Review by Dentarthurdent -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dentarthurdent -- We are Voulhire: A New Arriv...

Post by Dentarthurdent »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Having grown up in the war-torn Lands of the Princes, Galen is accustomed to strife disproportionate to its rewards and an existence where lifelong toil amounts to nothing. He is suddenly delivered from this hopeless drudgery when he inherits a smithy from a mysterious great-uncle in the comparatively heavenly kingdom of Voulhire. In this strange, new land he meets the sly Rowan, with whom he embarks on an innocent mission to procure white iron, but the simple undertaking evolves into an adventure.

The beautiful thing about We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is that as Galen and Rowan travel, it is not forgotten for a second that their journey is simply a path forged in a world where bigger drama, forces and schemes are afoot. There is a dark mage, Meldorath, planning an elaborate escape, not to mention the unlucky neighbouring town of Hillport that is battered by tragedy after tragedy. These happenings are only witnessed peripherally by the protagonists during their journey. There is also the Riva Rohavi rebel force that's clandestinely working to bring down the Voulhire empire.

The tale of these two capable young men is but a slice of the cake that is Voulhire, encompassing its history, geography, leadership, as well as the key players of the time. There is a well-defined, logical world outside the story being narrated. This was hands down my favourite aspect of the book, and my main reason for giving a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The holistic nature of the characters is mainly why I felt a rating above three stars was deserved. I loved that Rowan, Galen, Lord Eldus, King Wilhelm, as well as all the other participants didn't seem to embody a single trait or idea, but instead were complex and unpredictable. Additionally, there is a map of Voulhire included, and this helps the reader visualise the journey undertaken by the protagonists with ease. Another reason for the high rating would be the meticulous editing of the book, which has very few errors. I basically have no complaints about the work.

This is the perfect introductory book for a series set in a fictional world, where one is familiarised with the layout, history and other key elements. Matthew Tysz has written a wonderful fantasy/adventure read that I'd recommend to all fans of the genre above the age of sixteen. The age limit would be due to the presence of profanity, as well as mature concepts like paedophilia and a mention of human experiments. From this you can tell that this is a bit of a dark book, and if you don't mind that in your fictional adventures, then you'll enjoy it even more.

Fans of fast-paced or more drama-driven works may not enjoy We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, seeing as its climax occurs at the very end. It leaves the reader with many questions and a desire to know the characters and their motives better. The reader will be positively itching to get their hands on the sequel, and this I know because it's what I'm doing right now.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

You're right, as a premise to the series this book is very intriguing :) Thanks for a great review!
NDeMeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndemeer.html
Latest Review: Sormara The Evil Tome by Sandra L. Reel

Post by NDeMeer »

I have just finished reading and reviewing this book myself as well and I'm happy to say I loved it every bit as much as you did! I gotta admit I totally forgot about the map while reading, haha! But yes, the characters are very well worked out and the world building is fantastic. Thanks for this wonderful review!
Happy reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This is a wonderful book. I’ve reviewed 3 books from this series and all three are great. Brilliant review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Ellylion wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 06:01 You're right, as a premise to the series this book is very intriguing :) Thanks for a great review!
I'm glad you agree! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment, it means a lot to me.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

NDeMeer wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 07:27 I have just finished reading and reviewing this book myself as well and I'm happy to say I loved it every bit as much as you did! I gotta admit I totally forgot about the map while reading, haha! But yes, the characters are very well worked out and the world building is fantastic. Thanks for this wonderful review!
I agree, the book was quite meticulously plotted and executed. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well. Thanks so much for commenting!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 11:01 This is a wonderful book. I’ve reviewed 3 books from this series and all three are great. Brilliant review!
Thanks so much for your kind words. As for the series, I'm currently two books in and hooked! Many thanks for stopping by!!
xsquare
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xsquare.html
Latest Review: Kitty and Kat - MiceQuest by Robert Beals III

Post by xsquare »

I've just read this book myself and I have to say that you were spot-on with how the action occurred at the very end of the book. Looking forward to reading the next in the series as well. Thanks for the great review!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

This goes to show that Matthew Tysz is a master story teller. Lots of positive reviews for the books in this series. Good job and thanks for your recommendation.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I wholly agree with you that Matthew Tysz wrote a "perfect introductory book" for the We are Voulhire series. Even if the author said that the book will be slow, I actually liked the book's pacing. It didn't feel too slow, and the language used is simple.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I haven't read any book in this series yet, but sounds like they are really interesting. I enjoyed your review very much and hope to read this soon. Thanks for your great review!
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

I feel like I'll have to read all the books in this series,great review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

xsquare wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 01:27 I've just read this book myself and I have to say that you were spot-on with how the action occurred at the very end of the book. Looking forward to reading the next in the series as well. Thanks for the great review!
I'm glad we both enjoyed the book! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 01:32 This goes to show that Matthew Tysz is a master story teller. Lots of positive reviews for the books in this series. Good job and thanks for your recommendation.
I agree, there is something about Tysz that makes him inimitable in world building and character development. Thanks for stopping by, and I do hope you enjoy the book when you read it.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

aaurba wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 06:17 I wholly agree with you that Matthew Tysz wrote a "perfect introductory book" for the We are Voulhire series. Even if the author said that the book will be slow, I actually liked the book's pacing. It didn't feel too slow, and the language used is simple.
I'm glad you also enjoyed the book.
Thanks so much for your time!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”