Review by BeachCat-745309 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BeachCat-745309
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beachcat-745309.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Review by BeachCat-745309 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arri...

Post by BeachCat-745309 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz explores the world of the Cosmos and its counterpart Caromentis in the land of Voulhire. Being the first book in a series of nine, it establishes a steampunk fantasy with dark science fiction elements that bring mystery and horror to the overall narrative. The first book follows Galen Bray making his landfall to Voulhire in Magnum Caelum and Lord Eldus, a new arrival meant to act as the leader of the town of Hillport. Though there are character viewpoint chapters, these two are the main ones consistent to the narrative.

We are Voulhire's{/i} greatest strength is its approach to depicting magic as otherworldly and not defined by elements seen in most fantasies such as wind, earth, water, as well as fire. Magic in this book has a distinctive application of being of another world producing both terrifying and wondrous results. This brings an excitement factor for readers who want to see fantasy staples such as magic redefined in a new light.

Another aspect of We are Voulhire that will excite readers is the interaction of the worlds of Cosmos and Caromentis as both coexist as a reality versus fantasy setting. For example, the book in its own words says to not chase dragons in a metaphorical sense of looking for something that is not there rather then a literal dragon. The interaction of these two worlds is interesting to see and its relationship to the events of the book create a suspenseful atmosphere.

A New Arrival Under Great Skies is strange in that it does not have any narrative flow problems that I could spot. What I must warn about the book however, is that it could repel readers with its visceral descriptions in the cases of outright dark and disgusting subjects. Some moments in this book require a strong stomach to say the least. This is not say that these subjects should not be talked about, but it is a conscious risk on the authors part as a reader who might be seeking a fantasy series might instead retrieve traumatic imagery they will not want.

Matthew Tysz A New Arrival Under Great Skies{/i] of the We are Voulhire series gets a 4 out of 4 for creating an unique setting of fantasy meets industrial steampunk, science fiction, and horror. The main caveat is that the reader should expect dark and uncomfortable themes as the book does not hold back. The book is excellent and I recommend it if the interested reader wants a mature fictional world that challenges the readers sensitivity to subjects that they would not typically see in most mediums.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”