Review by Kirsi_78 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review by Kirsi_78 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After an exhausting sea voyage, Galen finally sets his feet on dry land again. He is a young refugee coming from the most seriously war-torn place on earth, The Land of Princes. He has been lucky enough to get a ticket out of this hellhole by inheriting his uncle’s property in the rich and beautiful land of Voulhire. Galen is thankful for the chance given to him and determined to make a good life with his fresh beginning. At the time being, he’s only able to see the beautiful surface of Voulhire. Hidden from his eyes but not located too far away, Meldorath, considerably the most powerful wizard of human history, is captured on an island and guarded by an armada of battleships. The wicked wizard is patiently waiting for the day of his new arrival. On the other end of the empire, the fierce dancing rebels of Riva Rohavi are waiting for their chance to slaughter the citizens of Voulhire they have learned to hate. Gullible, peace-loving, and good-natured, Galen knows nothing of this. He is on a journey to become worthy of his uncle’s inheritance.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the first book of the series called We are Voulhire. This book’s main purpose lies in introducing the imaginary world of Voulhire and its inhabitants to its readers. To be honest, before opening the first page, I was feeling somewhat skeptical. It is a well-known truth that the creation of an outstanding fantasy novel can be tricky. Writing a good story just isn’t enough! On the contrary, the author still has to create the whole fantasy world to match the story. However, in this case, I discovered my worries to be unnecessary. The author proved to be equipped with a noticeable amount of imagination, and the characters he had created were loveable, horrifying, and invidious, just to mention a few examples.

This book did not have traditional chapters as we are used to seeing in most of the books. Instead, it was divided into sections resembling the names of the characters. The structure of the book was clear and well-thought, and the story development skillfully organized. I felt that the rather unusual framing of the chapters was also working for the advantage of the storyline.

I felt slightly disturbed about some magic-related details throughout the story. There was naturally a reasonable amount of magic included, but at times it seemed to me, the author was simply replacing modern technology or science as we know it, with ancient magic. As an example, instead of picking up the phone and making a phone call, the characters would use mages who could whisper messages to each other’s heads over a long distance. I felt this kind of invention to be a little too obvious and unimaginative from an author who otherwise proved to have such an extraordinary talent of imagination.

I believe every major consumer of fantasy books is most likely to find We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies an enjoyable read. However, since the book contains a moderate amount of violence, I do not feel comfortable recommending it to the younger audience.

In my opinion, the author managed to accomplish his goal of introducing the surroundings and characters of his new series rather well. I am pleased to rate We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies with 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't encounter more than a few minor mistakes, which lead me to believe the book was professionally edited. I am convinced about Matthew Tysz’s skills as a writer and expect the next parts of We are Voulhire series to be even more satisfying. I look forward to opening the next book. I believe this to be the greatest compliment a sophisticated reader can deliver to any author.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

...the author was simply replacing modern technology or science as we know it, with ancient magic. True. I am glad we felt the same way about the book. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

rahilshajahan wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 11:29 ...the author was simply replacing modern technology or science as we know it, with ancient magic. True. I am glad we felt the same way about the book. Thanks for an insightful review!
I am happy to hear that I am not the only one feeling like this... :) Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!
Kirsi
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

The book features quite a number of supernatural influences. The story seems interesting, the same as the review. Thanks
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I've read the book and I am satisfied with the review. Good job!
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

Interesting observation about the magic. Thanks for the great review!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Rashida10 wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 14:59 The book features quite a number of supernatural influences. The story seems interesting, the same as the review. Thanks
Yes, I suppose it belongs to the genre to have supernatural stuff included. Thanks for reading and commenting! :)
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Star_and_Buck wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 20:19 I've read the book and I am satisfied with the review. Good job!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

xsquare wrote: 25 Aug 2020, 23:51 Interesting observation about the magic. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for your kind words! I do think the author could have done better with the issues related to magic :) but I enjoyed the book very much nevertheless!
Kirsi
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I'm not really into fantasy novels but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies seems to have a lot to offer. A great choice for fans of the genre! Thank you for your insightful review!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Dominik_G wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 06:19 I'm not really into fantasy novels but We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies seems to have a lot to offer. A great choice for fans of the genre! Thank you for your insightful review!
It is indeed a great choice for every fantasy fan. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment!
Kirsi
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

I recently read this book and I completely agree with your analysis of it. I am so glad to see how the characters and plot are universal. Thank you for the review!
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

I've attempted to read it but I was not convinced. Personally, I do not enjoy these kinds of book. So, I don't think the book has a problem. Thanks for your review.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

I may have watched way too many fantasy animes that I did not mind the author's use of telepathy as a way to somewhat replace modern technology. This is an amazing detailed review!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Miks_solon wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 23:03 I've attempted to read it but I was not convinced. Personally, I do not enjoy these kinds of book. So, I don't think the book has a problem. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for commenting! We don’t all like the same kind of books and that is totally ok! Luckily the world is full of books. :D
Kirsi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”