Official Review: An Uphill Climb by Jim Santos

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: An Uphill Climb by Jim Santos

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Uphill Climb" by Jim Santos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jim Santos was not a likely candidate to hike the Inca Trail. At almost 60 years old, well over 200 pounds, and struggling with a drinking problem, he was in no condition to take on the grueling four-day path through the mountains leading to Machu Picchu. After living through childhood trauma and then the grief of losing his first wife to cancer, Santos was stuck in a cycle of depression and guilt, which he identified as Survivor’s Guilt. He eventually married again and was determined to allow himself to feel accomplished and happy. Santos decided to take on the Inca Trail to prove to himself that he could achieve great things. He was hopeful that setting this goal for himself and working to meet it would help him finally break free of the crushing weight of Survivor’s Guilt.

An Uphill Climb by Jim Santos is a nonfiction book that is part memoir, part travelogue. The book is broken down into two parts. In the first part, Santos switches between his own journal entries from three different time periods: in 2008 leading up to his wife’s death, in 2009 when he attempted to move forward with his life as a widower, and in 2016 and 2017 during the year he trained and prepared for the Inca Trail hike. He also provides insights into his family history and childhood trauma. Switching between these different formative times in his life helps the reader understand where his Survivor’s Guilt came from and why he wanted to take on such an incredible task. Part two of the book follows Santos and his wife along the Inca Trail. He records their ups and downs on their quest to make it to Machu Picchu by sunrise on the fourth day.

I really enjoyed the author’s voice throughout the book. He spoke with raw honesty about his past trauma and his successes and setbacks as he prepared for his hike. He didn’t try to make himself sound better than he was or provide excuses for his weaknesses. He fully owned his choices and mistakes and explained how he would try to do better next time. He spoke with a sarcastic, self-deprecating humor that made me feel like I was swapping stories with a friend.

I also enjoyed that he included photos of his journey. These photos included those taken along the Inca Trail, as well as from his training hikes all around Ecuador, which was his home base during the year he prepared for the hike. The photos were not professional quality, but they were still colorful and nicely done, and it made the book feel even more authentic. His candid descriptions of the hike itself really helped me understand just how strenuous it was. He did not sugarcoat the journey or try to convince others to do the hike themselves. He was honest that it is not for everyone. It should only be done with proper training and equipment.

I can’t think of anything I disliked about this book. I did notice some errors, but they were minor and didn’t take away from the story. I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There is some profanity included in this book, as well as some references to abuse, so readers sensitive to that content should proceed with caution. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys travel, especially if they have considered hiking the Inca Trail themselves. It would also be a great read for anyone attempting to overcome past trauma.

An Uphill Climb
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

Santos Inca Trail seems to tell of the journey of bravery rather than a process of healing. Nice write-up.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

The review is comprehensive enough to make readers decide whether to read it or not. Thanks.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

A travelogue is fun to read. This book seems to be informative as well. I would like to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review!
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

This book is very up-close and personal. I really love hiking. I will definitely read this book, with the hope that it will encourage me to climb higher mountains.
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

This book is very up-close and personal. I really love hiking. I will definitely read this book, with the hope that it will encourage me to climb higher mountains.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

A memoir and a travelogue - very nice combination. I would be interested in knowing more about how Jim conquer the Inca Trail.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love such books very much! It's a must-read for me indeed. I always enjoy travelers' stories and this one seems to be very engaging and exceptional, considering the previous traumatic experience of the author. Thank you for this great review! :)
difu
Currently Reading: The Demon of the Well
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-difu.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by difu »

I really enjoyed reading this review and i appreciate the work that was put in. I am always excited to read any book with a 4 stars rating. I will love to experience the writer's honesty as described in the review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

TCG wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 01:51 Santos Inca Trail seems to tell of the journey of bravery rather than a process of healing. Nice write-up.
Thanks for commenting!

Ify_Reviewer wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 03:15 The review is comprehensive enough to make readers decide whether to read it or not. Thanks.
Thanks for stopping by!

Honest-reviewer wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 04:32 A travelogue is fun to read. This book seems to be informative as well. I would like to read this someday. Thanks for your wonderful review!
I hope you enjoy it if you do end up reading it. Thanks for your comment!

kathy2705 wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 20:05 This book is very up-close and personal. I really love hiking. I will definitely read this book, with the hope that it will encourage me to climb higher mountains.
I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

Ada Ling wrote: 30 Aug 2020, 20:32 A memoir and a travelogue - very nice combination. I would be interested in knowing more about how Jim conquer the Inca Trail.
Thanks for commenting!

Ellylion wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 08:53 I love such books very much! It's a must-read for me indeed. I always enjoy travelers' stories and this one seems to be very engaging and exceptional, considering the previous traumatic experience of the author. Thank you for this great review! :)
Thanks for stopping by to comment!

difu wrote: 01 Sep 2020, 12:49 I really enjoyed reading this review and i appreciate the work that was put in. I am always excited to read any book with a 4 stars rating. I will love to experience the writer's honesty as described in the review.
I hope you enjoy the book if you decide to read it. Thanks for commenting!
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I find the author's story inspirational, and this book seems to be more than just a memoir and a travelogue.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Wow, a self-help story with photo included, what an exotic book. This is interesting.
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Thanks for the review! The book seems to be engaging and inspiring. I might give it a try!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

aaurba wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 05:48 I find the author's story inspirational, and this book seems to be more than just a memoir and a travelogue.
Thanks for commenting!

Sou Hi wrote: 02 Sep 2020, 07:57 Wow, a self-help story with photo included, what an exotic book. This is interesting.
Thank you for your comment!

adhambakry wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 06:45 Thanks for the review! The book seems to be engaging and inspiring. I might give it a try!
Thanks for stopping by!
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Indeed hiking are not for specific people, am a good fun of hiking, great review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”