Official Review: Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure" by Dr. Debra Ford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Once upon a time, there was a perpetually sunny land of carousels and rollercoasters, where visitors could experience a destination filled with free treats, toys, and friendship for all. Each starlit night, there is a sweet little girl named Emilia Rose who transforms into “a mystic with magical powers” and travels to this imaginary dream place called LiaLand. Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure is a unique children’s book by Dr. Debra Ford, Msc.D. It is also the first book in The adventures of Emilia Rose and the LiaBots series. With this collection of kid-centric tales, Dr. Ford seeks to create spiritual stories for children that are based on Connection, Balance, and Flow – the three key principles of the Tao (pronounced Dow).

In LiaLand, Emilia Rose frolics joyfully amidst a group of 8 representational LiaBots. Each one of these entities has been assigned a unique name that corresponds with whichever one of the 8 trigrams (building blocks of nature) it is meant to represent. For example, Glow is red and represents fire, while Puff is blue and moves like the wind. The LiaBots resemble miniature penguins, and the 4 female characters come accessorized with tiny bows.

The LiaBots help the girl solve mysteries, and they possess the ability to hover and fly. When Emilia Rose seeks to discover the origin of rainbows, off they go like busy bees on a mission. During their quest, they must travel through ‘NOLand,’ a dreadful place of early bedtimes and grumpy grown-ups. They also infiltrate a flock of geese and a gossipy group of birds before finally discovering the emanation point of the colored arcs in question.

This 45-page story features 19 full-page watercolor illustrations, and I greatly enjoyed the radiant conclusion to the tale. While the author wrote this tale especially for her granddaughter, she urges parents and guardians to consider substituting their own child’s name into the story, so that an even greater sense of personalization may be achieved. Kids will likely giggle at the word “brouhaha” and find the idea of wrinkly adults comical. For the adult readers, the book concludes with an informational appendix that explains more about the SolePath Institute, the Tao, and each of the associated trigrams.

As a spiritual philosophy teacher, Dr. Ford strongly endorses spiritual mysticism and spiritual balance. For readers who are hesitant to embrace the idea of yin-yang concepts and metaphysical teachings (as they relate to life’s ultimate journey), I would probably not recommend this one. There was nothing at all I disliked about this sweet story, and I feel this title makes an excellent junior companion to one of Dr. Ford’s earlier books: Daily Pulse, rhythm of the Tao.

Themes of teamwork, bravery, perseverance, and curiosity are woven throughout, and the content is appropriate for toddlers and beyond. This book would be great for intuitive learners, especially those who love to inject a little bit of fantasy and magic into their imaginative meanderings! I recently read an earlier copy of this book and encountered several errors. After it underwent a quick revision, I was asked to re-evaluate the updated PDF version, and I can confirm that a complete and comprehensive list of corrections was successfully made. I can now gladly award this book 4 out of 4 stars. If you’ve ever dreamed of hosting fanciful tea parties, where the guests wear magic glasses and are partial to lemon-chocolate cookies, then this is the right rainbow book for you!

Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure
View: on Bookshelves
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

I thought I recognized this book and now read you have done a second review of an edited revision! I am so happy to see the author has corrected the previous errors and I know so many parents and grandparents will thoroughly enjoy reading it to their children of all ages. What a wonderful fun time it must be in LiaLand!
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 09:34 I thought I recognized this book and now read you have done a second review of an edited revision! I am so happy to see the author has corrected the previous errors and I know so many parents and grandparents will thoroughly enjoy reading it to their children of all ages. What a wonderful fun time it must be in LiaLand!
Thank you for the kind words of support! I am glad that a quick revision made this little picture book of concepts all that it could be and more. Small children will be absolutely fascinated by LiaLand and all of the surprises it holds! :rainbow:
Maryann Ezeugwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Maryann Ezeugwu »

The themes interwoven in this book like you stated are exactly what I need to impact to the children around me. I am glad this book is available to help me with that. Great review!
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

I believe I may have commented on your earlier review of this book, and I am once again impressed! The author has created a magical land that both children and adults can enjoy, and has taken the time to correct any grammatical errors. This shows her dedication to her craft! Thanks for the great review.
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
AvidBibliophile

Maryann Ezeugwu wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 02:33 The themes interwoven in this book like you stated are exactly what I need to impact to the children around me. I am glad this book is available to help me with that. Great review!
Children (and adults alike) can and will be colorfully impacted by this unique tale, that’s for sure! I so greatly appreciate you coming by to read, reflect, and leave a sweet word. Thank you!
AvidBibliophile

Valkyrie9 wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 02:35 I believe I may have commented on your earlier review of this book, and I am once again impressed! The author has created a magical land that both children and adults can enjoy, and has taken the time to correct any grammatical errors. This shows her dedication to her craft! Thanks for the great review.
Haha, yes, I think we’ve been down this road before, but it truly means a lot that you came by again to peruse this one and re-comment! The previous one got unpublished to make room for this new rating, so I admire the author tremendously for that very dedication you mentioned. Thanks for the friendly support!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The idea of Tao in a children's book - wow, that's really unusual but so intriguing! :) Also, how great that the book centers around so many important themes and subjects! Thanks for this amazing review :)
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

I think Adults would benefit from this book as well if you can get past the idea that it's a children's book. It seems like it has a lot more than meets the eye.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

This book seems like a wonderful gift for my niece. She is a lot like Emilia. Thanks for a delightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

" Dr. Ford seeks to create spiritual stories for children that are based on Connection, Balance, and Flow – the three key principles of the Tao (pronounced Dow)." - Curious how Tao gets into the stories. Thanks for the great review!
AvidBibliophile

Ellylion wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 06:00 The idea of Tao in a children's book - wow, that's really unusual but so intriguing! :) Also, how great that the book centers around so many important themes and subjects! Thanks for this amazing review :)
Dr. Debra Ford possesses quite the wealth of Tao knowledge, and it’s such a treat to be able to experience those teachings in a children’s book format. Really unique approach for sure!
AvidBibliophile

buttercake20+ wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 10:16 I think Adults would benefit from this book as well if you can get past the idea that it's a children's book. It seems like it has a lot more than meets the eye.
Very true! As an adult, I actually love reading children’s books from time to time; it helps refresh my literary mind palate I think. Sweet illustrations can always bring happiness to a story! Thank you for reading and commenting.
AvidBibliophile

rahilshajahan wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 16:35 This book seems like a wonderful gift for my niece. She is a lot like Emilia. Thanks for a delightful review!
Aww, well it would be a perfect fit then! Sweet little girls would just love the mix of colorful characters, cookies, and rainbow adventures. Thanks so much for the sweet words of support!
AvidBibliophile

Ada Ling wrote: 24 Aug 2020, 12:01 " Dr. Ford seeks to create spiritual stories for children that are based on Connection, Balance, and Flow – the three key principles of the Tao (pronounced Dow)." - Curious how Tao gets into the stories. Thanks for the great review!
The 8 trigrams being assigned to tangible characters with names and personalities really helps personify the abstract concepts of the Tao. Great little storybook! Thanks for the sweet words.

Return to “Children's Books”