drawn in and completely immersed in the story from the very beginning.

The author has the extraordinary ability to write his characters in such a way that the reader cannot help but connect with them. In just the first 17 pages, Tysz manages to have the reader absolutely loathing one character, admiring another, and feeling the uncertainty and fear of yet another. Needless to say, my favourite aspect of this novel is the exceptional character design and world-building. A map is even included in the first pages to aid the reader in picturing the great kingdom of Voulhire. This speaks to the vast thought and effort the author has put into building his world.

If there were anything I had to change about this book, it would be the puerile manner in which Lord Orlin chose his victims and the childishness of the biomage. Neither of these matched the maturity seen in the rest of the narrative.

Due to the nature of the typographical errors that I found, I would say that the pdf version that I received to review was not professionally edited – one word was unnecessarily in a different colour and font, and more than once a capital letter followed a dash in the middle of a sentence. However, due to the minimal number of errors that did not relate to formatting, it is likely that the official version of this book was professionally edited.

I would recommend this book to all lovers of fantasy; however, due to the use of profanity and the sexual inferences, it is not suitable for younger or sensitive readers.

All things considered, I wholly enjoyed this book and I am pleased to award it 4 out of 4 stars. Provided the author keeps up this standard, I can easily see this series joining the likes of The Magician’s Guild by Trudi Canavan and Eragon by Christopher Paolini on the shelves of fantasy enthusiasts across the reading world. I eagerly await the opportunity to read the next instalment, We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Madelien
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Madelien »

Sounds like a must read! Excellent review.
Chemcool

Post by Chemcool »

This is not my first reply on this voluntary reviews by Valkyrie-9, but I have to say this review caught my attention in milliseconds! Not that I am a big fan of novels but rather history and past lifestyles combined with some sort of warfare, therefore it was easy reading the whole review. I must admit my creative English writing is no where to be compared to this of this voluntary review and that is why I immediately developed more end more respect for Valkyrie-9 top of the range English creative writing. I have to pull closer google definitions and translating applications for me to follow some vocabulary used by Valkyrie-9, but that been said, that is what I expect from a good voluntary review.
It is easy noticeable how Valkyrie-9, more than once and in previous reviews as well as this one, easily distinguish the importance of sensitive readers e.g. profanity.
That is why I in person would not read this book and Valkyrie-9 has reached goal with this review. Its about what Valkyrie-9 accomplished with this review.
Besides creative writing I noticed Valkyrie-9 skills regarding technical editor skills requirements.
It now becomes fun for me to follow and read Valkyrie-9's voluntary reviews.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Madelien wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 05:05 Sounds like a must read! Excellent review.
Hi Madelien! Thanks so much for stopping by and that I can always count on you for a comment :tiphat: 8)
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Chemcool wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 07:06 This is not my first reply on this voluntary reviews by Valkyrie-9, but I have to say this review caught my attention in milliseconds! Not that I am a big fan of novels but rather history and past lifestyles combined with some sort of warfare, therefore it was easy reading the whole review. I must admit my creative English writing is no where to be compared to this of this voluntary review and that is why I immediately developed more end more respect for Valkyrie-9 top of the range English creative writing. I have to pull closer google definitions and translating applications for me to follow some vocabulary used by Valkyrie-9, but that been said, that is what I expect from a good voluntary review.
It is easy noticeable how Valkyrie-9, more than once and in previous reviews as well as this one, easily distinguish the importance of sensitive readers e.g. profanity.
That is why I in person would not read this book and Valkyrie-9 has reached goal with this review. Its about what Valkyrie-9 accomplished with this review.
Besides creative writing I noticed Valkyrie-9 skills regarding technical editor skills requirements.
It now becomes fun for me to follow and read Valkyrie-9's voluntary reviews.
Hi Chemcool! Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot to see you here! :tiphat: Despite the quite minimal profanity, the story really was excellent. :techie-reference:
Reading eyes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Reading eyes »

Another great review. Thanks for giving us such an intriguing glimpse of what this series could be. I hope it lives up to the promise you have seen in this first book. Anyone who enjoys entering a new world through the eyes of an author should enjoy this one.
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Reading eyes wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 01:13 Another great review. Thanks for giving us such an intriguing glimpse of what this series could be. I hope it lives up to the promise you have seen in this first book. Anyone who enjoys entering a new world through the eyes of an author should enjoy this one.
Hi Reading eyes! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, and for your kind words. It is much appreciated! :tiphat: The author has certainly created a unique and intriguing world for his readers. :techie-studyinggray:
Easyaspi

Post by Easyaspi »

Valkyrie-9,

I see you are starting to write amazing reviews :tiphat:

That one makes me want to go out and buy the book.

I feel like I have already started reading and want to continue! :D

Thank you for the attention to detail and the heads up on the 'sensitivity areas' - I always feel a great story does not need such content/material.

Never the less you have convinced me that the book will be a good read.

Thank You
Bansir
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Easyaspi wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 11:40 Valkyrie-9,

I see you are starting to write amazing reviews :tiphat:

That one makes me want to go out and buy the book.

I feel like I have already started reading and want to continue! :D

Thank you for the attention to detail and the heads up on the 'sensitivity areas' - I always feel a great story does not need such content/material.

Never the less you have convinced me that the book will be a good read.

Thank You
Bansir
Hi easyaspi! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment! It is so appreciated. I think you would enjoy this story. :techie-studyingbrown:
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

You certainly have a keen eye for detail and a talent for writing! I agree with the comment you made about the author creating characters that readers can connect with. I also read Eragon and found some similarities between that series and this one.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Valkyrie9

Post by Valkyrie9 »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 17:29 You certainly have a keen eye for detail and a talent for writing! I agree with the comment you made about the author creating characters that readers can connect with. I also read Eragon and found some similarities between that series and this one.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Hi Josephe-Anne! Welcome and thank you so much for your kind words! :tiphat: It is always so wonderful to find people who enjoy similar genres :techie-studyingbrown:
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I agree with your analysis of this book! I read it too and found it that intriguing. Good job!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This is definitely one of the best reviews I've read on this book, I like how you outlined all the noteworthy features of this book. I also picked up the names of a couple of books I'd like to check out. Thank you for that.
This series is happens to be my favorite ATM.
Live and let live, baby.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Excellent character design and world-building is this book’s strongest features. I enjoyed reading your review. It is very detailed and insightful.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

This is an awesome book, I have read it and I loved it! Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”