Official Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Official Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy

Post by Teele »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy" by H. Nattanya Andersen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Boeing 727 engine exploded mid-air. On August 24, 2001, Air Transact flight 236 crash-landed after gliding over the ocean for about 30 minutes. Gimli Boeing 767 ran out of fuel at 36,000 feet altitude at Manitoba, Canada. Wondering what these incidents have in common? They left survivors behind. Survivors who have to nurse their hidden wounds. Post-traumatic stress disorder eats away at the very core. A visible injury elicits compassion. And sometimes, treatment can be quite easy. But how do you treat an injury of the mind? Psychologists, psychiatrists, and experts in various fields have endeavored to give reasonable answers. But despite all the advancements in medicine, have we really found a solution? Or have we compounded the problem? The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen is a gripping tale of how the author overcame the hurdles of PTSD.

Right from the onset, the author makes it clear that this book should not be taken as a substitute for professional medical diagnosis and treatment. Going deeper into the book, we find detailed and well-referenced information on the meaning, symptoms, and modes of treatment of PTSD. Another section is devoted to the effects of antidepressants on patients. We also find extensive information on neurosis as a whole, its diagnosis, and symptoms.

Where exactly is the boundary between depression and insanity? What sorts of jobs or events can lead to PTSD? Find out from this book. I selected this book, wondering what could fill the pages of such a voluminous book on PTSD. After reading the first few chapters, however, I was hooked. It was heart-rending to read about the horrors of PTSD, and how well-meaning people can make life more difficult for sufferers.

I loved the simplicity of this book. There were no obscure medical terms. The author's first-hand experience gives this book a touch of originality. I observed that the author's favored modes of treatment might be viewed as unconventional. But then, we all have a right to our views. However, tapping from my previous knowledge on PTSD, I found much of her sentiments agreeable.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found minimal errors, which shows the book was professionally edited. If you happen to know of someone struggling with PTSD, or if you are trying to cope with it, you may find it helpful to read this book.

The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
View: on Bookshelves
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

The title of this book intrigues me. It migh stir controversy in the medical community. It reminds me of a book about treating nicotine addicition in an novel way.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

I admit that some terms here are obscure. I'll pass on this one. Good book.
Wycliffe32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wycliffe32.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Wycliffe32 »

I would read this book just to understand what PTSD is and exactly how it affects people and from the review it first hand experience from the author. Sounds interesting
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

This sounds like a survivor's note. Thanks for the review
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems quite informative. I surely want to read this one. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Tsholo2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsholo2030.html
Latest Review: Chronic Heavy Metal Poisoning vs. Your Health by Dr. David Maloney
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tsholo2030 »

Thank you for the great review
I'm very fond of educational books especially those that are mostly based on health care and treatments. I want to know more that this book has to share with us. I'm ready to read it.
sweet_lhyneilla24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sweet_lhyneilla24 »

I just want to know more about this book.. What could be the fine line between insanity ang anxiety.. Can't wait to laid my eyes on it thank you for the review
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I find it alarming that there are jobs that could lead to PTSD. I wonder what those are. Thank you for the review.
Tabbi+20
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: By Faith & Daring
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabbi-20.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Tabbi+20 »

Would like to read it, just to know how to handle a person going through PSTD and for personal enlightening. Thanks for the review.
AGreatUsername
Currently Reading: Walks of Life
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AGreatUsername »

sssns wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 00:38 I find it alarming that there are jobs that could lead to PTSD. I wonder what those are. Thank you for the review.
Any job that exposes worker to trauma can lead to PTSD. Firefighter, police, EMT, nurse, soldier.
AGreatUsername
Currently Reading: Walks of Life
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AGreatUsername »

This sounds like an interesting read for a trauma survivor. I'm curious how the author overcame their disorder. Thank you for the thoughtful review.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

AGreatUsername wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 20:06
sssns wrote: 27 Sep 2020, 00:38 I find it alarming that there are jobs that could lead to PTSD. I wonder what those are. Thank you for the review.
Any job that exposes worker to trauma can lead to PTSD. Firefighter, police, EMT, nurse, soldier.
Oh, I see! I will make a mental note. Thank you so much for the additonal information.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

PTSD is one truoblesome illness that eat's away at ones psyche. I like the simplicity of your review, makes me want to read the book. Thanks for the review.
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

As a medical student,I agree to the fact that this book is opinionated yet I admit to some and majority of her sentiments. The author gives her own experience which makes the book more interesting. It's an amazing book for someone struggling with PTSD and libes on medications.
I recommend it for someone with a passion for psychometrics and psychology

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”